Rugby Union

kiwififer

I thought Southern Knights v Watsonians was a good game...  It was nothing more than an aperitif for the Southern Knights v Heriots game.

I think that was about the most entertaining game of rugby I've seen since the 38-38 game v England.

I thought the Heriots scrum half looked a tremendous young Scottish prospect, however there is one small snag...  I think he's English! 

So far every match I've seen in the Super Six has been terrific.  None of them have been kick-chase shite, all have had tremendous ambition!

It is now my league of choice.

Yours

aDONis

Edited by aDONisSheep

9 minutes ago, aDONisSheep said:

I thought Southern Knights v Watsonians was a good game...  It was nothing more than an aperitif for the Southern Knights v Heriots game.

I think that was about the most entertaining game of rugby I've seen since the 38-38 game v England.

I thought the Heriots scrum half looked a tremendous young Scottish prospect, however there is one small snag...  I think he's English! 

So far every match I've seen in the Super Six has been terrific.  None of them have been kick-chase shite, all have had tremendous ambition!

It is now my league of choice.

Yours

aDONis

I've watched a few of the games and thought the standard of play has been really good, however im not sure the standard of the players is that great (if that makes sense). The last game I watched, (Ayr vs Heriots i think) you had Nairn and Thornton as standouts, even though they never made an impact at Glasgow. 

Hopefully it helps bring the youngsters through, and there has been a good crop come through towards the end of last year, and it looks like the standard of coaching is decent

26 minutes ago, honestly united said:

I've watched a few of the games and thought the standard of play has been really good, however im not sure the standard of the players is that great (if that makes sense). The last game I watched, (Ayr vs Heriots i think) you had Nairn and Thornton as standouts, even though they never made an impact at Glasgow. 

Hopefully it helps bring the youngsters through, and there has been a good crop come through towards the end of last year, and it looks like the standard of coaching is decent

Completely agree.  The standard of player isn't as good, but I enjoy what seems to be the style of rugby.  The professional game has become soooooo defensive and tactical (Opening weekend of both the premiership and URC excepted).

Over the last two games that I watched, there were more attempts to attack with ball in hand from within the 22, than I've probably seen in three or four years of 6 Nations.

I'm also enjoying trying to pick 'future' talent from the ranks.  As I said, I thought the Heriots scrum half was excellent, and the lad Mitchell that came on for Southern Knights looked a proper menace.

I absolutely consume rugby, be it Premiership (Wasps), URC (Glasgow and Edinburgh) or International, but there is something about these semi-pro matches that just resonate with me.

Yours,

aDONis 

4 hours ago, honestly united said:

The last game I watched, (Ayr vs Heriots i think) you had Nairn and Thornton as standouts, even though they never made an impact at Glasgow.

Tbf, when I saw Ayr in round 1 I thought Thornton and in particular Nairn were poor. Some of the guys stepping down from higher levels are excellent, but others look pretty mediocre.

4 hours ago, aDONisSheep said:

I'm also enjoying trying to pick 'future' talent from the ranks.  As I said, I thought the Heriots scrum half was excellent, and the lad Mitchell that came on for Southern Knights looked a proper menace.

Mitchell looked absolutely superb for Hawick in the Premiership when he broke through as a 17 year old. If he keeps playing well he could still make it pro, but he turned down Super 6 contracts in the past to stay with Hawick so not sure rugby is a priority for him.

Kaleem Barreto, who played a couple of games fo Glasgow a few years back, has been a real standout and I'd expect him to be back involved with one of the pro teams. Someone who I wasn't aware of until recently is Duncan Munn, an 18 year old centre signed up as an injury replacement by Bouroughmuir and he's played quite a few games now and looks really good.

almost all neutral refs. Mike Adamson was due to Munster game but is injured. 

