Rugby Union

kiwififer

Harris the only Scot starting against South Africa A on Wednesday, with Fagerson on the bench. Unlike previous tours, this is the last midweek game, there aren't any in the week before the first test or between the first and second as has been the case on some previous tours.

Based on this team its looking very likely that Hogg, H Watson, Sutherland and VDM will start first test with price on bench.

2 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
4 hours ago, peasy23 said:
Harris the only Scot starting against South Africa A on Wednesday, with Fagerson on the bench. Unlike previous tours, this is the last midweek game, there aren't any in the week before the first test or between the first and second as has been the case on some previous tours.

Based on this team its looking very likely that Hogg, H Watson, Sutherland and VDM will start first test with price on bench.

Ian McGeechan, writing in the Telegraph sees Harris, Sutherland and Watson as the likely Scots in the first test, with Russell and VDM possibles. Thinks Williams is nailed on for full back.

Edited by printer

3 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

A strong looking A team from the Boks.20210712_154236.jpg

That’s not far off their strongest side given the players they’ve got isolating. Real opportunity for Harris to show his quality and stake a claim for a test jersey. 

That’s not far off their strongest side given the players they’ve got isolating. Real opportunity for Harris to show his quality and stake a claim for a test jersey. 
Yep, you can see plenty of this team playing in the tests, think it shows that they want to get these guys some game time with their preparations so far being so badly disrupted.

4 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
6 hours ago, peasy23 said:

I'd say Watson and Sutherland are all but guaranteed a start.  I'd be extremely disappointed, but not remotely surprised, if that's it.  Harris absolutely could play himself in here, though, to the bench at any rate.

Ian McGeechan, writing in the Telegraph sees Harris, Sutherland and Watson as the likely Scots in the first test, with Russell and VDM possibles. Thinks Williams is nailed on for full back.
Hogg will start unless injured or covid. Williams wasn't great other day, dropped a high ball and far too slow in defence.
Russell in injury trouble

I would think Hogg is in the definite starter category, Im still not convinced Watson is, as I can see Gatland going with Beirne at blind side and either Curry or Navidi at open side. Sutherland is in the probable starter range, as is VDM but with Adams, Watson and probably Williams as competition for starting and bench its going to be tough. Harris is in with a shout, as has put in some decent performances but and not seen much of the other centres as of yet. Fagerson I think is at best going to get a spot on the bench. Price might have a better chance as it sounds as if AWJ may be flying out to join up with the squad. If he does return and get into the 15 then that means Gatland can  drop Murray. 

Russell I would have nailed on as on the bench atr a minimum, but the injury might rule him out

8 hours ago, GAD said:

This Oz v France game is mental in all the best ways.

The Aussie feed was interesting to watch. Don't know if it was just because they were losing the break down but there were a lot of complaints about France using hands as the first man in.

The scrum penalty at the end was superb. They completely destroyed Australia.

13 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

The Aussie feed was interesting to watch. Don't know if it was just because they were losing the break down but there were a lot of complaints about France using hands as the first man in.

The scrum penalty at the end was superb. They completely destroyed Australia.

Standard Aussie commentators if you are beating them you must be cheating 

Club rugby isn't far away from returning - Super Six starts in two weeks and the Premiership and other leagues will start as normal in August for those interested.

We play Stirling in a friendly on Saturday, going to be in some world of pain come Sunday morning.  

18 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I only saw 8 minutes of highlights and that was enough to see that both sides were getting away with hands in the ruck. By far the worst in those highlights was Michael Hooper, who came right over the top to put a big paw on the ball, clearly delayed the recycle and all he got was "hands away now yellow."

The lack of strict enforcement of stuff that matters at the ruck really pisses me off, it slows down the entire game and it advantages dullard teams over quick, attacking sides.