Rugby Union

kiwififer

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
23 minutes ago, Detournement said:
My prediction for Gatland next week. 
Sutherland LCD Furlong Hill Beard Itoje Beirne Faletau Murray Biggar Adams Aki Henshaw Williams Hogg. 
If in doubt go massive. 

Sutherland was dreadful..won't get near team

He was decent last week. The scrum penalty when he was on was just them being overpowered 8 vs 8. 

Mako is a liability. 

I'm still baffled that the 3 onfield officials didn't contest the TMO's opinion that Murray landed on his back when the video they were watching clearly showed he didn't.

The TMO was appalling tbqh.

But that should not detract from the fact that the Lions were fucking awful today.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The TMO was appalling tbqh.

But that should not detract from the fact that the Lions were fucking awful today.

“That’s the best angle” on about 4 separate occasions after the first replay was the best shithousing outside of a real sporting occasion of all time.

Imagine that at the World Cup? Or playing an Irish side in Ireland…?

Guest Bob Mahelp
7 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Hogg and VDM weren't great today...but its not their game. However they seem to be copping a lot of flag as a result if a piss poor forward pack and half backs. For me Furlong was shite today but heh hes a media darling.

It looks like Hogg and Duhan will be the scapegoats for this defeat. The Welsh whining to play Adams and Williams will grow ever louder. 

As you said, being pawns in the Gatlandball game is not really their thing and it's hard to blame them (although many will) for finding it difficult. Their only involvement in the game was watching the ball in the air, and both must be pining to get back to Murrayfield and rugby that doesn't make your eyes bleed. 

The BIL forwards were generally pretty pish today, and given that any possession was kicked away by Murray or Biggar it's not hard to see why the Boks won easily. 

While I respect Gatland's record as a coach (in the northern hempisphere), I detest his rugby philosophy. You can tell why he's generally ridiculed in New Zealand. 

It looks like Hogg and Duhan will be the scapegoats for this defeat. The Welsh whining to play Adams and Williams will grow ever louder. 
As you said, being pawns in the Gatlandball game is not really their thing and it's hard to blame them (although many will) for finding it difficult. Their only involvement in the game was watching the ball in the air, and both must be pining to get back to Murrayfield and rugby that doesn't make your eyes bleed. 
The BIL forwards were generally pretty pish today, and given that any possession was kicked away by Murray or Biggar it's not hard to see why the Boks won easily. 
While I respect Gatland's record as a coach (in the northern hempisphere), I detest his rugby philosophy. You can tell why he's generally ridiculed in New Zealand. 

Absolutely. Would be great if Scotland beat the boks in November playing running rugby..

The game actaully started well, with more rugby played in the first 10 minutes than the entire game the week before. However it descended into an atrocious spectacle. Gatland's tactics failed miserably and the blame should lie squarely with him. The most noticeable difference from last week was box kicking, with Price nearly ever kick was contestable, with Murray it was bread and butter stuff for the boks. The forwards were outmusecled up front, the backs didnt get the ball to do anything, and we seemed to run out of idea's very quickly.

On the Murray incident it looks entirely accidental to me, Kolbe has his eyes on the ball the entire time so yellow probably fair - although why he wasnt yellow carded for the earlier incident with Curry is more worthy of being looked at.

I had hoped we would have won so that we would have got a 3rd test where we actually attempt to play some rugby and Russell would get a run out, but its going to be more of the same eye bleeding bad rugby next week.

As has been said above I now hope we lose next week, and then Scotland hammer the boks in November playing our normal free flowing rugby

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

On the Murray incident it looks entirely accidental to me, Kolbe has his eyes on the ball the entire time so yellow probably fair - although why he wasnt yellow carded for the earlier incident with Curry is more worthy of being looked at.

When running for a high ball if you don't jump for it then it's your responsibility to watch out for opponents in the air. I've seen folk saying he kept his eye on the ball and didn't see Murray, but that's exactly the problem - he's required to look. The type of accident that sees a player fall from height onto his head is something that they're trying to drive out of the game.

Same goes for the incident with Curry that you mention - you have a responsibility for the safety of the players that you tackle, so you can't just smash front-to-front because that will always lead to heads clashing.

IMO the tackle on Curry was a firm yellow (which Nigel said too), the take-out of Murray in the air was probable red/ lucky yellow (same as Mish's should have been last week). 

Kolbe should have had at least two yellows, so he ought to be sitting out next week.

And another failure in those incidents - Curry and Kolbe should have had HIAs. 

Referees make mistakes, but because of Erasmus' tinfoil-hat 9/11-truther style bullshit there's the lingering suspicion that O'Keefe was influenced by pressure. That's one of the reasons WR need to severely punish Erasmus.

When running for a high ball if you don't jump for it then it's your responsibility to watch out for opponents in the air. I've seen folk saying he kept his eye on the ball and didn't see Murray, but that's exactly the problem - he's required to look. The type of accident that sees a player fall from height onto his head is something that they're trying to drive out of the game.
Same goes for the incident with Curry that you mention - you have a responsibility for the safety of the players that you tackle, so you can't just smash front-to-front because that will always lead to heads clashing.
IMO the tackle on Curry was a firm yellow (which Nigel said too), the take-out of Murray in the air was probable red/ lucky yellow (same as Mish's should have been last week). 
Kolbe should have had at least two yellows, so he ought to be sitting out next week.
Referees make mistakes, but because of Erasmus' tinfoil-hat 9/11-truther style bullshit there's the lingering suspicion that O'Keefe was influenced by pressure. That's one of the reasons WR need to severely punish Erasmus.
Jumping into a tackle was outlawed as it's dangerous for both you and the tackler, maybe it's time they outlawed jumping for a high ball as well, as it then takes the risk out of it?

11 minutes ago, honestly united said:
1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Jumping into a tackle was outlawed as it's dangerous for both you and the tackler, maybe it's time they outlawed jumping for a high ball as well, as it then takes the risk out of it?

It would be sad to see that taken out of the game, but it'll probably happen if there's a serious injury.

Does my memory betray me or was lifting in the line-out not previously banned? 

It would be sad to see that taken out of the game, but it'll probably happen if there's a serious injury.
In 1999 the IRB introduced law 19 which legalised lifting jumpers in the line-out, by that point most teams I think were attempting to covertly give their jumpers a boost anyway.

I'm open to correction because I'm only going on hear-say but before the rules changed it was apparently taken as read that the All-Blacks were lifting their jumpers at every line-out and other teams followed on from that.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Yes the rule of lifting in the lineout came in after I start playing, not long after the change to 5 points for a try.

I can see a few cynical teams (ie the Irish) start to jump into people to try and get cards dished out, the onus should be on both players, not just the jumper to make sure they are safe - if Murray hasn't looked before jumping he should be ust as guilty as Kolbe not looking.

If the Lions dump the Scots lads next week due to the failures of warrenball then I'm 100% behind the boks.
I just can't support the Lions when there is no scottish representation but fully behind them when there is. Just the way I am... Incidentally I can't support any GB teams in Olympics either.