FRIDAY, 1 OCTOBER

Connacht v Vodacom Bulls – KO 19.35 IRE & UK / 20.35 ITA & SA

• The Sportsground, Galway
  • Referee: Ben Blain (SRU, 11th league game)
  • AR 1: Paul Haycock (IRFU), AR 2: Andrew Cole (IRFU),
  • TMO: Andrew McMenemy (IRFU)
  • Live on: TG4, SuperSport & Premier Sports 1

Scarlets v Emirates Lions – KO 19.35 IRE & UK / 20.35 ITA & SA

• Parc y Scarlets, Llanelli
  • Referee: Andrea Piardi (FIR, 16th league game)
  • AR 1: Elgan Williams (WRU), AR 2: Tom Spurrier (WRU),
  • TMO: Stefano Penne (FIR)
  • Live on: BBC Wales, SuperSport & Premier Sports 2

SATURDAY, 25 SEPTEMBER

Benetton v Edinburgh – KO 13.00 IRE & UK / 14.00 ITA & SA

• Stadio Comunable Di Monigo, Treviso
  • Referee: Craig Evans (WRU, 24th league game)
  • AR 1: Manuel Bottino (FIR), AR 2: Filippo Russo (FIR),
  • TMO: Jon Mason (WRU)
  • Live on: Mediaset & Premier Sports 1

Glasgow Warriors v Cell C Sharks – KO 15.00 IRE & UK / 16.00 ITA & SA

• Scotstoun Stadium, Glasgow
  • Referee: Ben Whitehouse (WRU, 76th league game)
  • AR 1: Finlay Brown (SRU), AR 2: Dunx McClement (SRU),
  • TMO: Ian Davies (WRU)
  • Live on: Premier Sports 1 & SuperSport

Zebre v Ulster – KO 17.15 IRE & UK / 18.15 ITA & SA

• Stadio Sergio Lanfranchi, Parma
  • Referee: Sam Grove-White (SRU, 16th league game)
  • AR 1: Clara Munarini (FIR), AR 2: Luca Trentin (FIR),
  • TMO: Wayne Davies (WRU)
  • Live on: URC TV & Premier Sports 2

Ospreys v Cardiff – KO 19.35 IRE & UK / 20.35 ITA & SA

• Swansea.com Stadium, Swansea
  • Referee: Marius van der Westhuizen (SARU, 4th league game)
  • AR 1: Ben Breakspear (WRU), AR 2: Jason Morris (WRU),
  • TMO: AJ Jacobs (SARU)
  • Live on: Premier Sports 1

Munster v DHL Stormers – KO 19.35 IRE & UK / 20.35 ITA & SA

• Thomond Park, Limerick
  • Referee: Andrew Brace (IRFU, 68th league game)
  • AR 1: Oisin Quinn (IRFU), AR 2: Daniel Carson (IRFU),
  • TMO: Andrew McMenemy (SRU)
  • Live on: RTÉ 2 & Premier Sports 2

SUNDAY, 3 OCTOBER

Dragons v Leinster – KO 14.00 IRE & UK / 15.00 ITA & SA

• Rodney Parade, Newport
  • Referee: AJ Jacobs (SARU, 4th league game)
  • AR 1: Aled Evans (WRU), AR 2: Jason Bessant (WRU),
  • TMO: Sean Brickell (WRU)
  • Live on: S4C, RTÉ 2 & Premier Sports 2

On 28/09/2021 at 15:26, aDONisSheep said:

Mitchell starting at 12 tonight in the battle of the top two. I haven't seen Ayr in a while but they've come onto a game after a poor start so it should be a good game. Also at Melrose, Patrick Anderson on the wing is someone I'd like to see involved with the 7s squad when they get back up and running and Euan McLaren at tighthead is showing a lot of promise after bad injuries prevented him making an impact at Glasgow. For Ayr, I'm looking forward to seeing Finlay Callaghan come off the bench as he seems highly rated at Glasgow.

Edited by afca32

Anyone got the e-mail for Warriors about entry slots? It would be very tight for me making my 'slot' as I have other things to do on Saturday. I'm guessing it won't be enforced and is only a request? I need to be in my seat 72-90mins before kick off which sounds a right laugh. 

No idea why Warriors are doing this shite, when you can rock up at football grounds with 5 times the capacity with no slots... At Saints I've been turning up 25 mins before and it's been fine even with our entry system issues. 

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

Anyone got the e-mail for Warriors about entry slots? It would be very tight for me making my 'slot' as I have other things to do on Saturday. I'm guessing it won't be enforced and is only a request? I need to be in my seat 72-90mins before kick off which sounds a right laugh. 

No idea why Warriors are doing this shite, when you can rock up at football grounds with 5 times the capacity with no slots... At Saints I've been turning up 25 mins before and it's been fine even with our entry system issues. 

