Rugby Union

kiwififer

Ali Price is pretty underrated outside Scotland isn't he? He seems to be the focus of much of the seethe online but I think he's proven himself one of, if not the best scrum halves in the UK. It's funny, a lot of focus on those two charged down kicks in the Calcutta cup, which didn't even come to anything, yet the same people are bemoaning Johnny Sextons absence without any reference to any of his horror shows over the last couple of years.

2 minutes ago, parsgooner said:

It'll be Watson on one wing and Williams on the other probably. Personally would prefer DVdM but we'll wait and see

I think Duhan VdM will start on the bench.  Williams is a class act that can easily play wing or fullback and will start IMHO. 

He is absolutely immense under the high ball (whisper it, significantly better than Hogg).  He's quick and elusive (but not as quick or elusive as Hogg).  

Josh Adams may well be unlucky, he's a quality player, but you have to think he's down the pecking order at both wing and fullback..

Dubliners will be jumping in their pleasure boats and blocking British ports to protest James Ryan not being included. Tbh I'd have him and Gray ahead of Lawes and Hill. Possibly Gatland has picked weaker locks to protect AWJ?

Elliot Daly must be giving BJs or hard cash to coaches because he is absolutely garbage yet is always around. 

37 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Full squad. Out of those wings Duhan looks a stick on test starter for me. FB_IMG_1620303347475.jpg

Having seen it on positions it looks incredibly unbalanced. Front row is ok, then 6 2nd rows and 6 back row - 3 opensides and 3 8's meaning that Beirne, Lawes or Itoje will be back row

Daly down as inside centre with Henshaw although obviously Farrell is in the mix there.

I was wondering if they picked Daly for goal kicking if they are thinking of starting with Russell?

9 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Dubliners will be jumping in their pleasure boats and blocking British ports to protest James Ryan not being included. Tbh I'd have him and Gray ahead of Lawes and Hill. Possibly Gatland has picked weaker locks to protect AWJ?

Elliot Daly must be giving BJs or hard cash to coaches because he is absolutely garbage yet is always around. 

I feel like this has happened before, where he's picked a 25, then a bunch of dirt trackers that won't cause them too many selection controversies.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Ali Price is pretty underrated outside Scotland isn't he? He seems to be the focus of much of the seethe online but I think he's proven himself one of, if not the best scrum halves in the UK. It's funny, a lot of focus on those two charged down kicks in the Calcutta cup, which didn't even come to anything, yet the same people are bemoaning Johnny Sextons absence without any reference to any of his horror shows over the last couple of years.

He had a fairly beige 6 Nations and made some incredibly dumb decisions, but there’s far more to be confused about than him.   If you were going for one Scot to mouth off at, on face value, Chris Harris seems to be more highly rated than his performances merit.  “Defensively excellent centre” is a nebulous concept. 

12 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

He had a fairly beige 6 Nations and made some incredibly dumb decisions, but there’s far more to be confused about than him.   If you were going for one Scot to mouth off at, on face value, Chris Harris seems to be more highly rated than his performances merit.  “Defensively excellent centre” is a nebulous concept. 

The swingometer on Harris has gone all the way from "a bit underrated" to "a bit overrated" in the last few months. He still has decidedly iffy games, even on the defensive side (Wales) and doesn't do very much ball in hand (funnily enough except Wales) 

I think Harris is just there to understudy Henshaw. The Test team is probably already half picked and there are guys who will just be making up the numbers while others who would be challenging for jerseys are at home. 

Townsend does this. Leaves guys out the squad all together but after an injury they are straight into the starting line up.

5 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I think Harris is just there to understudy Henshaw. The Test team is probably already half picked and there are guys who will just be making up the numbers while others who would be challenging for jerseys are at home. 

Townsend does this. Leaves guys out the squad all together but after an injury they are straight into the starting line up.

And if you are a South African born number 8, that could mean years between caps. 

Edited by Savage Henry

What are peoples thoughts on a 23 test team from the 37 named today

I would go 1. Sutherland, 2. George, 3. Furlong, 4. Henderson, 5. Wyn Jones, 6. Beirne, 7. Watson, 8. Simmonds, 9. Murray, 10. Russell, 11. Watson, 12. Henshaw, 13. Harris, 14. Williams, 15. Hogg. 16. Owens, 17. Jones, 18. Fagerson, 19. Itoje, 20. Curry, 21. Price, 22. Farrell (if he picks up form), 23. Daly

I would imagine the 9 and 10 combo will depend on who starts at fly half - if Russell then Price and if Biggar then Murray

The 3 Scottish players unlucky to lose out are Gray, Ritchie and Maitland

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Harris fully deserves to go - I watch him in the Premiership and he good at attacking too - very good player

23 minutes ago, nessies long lost ghost said:

What are peoples thoughts on a 23 test team from the 37 named today

I would go 1. Sutherland, 2. George, 3. Furlong, 4. Henderson, 5. Wyn Jones, 6. Beirne, 7. Watson, 8. Simmonds, 9. Murray, 10. Russell, 11. Watson, 12. Henshaw, 13. Harris, 14. Williams, 15. Hogg. 16. Owens, 17. Jones, 18. Fagerson, 19. Itoje, 20. Curry, 21. Price, 22. Farrell (if he picks up form), 23. Daly

I would imagine the 9 and 10 combo will depend on who starts at fly half - if Russell then Price and if Biggar then Murray

The 3 Scottish players unlucky to lose out are Gray, Ritchie and Maitland

Sutherland, Cowan-Dickie, Furlong, Itoje, AWJ, Curry, Watson, Faletau, Murray, Russell, Williams, Farrell, Henshaw, LRZ, Hogg - George, Jones, Zander, Beirne, Henderson, Tipuric, Price, Watson.

1 hour ago, nessies long lost ghost said:

Harris fully deserves to go - I watch him in the Premiership and he good at attacking too - very good player

I’m sure he is.  I just haven’t really seen it for Scotland.  It does, however, explain Hutcheson’s complete omission. 

3 hours ago, honestly united said:

I was wondering if they picked Daly for goal kicking if they are thinking of starting with Russell?

I think Daly is more likely to be a utility sub. Cover for Full back, wing, centre and can kick.

I wonder if there could be plans for a 6-2 split on the bench.