Rugby Union

kiwififer

This in interesting and just shows how Scotland fell off the cliff in the 2000’s.

A team was chosen in 86 and played a rest of world match with Colin Deans as the lions captain and 5 Scots starting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Lions_v_The_Rest

I think Deans and Rutherford should have been starting hooker and 10 in 83 but they stuck with an out of from tour captain (Ciaran Fitzgerald) and an inferior player but reliable kicker in Olly Campbell. I remember watching the 3rd test when Rutherford (at 12) and Baird scored (he somehow never scored a try for Scotland)

Not sure how Iain Milne was never a starter as he was the best tighthead we ever had.  Similarly Euan Murray - should have started having had “The Beast” on toast the previous year but was inexplicably chucked into the dirt tracker team and was had a tour ending injury playing for them as I recall.

We’ve never had a middle jumping no 5 lock (in old parlance) - Doddie Weir probably would have but for injury or a right wing starter according to this.

Apparently Andy Irvine is the most capped back in the modern era.

I see the seething, pompous, rage of Irish rugby journalists over the lions picks has reached the inevitable conclusion of one of them being sacked for racism.

Neil Francis, same guy said Ali Price is the worst scrum half pick in lions history.

13 hours ago, GAD said:

I see the seething, pompous, rage of Irish rugby journalists over the lions picks has reached the inevitable conclusion of one of them being sacked for racism.

He seems a thoughtful sort. 

12 hours ago, Northsea80 said:

Neil Francis, same guy said Ali Price is the worst scrum half pick in lions history.

52 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

He seems a thoughtful sort. 

If you get the chance there is a BBC Scotland podcast at the time the squad was announced and Peter Wright absolutely annihilates the guy. Basically says he was a shit player and is bitter because we always pumped them then and everyone things he's an arsehole anyway.

43 minutes ago, GAD said:

If you get the chance there is a BBC Scotland podcast at the time the squad was announced and Peter Wright absolutely annihilates the guy. Basically says he was a shit player and is bitter because we always pumped them then and everyone things he's an arsehole anyway.

I remember Peter Wright playing for Scotland, but I have zero recollection of Neil Francis playing for Ireland. He sounds more like an English flanker.  I’ll need to look him up. 

Edited by Savage Henry

45 minutes ago, GAD said:

Sadly not available to listen to on BBC for some reason 

7 minutes ago, GAD said:

Wyn Jones is injured apparently so Sutherland starts. 4 Scots starting the test. Must be more than in the last 9 tests combined?

15 I think. Tom Smith was the last to start in 2001 I’m sure. Shame for Wyn Jones but delighted for Sutherland after his journey over the past 5 years.

15 minutes ago, SteveThePirate said:

15 I think. Tom Smith was the last to start in 2001 I’m sure. Shame for Wyn Jones but delighted for Sutherland after his journey over the past 5 years.

The one thing I'm thinking though, does this not mean Sutherland is scrumming against SAs weaker scrimmaging prop and Mako is coming on against the big guy?

5 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Not switched it on yet.  Tell me there’s a taff pundit greeting into his mic.

Irish. Every fucking word O'Gara says reeks of his desperation to have someone f**k up so everyone forgets his mistake in 2009

2 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Yes,
Re Neil Francis...man is a dinosaur, made homophobic comments few years back too.
Good riddance to a horrible man

What did he say this time?

And why are newspapers still giving him a platform?