I can't make it for that time either.  It's only a recommended, helpful time slot (a bit like the lateral flow tests).  I'd wager when the vaxx passports come into it then hopefully slots will be done away with...

Usually it's Scotstoun on the Friday night then off to the Shire football game on the Saturday afternoon.

However, it's the other way about this weekend.  Airdrie must be at home tomorrow so our Lowland League game "away" to Celtic B is tonight then the Warriors tomorrow.

Getting 2 points in Belfast, especially after recovering from our poor start, was brilliant, and this is before our big players come back.

However, the team have made their bed in that sense.  Tomorrow, next Saturday at home to the Lions, the following Saturday at Zebre then the Friday night at home to Leinster must be wins.  If we screw up our home games and winnable away games the pressure will be back on DW imo...

teams for the weekend 

FAm5IGpWEAghUKp?format=jpg&name=900x900

FAmUjgJXMCMSgL1?format=jpg&name=large

Sharks

1. Khwezi Mona
  2. Fez Mbatha
  3. Thomas du Toit (v/c)
  4. Le Roux Roets
  5. Ruben van Heerden
  6. Dylan Richardson
  7. Gerbrandt Grobler
  8. Phepsi Buthelezi (Capt)
  9. Ruan Pienaar
  10. Boeta Chamberlain
  11. Thaakir Abrahams
  12. Murray Koster
  13. Werner Kok
  14. Yaw Penxe
  15. Curwin Bosch

Replacements

1. Kerron van Vuuren
  2. Ntuthuko Mchunu
  3. Lourens Adriaanse
  4. Hyron Andrews
  5. Thembelani Bholi
  6. James Venter
  7. Tian Meyer
  8. Jeremy Ward

Benetton

15 Andries Coetzee (1)
14 Ratuva Tavuyara (46)
13 Tommaso Menoncello (3)
12 Joaquin Riera (16)
11 Monty Ioane (68)
10 Tomas Albornoz (1)
9 Dewaldt Duvenage (c) (57)
8 Riccardo Favretto (16)
7 Michele Lamaro (22)
6 Giovanni Pettinelli (46)
5 Federico Ruzza (72)
4 Carl Wegner (1)
3 Tiziano Pasquali (84)
2 Gianmarco Lucchesi (16)
1 Nahuel Chaparro (1)

A disposizione: 16 Giacomo Nicotera (3), 17 Federico Zani (53), 18 Ivan Nemer (17), 19 Niccolò Cannone (30), 20 Lorenzo Cannone (1), 21 Callum Braley (14), 22 Leonardo Marin (1), 23 Tommaso Benvenuti (118).

Hopefully Bhatti and McCallum can get back to their best form. I didn't see the game last week but on the highlights it looked like Ulster won it in the tight so the giant Saffers will be a challenge. 

The Edinburgh squad looks strong. If Toolis and Gilchrist stay fit and in form they should probably be favourites for the Scotaly pool. 

4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Hopefully Bhatti and McCallum can get back to their best form. I didn't see the game last week but on the highlights it looked like Ulster won it in the tight so the giant Saffers will be a challenge. 

The Edinburgh squad looks strong. If Toolis and Gilchrist stay fit and in form they should probably be favourites for the Scotaly pool. 

To be honest, I can see why the highlights looked like that, but Ulster won it mostly off the back of Glasgow making big, unforced mistakes. Glasgow's lineout and scrum defence was actually pretty decent, it's just Ulster had a lot of lineouts and scrums, and the discipline was bad again. The game was there for Glasgow but the error count and the softness of the tries given up killed them.

In the stats im sure Glasgow had something like 60% possession, and something like half of the tackles of Ulster, they were by far the better team, just undone by some costly mistakes.

Anyone know what has happened to the Argentinian lad at stand off? I thought he would be ahead of Peter Horne in the pecking order?

3 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Is he not down in Oz with the Argentinians for the rugby championship?

13 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Anyone know what has happened to the Argentinian lad at stand off? I thought he would be ahead of Peter Horne in the pecking order?

You're both thinking of Domingo Miotti.  Yes he is.  Our prop Enrique Pieretto is in the Pumas squad too.

Our other new signing in the Pumas squad is Sebastian Cancelliere.  He's one of the group that's been suspended from the final game tomorrow morning for breaching quarantine rules and going for a day out in Brisbane...