Rugby Union

kiwififer

Released fijians Nakarawa, Dolokoto and Sau all in the Fijian squad to play NZ - didnt see Mata in the squad though.

Makes the whole move falling through at Ulster seem more like they didnt like what they saw at Glasgow the last few months rather than any serious injury concern

https://www.glasgowwarriors.org/news/united-rugby-championship-launched-ahead-of-2021/22?fbclid=IwAR3qPDr_Lj75m4y5bWIjG-oGm1VoZaOkvwIUrNJkGuUbZ9dEcE0ES71Rxt0

More re-branding and corporate waffle and bullshit.

If you cant be bothered with the brain numbing hyperbole the jist of it is that the Pro16 is now the United Rugby Championship, its split into 4 pools of 4 teams. You play everyone in your pool home and away, then each other team either home or away, so 6 pool matches and 12 interpool. There will be one total league table with top 8 ranked teams into quarter finals for the title (1st plays 8th, 2nd vs 7th etc)

However for European qualification the top team in each pool qualifies first, then the next 4 top teams in the combined table get the last 4. SA teams to play in Europe from 22/23 (still to be ratified)

Glasgow / Embra in pool with the 2 Italian teams - so one should top the pool each year.

The details of the new "United Rugby Championship"(pro 16) have been released. I actually think it looks pretty good. Play everyone once, top 8 into the playoffs. Euro qualification based partly on country and partly on league position (Scotland and Italy in the same "country pool").

Best part is it looks like it will not conflict with international windows.

3 hours ago, ajwffc said:

David Cherry is replaced by new Edinburgh hooker Adam McBurney in the Scotland squad 

Rory Hutchinson in as well which is great news. 

I like the look of this new format. I'm not sure if fewer games will be a good thing for Scottish rugby though. Getting players minutes is already a big problem so either the Super 6 or A fixtures will have to take up some slack. 

3 hours ago, ajwffc said:

David Cherry is replaced by new Edinburgh hooker Adam McBurney in the Scotland squad 

McBurney sounds like he should be £20 million worth of dreadful.  

Not getting why Hutchinson was left out in the first place.

9 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I like the look of this new format. I'm not sure if fewer games will be a good thing for Scottish rugby though. Getting players minutes is already a big problem so either the Super 6 or A fixtures will have to take up some slack. 

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Makes the competition less of a farce, but it does leave a lot less chance for players to break through. I'm guessing there will be a lot more loans to "strategic partners" and to the premiership and both teams will run with smaller squads.

11 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Makes the competition less of a farce, but it does leave a lot less chance for players to break through. I'm guessing there will be a lot more loans to "strategic partners" and to the premiership and both teams will run with smaller squads.

If they go with smaller squads then they need to go down the Irish route of severely limiting non Scottish qualified players. 

Edinburgh have (if/when Crosbie is capped this summer) 5 Scottish international backrows, 2 Fijian international backrows and the highest rated Scottish prospect in Boyle. Any of them could be sitting in the stand watching for months at a time. 

36 minutes ago, Detournement said:

10 hours ago, ajwffc said:

Matt Fagerson has pulled out the Scotland squad due to injury to be replaced by Rory Hutchinson

If only 

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

If they go with smaller squads then they need to go down the Irish route of severely limiting non Scottish qualified players. 

Edinburgh have (if/when Crosbie is capped this summer) 5 Scottish international backrows, 2 Fijian international backrows and the highest rated Scottish prospect in Boyle. Any of them could be sitting in the stand watching for months at a time. 

Yeah, and some of these guys were already struggling for gametime in the current setup.

To be fair, if this works as it's supposed to, they won't need the non Scots nearly as much as they shouldn't have to put out a team during the internationals.

This format has to be good for the Scottish clubs. While the rest of the league have 3 more games against their compatriots the Scottish clubs have their extra games against each other and the Italians. They're no mugs but equally, they're no Lions, Leinster or Ospreys.

We struggle more in the international windows than the Irish and Welsh because only two clubs are getting raided instead of four. That has to help us too.

Carrying a smaller squad means a reduced wage bill and potentially more focussed coaching, and also possibly more strength in the Super 6. It'll be less chance of playing for the pro teams in the international windows, but maybe more game time at a good standard in the Super 6.

Hopefully this also means access to South African TV money. I don't know how much a draw Cheetahs and Kings were, but it won't be nearly as much as the four we have now.

Overall the format has integrity, but it makes Glasgow's prices even more questionable. Apart from a handful of shit seats at £203, the cheapest is £258. £29 a game is a lot to sit in a temporary stand behind the goals when you've paid up-front for the season. 

I don't know about the focused training. 

The Scotland guys will still be away for the same length of time so you will have more minutes for the clubs played by the players who are coached by Glasgow/Edinburgh the least. 

I think that was Rennie's big problem with the Glasgow job. 

what happens when someone that has no clue about the sport tries to steal an article 

E3_1PuNUYAELszS?format=jpg%26name=medium&key=2189082d7ce9e8bf68d6c4a3cdf29730f0e27615cd20a20604fd9746bdfed88b
131478759_4486072954771006_6421841041849684033_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1%26ccb=1-3%26_nc_sid=8bfeb9%26_nc_ohc=UdqiMDyTROEAX9mJkMQ%26_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.xx%26oh=14281f6197d000a9bb3bd70b286e8c59%26oe=60CFC04F&key=ca3784033d27a6870f20c629cf64d5d8b05e28659504bdd7c9f769ad9a76e968
Seems to be cheap websites that use an automatic programme to re-word articles from other sites. There are some crackers on twitter in reply to the tweet I saw with the Young's story. I'm sure the player's partners will be delighted to hear about the shortage of prostitutes at the Lion's camp.20210616_151624.jpg