Rugby Union

kiwififer

Not great, but BP win is as much as you can do
Yep, ultimately it's job done but to go in 5 points down at half time after being 7 points and a man up after 30 minutes is making things a lot harder than they should be

It's especially frustrating given that we have been far better than this in games that we've lost. Last week would be a good example.

A BP win, when it looked like they might have shat it, and with multiple injuries during the game, as well as two yellow cards, I suppose you have to take it.

Second half of Portugal v Georgia about to start on https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7zp1i0

Portugal surprisingly 13-10 up, interesting clash of styles and a good watch so far. Portugal are terrified of scrums but pretty nippy in the lose. A Georgian lad got yellow carded for taking out his opponent in a kick-chase for the line, and Portugal got their try a few phases later.

These double as qualifiers for the World Cup, top 2 go through automatically and third place goes into a mad world-wide repechage thingy.

7 minutes ago, GAD said:

I've just read that Russell is likely to be our only fit/unsuspended stand off available for the Ireland game, and he's playing for Racing against Toulon tonight. f**k.

Jaco van der Walt should be fit as he was only out of the Edinburgh game due to some swelling around his Achilles tendon

4 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

Jaco van der Walt should be fit as he was only out of the Edinburgh game due to some swelling around his Achilles tendon

Well that's a bit of a relief I suppose! I thought we could be starting with Hogg at 10.

7 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Second half of Portugal v Georgia about to start on https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7zp1i0

Portugal surprisingly 13-10 up, interesting clash of styles and a good watch so far. Portugal are terrified of scrums but pretty nippy in the lose. A Georgian lad got yellow carded for taking out his opponent in a kick-chase for the line, and Portugal got their try a few phases later.

These double as qualifiers for the World Cup, top 2 go through automatically and third place goes into a mad world-wide repechage thingy.

Portugal's 7s teams have been pretty competitive for a while, so it's no real surprise that their backs will look sharp. They definitely need a couple of monsters though!

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

It's especially frustrating given that we have been far better than this in games that we've lost. Last week would be a good example.

A BP win, when it looked like they might have shat it, and with multiple injuries during the game, as well as two yellow cards, I suppose you have to take it.

I think with half the team being very inexperienced that was a great result. Also I haven't watched much of the Warriors this season but everytime I have Wilson and Harley have been superb. 

13 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Portugal's 7s teams have been pretty competitive for a while, so it's no real surprise that their backs will look sharp. They definitely need a couple of monsters though!

Couple of decent second rows but their front row is distinctly light, especially compared with Georgia.

7 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I think with half the team being very inexperienced that was a great result. Also I haven't watched much of the Warriors this season but everytime I have Wilson and Harley have been superb. 

Harley's one of those classic one-club players that's not quite good enough for international level but never lets his club down. Like John Muldoon at Connacht. Wilson could have made that Scotland 8 shirt his own but he's just not big enough for that position at the top level now, where number 8s are rapidly-moving wardrobes. 

6 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Wilson could have made that Scotland 8 shirt his own but he's just not big enough for that position at the top level now, where number 8s are rapidly-moving wardrobes. 

If we had Wilson rather than Graham on the bench versus Wales we would have won.

That's very much a Captain Hindsight opinion though. 

8 minutes ago, Detournement said:

If we had Wilson rather than Graham on the bench versus Wales we would have won.

I've never been a big fan of Wilson but didn't realise he was only 31 and could still make the WC. Given the drop off in quality and caps in the back row after our first choice 3 I'd have him as the 4th or 5th guy in the squad. Can play all 3 positions as well (maybe pushing it at 7)

17 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Wilson's been known to give away the odd penalty too but yeah, Graham had a nightmare.