Rugby Union

kiwififer

Hamish Watson, the best flanker in the Northern Hemisphere, and easily the top 3 on the planet, plays about 10 minutes in all 3 tests.  Gatland is a fucking moron.

12 hours ago, GordonS said:

Jones is a despicable p***k. Farrell is utterly boring. Gatland has shown us how tedious he is and how slow to learn.

Any of the three favourites get it an it'll be unwatchable.

I think Toony would be great for it but I'd rather he didn't. Our comrades in Irish and Welsh rugby have no respect for Scots and he'll get nothing but criticism and negativity all the way through. If he wins it'll be because of the Welsh and Irish boys; if he loses it'll be because they appointed a silly Jock. Even when he was managing a wee Scottish side to a Pro12 win in glorious style he never got the recognition from them that he deserved.

Lancaster's a good guy and a decent coach, but his deficiencies were there for all to see in his managerial stint with England.

Might as well give it to Wayne Pivac. 

A Townsend-coached Lions squad would absolutely obliterate Australia.

As much as I enjoyed the trip and the experience, I had to watch a Gatland coached Lions struggle to beat Oz in 2013. They were effectively one kick away from losing the series 2-0 to a team that one of the weakest Scotland teams in recent memory had rinsed home and away in the year before.

Jones is a despicable p***k. Farrell is utterly boring. Gatland has shown us how tedious he is and how slow to learn.
Any of the three favourites get it an it'll be unwatchable.
I think Toony would be great for it but I'd rather he didn't. Our comrades in Irish and Welsh rugby have no respect for Scots and he'll get nothing but criticism and negativity all the way through. If he wins it'll be because of the Welsh and Irish boys; if he loses it'll be because they appointed a silly Jock. Even when he was managing a wee Scottish side to a Pro12 win in glorious style he never got the recognition from them that he deserved.
Lancaster's a good guy and a decent coach, but his deficiencies were there for all to see in his managerial stint with England.
Might as well give it to Wayne Pivac. 
Oz are shite... Toony would waltz that test.
Scotland will comfortably beat Oz in November if all players available

Saw the chairman of the Wallabies was saying they were potentially looking at ways to get Tonga and Fiji as part of the tour.  I'd be definitely up for that; playing Super Rugby teams without their internationals doesn't really do anyone any favours (as we've just seen in this series) and it's been apparent for a long time that the Pacific nations don't get anywhere near as much exposure to top tests as they should.  Hopefully they will be able to pick their strongest XVs if it comes to fruition.  

Haven't seen the third test yet, but this attritional brand of rugby has been common in international games for some time now.  It's not so much about trying to win as much as it is about avoid defeat.  Professional rugby is heavily structured, all based around game plans and set-moves that coaches don't like you to deviate from.  It's why so many players are having the ability to play what's in front of them coached out of them.  

Guest Bob Mahelp
On 10/08/2021 at 01:53, ajwffc said:

How can a player that was never picked and was in better form than the person picked in their place let them self down.
https://www.ruck.co.uk/guardian-brutally-picks-five-lions-who-let-themself-down/3/

ruck. co.uk is the rugby equivalent of The Express....full of sensationalist garbage. 

I suspect it's run by somebody Welsh. 

17 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

ruck. co.uk is the rugby equivalent of The Express....full of sensationalist garbage. 

I suspect it's run by somebody Welsh. 

true but this was based of a Guardian by Robert Kitson (their  rugby union correspondent)

Only just caught up on the highlights of the last test as was away over the weekend. Im hoping someone that watched it live can clear up what happened with the quick tap at the end of the game.

Did the ref blow hte whistle and the player took it through the wrong mark (ie should then be a scrum) or had the ref stopped play therefore was called back to re-take as not given go ahead to take the penalty?

15 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Only just caught up on the highlights of the last test as was away over the weekend. Im hoping someone that watched it live can clear up what happened with the quick tap at the end of the game.

Did the ref blow hte whistle and the player took it through the wrong mark (ie should then be a scrum) or had the ref stopped play therefore was called back to re-take as not given go ahead to take the penalty?

The player took the quick tap from the wrong spot so ref called it back 

2 hours ago, honestly united said:

I always thought it was taking it from the wrong place and the knee tap, but Im wrong, Im sure I had been penalised for this before, or more likely the ref just didnt like me.

image.png.d0eee69e8fe3da8fca4c66ba1dc9bbed.png

It used to be a scrum if you took it from the wrong place, but that officially changed years ago. Unofficially, refs didn't really bother with it and went for a retake in most cases anyway.

You must have ended up with one of the lads who would bring their ruler to measure studs before the game, but didn't bother with stuff like high tackles and offside

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

It used to be a scrum if you took it from the wrong place, but that officially changed years ago. Unofficially, refs didn't really bother with it and went for a retake in most cases anyway.

You must have ended up with one of the lads who would bring their ruler to measure studs before the game, but didn't bother with stuff like high tackles and offside

Thats me showing my age then, I was sure I had been pinged for it on more than one occasion!

Yes I've had some terrible ref's., the worst was one who used to check all the shoulder pads etc to make sure they had the official IRB (as it was at the time) logo, if they didnt he made you take them off - and this was at 2nd and 3rd team level! And yes he did quite encourage "rucking" if you were lying on the wrong side rather than penalise you

Edit to add, it looks like it was changed at some point between 2013-16 so not that long ago, but before that at top level taking a quick tap from the wrong place was not penalised as was seen as speeding up the game

Edited by honestly united