Rugby Union

kiwififer

On 27/08/2021 at 19:14, GAD said:

I think this fixture list is rotten for Glasgow. One of the things they had in their favour was that they mostly didn't clash with football. I can see this affecting attendances.

I have seen fans of both Scottish sides unhappy about the lack of Friday games 

I think this fixture list is rotten for Glasgow. One of the things they had in their favour was that they mostly didn't clash with football. I can see this affecting attendances.

Bizarrely having checked there isn't really many Saints v Glasgow clashes. 

It's horrible for club rugby punters. There is a reason the pro game was a Friday night. Shocking but TV driving it I suspect. Kellock emailling yesterday to say they are unhappy and want to sort, presumably after the complaints and refunds. 

18 hours ago, ajwffc said:

yet another stupid extra trophy name 

240631632_4891716967523072_3012535072222

I like the idea of having a best-of trophy for the top team from Ireland, Wales and South Africa, but IMO it should be based only on results among those sides.

Creating an equivalent for Scottish and Italian sides is daft.

Worse than clashing with football is clashing with club rugby, IMO. I wonder if the more important sides like have got the Friday fixtures - I see all of Ulster's home games up to Christmas are on the Friday. 

Worse than clashing with football is clashing with club rugby, IMO. I wonder if the more important sides like have got the Friday fixtures - I see all of Ulster's home games up to Christmas are on the Friday. 
Al Kellock's statement from earlier. Crowds will be decimated IMO between the folk who are involved in club rugby on a Saturday and others who were going to the rugby on a Friday and football on a Saturday.Screenshot_20210829-194537_Chrome.jpg

14 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Al Kellock's statement from earlier. Crowds will be decimated IMO between the folk who are involved in club rugby on a Saturday and others who were going to the rugby on a Friday and football on a Saturday.Screenshot_20210829-194537_Chrome.jpg

These sorts of things are generally fan service, but given Al's background, I'm pretty sure he's as fucking raging as the rest of the support.

Last year, I tuned in to see how Dougie Fife and the New England Free Jacks would fair in Major League Rugby (YEEHAR Style)!

I really enjoyed it...  It's a curious blend of aging stars (Matt Giteau was a stand out), not quite top notch internationals (Dougie Fife who was also excellent), local talent and a shyt-load of south-sea islanders/polynesian americans.

The pitches are almost universally plastic, so it tends to be running based (but be warned, quality is sometimes lacking).

I think they've just had a 'NFL style draft' for next season (god knows how that works).

Anyway, they are broadcasting free to international viewers https://www.therugbynetwork.com/.

I'm really hoping the yanks make a go of this, they're all for speeding up the game and innovation (they introduced the automatic 7 pointer if try was under the posts) and have really sped up the clock for penalties etc.

Rugby needs a bit of a kick up the erse, and I think they just might be the country to do it.

I will be rooting for the Free Jacks Yippee-kai-yeah motherfukkas!

aDONis

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:

I'm assuming that the Warriors are running at a reduced capacity this season since the stands behind the posts at either end have been removed? Anyone seen anything about whether this is temporary or not?

I could be wrong but my understanding is that they've not been put up yet as there's still athletics taking place at Scotstoun.

On 29/08/2021 at 19:47, peasy23 said:

When you look on the ticket site there's not a lot of tickets available for the first three league games. Most of their seats are for season tickets though, are they not?

Pretty startling prices too - a handful of the worst seats at £27, behind the goals for £32, alongside the pitch for £37. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/58476455

With all the talk on the top players playing too much rugby, lets run another tournament in August for the top players.

I cant see this getting off the ground, except to give more NZ and Ozzie players a play day. Can you imagine the top clubs sides in Europe giving there best players a month off just before the season kicks off? who is going to go an watch games from teams that dont exist yet in August when most people in the UK are off on holiday?

2 hours ago, GAD said:

Wallabies playing pretty well in South Africa here

Although the Boks were the Home team the game was played in Queensland (Cbus Stadium, Gold Coast). All remaining Rugby Championship games this season will be played in Queensland.