Rugby Union

kiwififer

As much as I'm no fan of the SRU, I wouldn't trust a word that comes out of Williams' mouth.

Saw a reply on Twitter (which I can't be arsed searching out) saying he has made the same cracks about other teams he has coached.

How does he know he could lift more weights than the players if there weren't any weights?

2 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
2 hours ago, ajwffc said:

I listened to that, an absolute joke and great hes bringing it up. Scotland lost years on the other teams when NH rugby went professional. Absolute amateur hour by the SRU and its literally taken us decades to catch up internationally and nowhere near at club level.

What he says about the SRU may or may not be true, but plenty of people in the know and with no love for the SRU have piled out to slaughter him. One player has talked about the gym being fine. A journalist said Williams was asked when in Ireland what he was reading and named some book that made him sound clever. Two years later he was asked the same question in Scotland and named the same book.

He's by far the worst manager Scotland ever had and it looks like he's just bullshitting to salvage his reputation. Obviously the Irish media will entertain that as they love to look down on Scotland.

His first HOME game was against England. His first game was against Wales the week before, so if the forwards didn't know who they were defending at the lineout against England, surely questions should be raised as to what changes were made between those two games that caused the forwards to be so confused.

On that point, the pack for that game against England (assuming that's the one he actually means, but who knows?) was Tom Smith, Gordon Bulloch, Bruce Douglas, Scott Murray, Stuart Grimes, Jason White , Cameron Mather and Simon Taylor. The guy who coached the forwards in their most recent matches (RWC 2003) before that was some bloke called Telfer. I'm sure that lot didn't have a clue about defensive lineout play before Matt fucking Williams and Willie "It's a match plan, not a game plan" Anderson showed up. Or maybe it was down to the infamous 24-point defensive plan that Steve Anderson, the defence coach, tried to implement.

And there had been a gym at Murrayfield since the late 90s, when Ken McEwan, the S&C guy, first started using Olympic weightlifting in the S&C programmes. But I'm sure Matt was benching more than the backs. In a gym that had no plates. That he had to set up himself.

Matt Williams is also the guy that claimed he was hounded out because of racism, which intensified after Berti Vogts was binned as the football coach. Nothing to do with him being a complete bullshitter who won 3 games out of 17, and who the players absolutely detested.

15 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

As much as I'm no fan of the SRU, I wouldn't trust a word that comes out of Williams' mouth.

While he’s exaggerating a point, Budge Poutney retired from international rugby after being docked the price of an SRU tie after giving to a young fan in lieu of an autograph. 

4 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

While he’s exaggerating a point, Budge Poutney retired from international rugby after being docked the price of an SRU tie after giving to a young fan in lieu of an autograph. 

There's a difference between exaggerating a point and blatantly lying though.

He could simply have used the Pountney story instead of inventing something that never happened.

43 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I realise that they're playing one of the best sides in Europe, but Edinburgh are horrendously weak in defence. 

I think that's a bit harsh. They've only conceded two tries in an hour despite having to defend in their own 22 for long spells. They've won a few turnovers in desperate situations. I think they've clung on respectably enough to far superior opponents. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, GordonS said:

I think that's a bit harsh. They've only conceded two tries in an hour despite having to defend in their own 22 for long spells. They've won a few turnovers in desperate situations. I think they've clung on respectably enough to far superior opponents. 

Yeah, you're probably right. I made my earlier post at a time when Edinburgh were falling off tackles all over the place. 

Edinburgh definitely have a few world class players in Watson, Ritchie and VDM, but as a unit I don't think they belong at the top level of European rugby. That much is pretty obvious. 

11 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Yeah, you're probably right. I made my earlier post at a time when Edinburgh were falling off tackles all over the place. 

Edinburgh definitely have a few world class players in Watson, Ritchie and VDM, but as a unit I don't think they belong at the top level of European rugby. That much is pretty obvious. 

And just after I replied Edinburgh shipped three!

Edinburgh are so imbalanced, great in some areas and weak in others. Pyrgos & Kinghorn in the crucial tactical positions is Zebre-level stuff.

Weirdly it was more the attack than the defence that failed today. 

Edinburgh are soft as f**k. They have better players than Glasgow, but they've got no fight whatsoever, and with guys like Ritchie and Watson in the team that's surprising. People wanted Townsend replaced by Corkerhill, but all the Edinburgh players are much better for Scotland than they are for Edinburgh.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Mike Adamson and Neil Paterson making life hard for themselves in the Bordeaux-Bristol game.

He tired me out. At least Edinburgh's wasn't the worst Scottish performance today.