Rugby Union

kiwififer

9 minutes ago, come on shire said:

That is absolutely glorious. Magic finish from Duhan VDM. 

Damien Penaud should have booted the ball out the park but played on and lost a penalty instead so we have him to thank to an extent. However the work to find the win was excellent. 

Dulin wasn't it? Karma for his shitehawkery at the Russell red.

18 minutes ago, Snobot said:

I’ve been watching rugby since 1982. We had a combined 3 wins away to England and France until this year in that time, I’ll take this year to be honest 

I'm not quite as old as you, but I'm still old enough to remember the grainy clips of Jim Telfer's try in Paris being shown every two years.

I just need to see a win in SA, and a win against NZ anywhere.

21 minutes ago, Snobot said:

I’ve been watching rugby since 1982. We had a combined 3 wins away to England and France until this year in that time, I’ll take this year to be honest 

You don't have to go far back on this thread to find folk saying Scotland haven't made progress under Townsend.

Away wins in Wales, England and France inside 6 months, back-to-back 6 Nations wins against the best French team in a decade, first time we've won in London and Paris in the same season since 1926 and literally one tap-tackle (or non-shite referee) from winning the Six Nations, away win against Australia, a monstering of Australia at home, an oh-so-close against New Zealand and a winning record against England over 4 years. And all while playing really watchable rugby.

Do they not remember the previous 16 years?

We should be sucking every scrap of enjoyment from this time, because when this generation goes we might have another couple of decades in the wilderness.

32 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Very much a missed opportunity. 

The top four teams in the tournament can all say that. Incredibly fine margins and nobody was on the right side of all of them.

The look in Hogg's eye during the interview... I can't wait for next season.

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

You don't have to go far back on this thread to find folk saying Scotland haven't made progress under Townsend.

Away wins in Wales, England and France inside 6 months, back-to-back 6 Nations wins against the best French team in a decade, first time we've won in London and Paris in the same season since 1926 and literally one tap-tackle (or non-shite referee) from winning the Six Nations, away win against Australia, a monstering of Australia at home, an oh-so-close against New Zealand and a winning record against England over 4 years. And all while playing really watchable rugby.

Do they not remember the previous 16 years?

We should be sucking every scrap of enjoyment from this time, because when this generation goes we might have another couple of decades in the wilderness.

You forgot group stage world cup exits and losing loads of 6 nations games that tbh we should have been winning.

isolated results are OK.  We’ve never had consistent results.  Teams aren’t remembered for a winning record against England.  Titles and Grand Slams make memories.  This season was a huge missed opportunity with France the only real class side we had to beat.

56 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Van Der Merwe is a beast going forward with his size and power, but he's fairly weak defensively too often in 1 v 1 situations.

Yeah, he fell off that tackle for the try pretty badly. Maitland's a better defender, but my God, he's a monster on the hoof.

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

You forgot group stage world cup exits and losing loads of 6 nations games that tbh we should have been winning.

isolated results are OK.  We’ve never had consistent results.  Teams aren’t remembered for a winning record against England.  Titles and Grand Slams make memories.  This season was a huge missed opportunity with France the only real class side we had to beat.

Come on, these are not isolated results. We've clearly been getting more and more consistent. And see those games we've won? I bet their fans are complaining that those are games they should have won too.

I don't know how we all become so entitled, but apart from a window in the 1980s Scotland have never been a consistently good side.

17 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Dulin wasn't it? Karma for his shitehawkery at the Russell red.

I'm not quite as old as you, but I'm still old enough to remember the grainy clips of Jim Telfer's try in Paris being shown every two years.

I just need to see a win in SA, and a win against NZ anywhere.

Each win in Paris since Telfer has been totally mind-blowing in its own way - the Toonie Flip, the incredible attacking performance in 99 and now this. All we need to do now is get the Irish monkey off our back. I also remember how we kept them as our pet for around 10 years in the 80s and 90s

2 minutes ago, Snobot said:

Each win in Paris since Telfer has been totally mind-blowing in its own way - the Toonie Flip, the incredible attacking performance in 99 and now this. All we need to do now is get the Irish monkey off our back. I also remember how we kept them as our pet for around 10 years in the 80s and 90s

When was it Hastings put that penalty over from our own half in Paris near the end?  Game was pretty much done but that monster kick sealed it.

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Those two yellow cards in the last 10 minutes in Paris went a long way to evening up the score.

No they didn’t.  Didn’t help us with Liam Williams foul play.  You know the kind that Finn was red carded for today.  They’ve had all the luck/decisions possible.