Rugby Union

kiwififer

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Potential game changer for the Pacific Islands as World Rugby agree to fund 2 franchises to take part in Super Rugby.

https://www.world.rugby/news/625960/world-rugby-to-support-pacific-island-super-rugby-ambitions

i give a year or 2 and the will be skint as the money disappears into the unions pockets 

i give a year or 2 and the will be skint as the money disappears into the unions pockets 
The thing that jumped out for me was that World Rugby would also provide "administrative support". I'm taking that to mean that they will be putting people in place to account for every penny.

Some observations about defensive titan Chris Harris from watching back conceded tries this tournament.

• He's at fault (not singularly) for the first Wales try. He's in an unenviable position with Lang and Cummings coming across to fill a big gap (both of them end up in a position to take Biggar if we goes himself btw) but he has to either try to cut off Biggar's passing lines or line up Tompkins. He does neither, gets caught flat footed and gets an ineffectual tackle in on Tompkins who gets it outside him.
  • The second Welsh try he's far too hesitant and again doesn't trust his inside enough and it's far too easy for Sheedy to feed it past him
  • He's absolutely gassed by Halaholo for the 4th try. He initially does pretty well but his body position is poor by the time Beard (I think) has it and he goes from a strong to weak position as a result. Thought Faletau maybe got a cheeky block in but nothing there, Harris is just rocking back on his heels.
  • Out of position for the first Ireland try and (along with Hogg tbf) gets done in the air. Should arguably leave it to Hogg and react to any knock down as Earls is unlikely to take it cleanly. 

Now obviously he's going to be involved, given his role, in more defensive actions than most which skews the eye test somewhat but alongside his not all that impressive tackling stats and not being a big turnover threat or good in the air do we rate his defence too highly? He might be the best defensive centre in Scotland but does that difference justify leaving out more attacking players? Not saying one way or the other although my preference is for the latter, especially with SJ at 12

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

31 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Some observations about defensive titan Chris Harris from watching back conceded tries this tournament.

• He's at fault (not singularly) for the first Wales try. He's in an unenviable position with Lang and Cummings coming across to fill a big gap but he has to either try to cut off biggars passing lines or line up Tompkins. He does neither, gets caught flat footed and gets an ineffectual tackle in on Tompkins who gets it outside him.
  • The second Welsh try he's far too hesitant and again doesn't trust his inside enough and it's far too easy for Sheedy to feed it past him
  • He's absolutely gassed by Halaholo for the 4th try. He initially does pretty well but his body position is poor by the time Beard (I think) has it and he goes from a strong to weak position as a result. Thought Faletau maybe got a cheeky block in but nothing there.l, he's just rocking back on his heels.
  • Out of position for the first ireland try and (along with Hoggy tbf) gets done in the air. Should arguably leave it to Hoggy and react to any knock down as Earls is unlikely to take it cleanly. 

Now obviously he's going to be involved, given his role, in more defensive actions than most which skews the eye test somewhat but alongside his not all that impressive tackling stats and not being a big turnover threat or good in the air do we rate his defence too highly? He might be the best defensive centre in Scotland but does that difference justify leaving out more attacking players? Not saying one way or the other although my preference is for the latter, especially with SJ at 12

It gets right on my tits. Why don’t we let them worry about Jones?

There is a lot of debate about their relative merits but IMO we are back close to peak Jones of 16/17 - ish when he was one of the best attacking 13s on the planet, rather than the pale imitation whose form fell off a cliff when he came to Glasgow. There is no way he should be dropped. Nothing against Harris who is decent enough.

4 minutes ago, Snobot said:

It gets right on my tits. Why don’t we let them worry about Jones?

There is a lot of debate about their relative merits but IMO we are back close to peak Jones of 16/17 - ish when he was one of the best attacking 13s on the planet, rather than the pale imitation whose form fell off a cliff when he came to Glasgow. There is no way he should be dropped. Nothing against Harris who is decent enough.

Aye, nothing against Harris either and there's a time and place for him. I just question whether his defensive abilities are quite what the players and Townsend talk them up to be. 

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Wayne Barnes is the ref tomorrow night.

I think he's improved as a ref.  I used to find him overly picky, but he's letting the game go a bit more, and allows a bit of competition for the ball at the breakdown.

Yours, ALLEZ LES BLEUS! 

aDONis

Les bleus d'Ecosse obviously!

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Haouas is starting for France so it will be a lively reunion with him and Haining. 

Ryan Wilson is a good sub to bring on. 

Should have him on from the start.  Proper WUM and could easily induce a French heads gone/red card imo.

Rainbow Cup games announced (well 3 weeks worth) Glasgow vs Trevisio and Edinbugh v Zebre followed by 2 weeks of Glasgow v Edinburgh games while the SA teams play amongst each other. Round 4 from the 29th May sees the SA teams come over to Europe for games - I am assuming the fixtures aren't being announced as they still dont know if they can travel.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56534637

Edit to add its 6 games in total, with top 2 in the table facing each other in the final if Glasgow manage to win the 2 games v Edinburgh it depends on who they get in the 3 games after that you would think its only going to be one game vs a SA team, get 2 welsh teams and we could be in with a decent finish

Edited by honestly united