Rugby Union

kiwififer

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 26

Benetton v Connacht – KO 17:30 UK / 18:30 ITA

Stadio Monigo, Treviso

Referee: Marius Mitrea (FIR, 98th competition game)

Assistant Referees: Federico Vedovelli, Filippo Russo (both FIR)

TMO: Stefano Pennè (FIR)

Live on TG4, Premier Sports 2, DAZN, Super Sport (SA), ESPN+ (USA), pro14.tv.

Cardiff Blues v Munster – KO 20:00

Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff

Referee: Adam Jones (WRU, 9th competition game)

Assistant Referees: Ben Whitehouse, Dan Jones (both WRU)

TMO: Sean Brickell (WRU)

Live on S4C, Premier Sports 2, TG4, eir Sport 1, Super Sport (SA), ESPN+ (USA), pro14.tv.

Ulster v Ospreys – KO 20:00

Kingspan Stadium, Belfast

Referee: Seán Gallagher (IRFU, 23rd competition game)

Assistant Referees: Eoghan Cross, Paul Haycock (both IRFU)

TMO: Brian MacNeice (IRFU)

Live on eir Sport 2, Premier Sports 1, Super Sport (SA), ESPN+ (USA), pro14.tv. Deferred: 21:35 S4C

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 27

Edinburgh v Scarlets – KO 12:00

BT Murrayfield, Edinburgh

Referee: Ben Blain (SRU, 9th competition game)

Assistant Referees: Sam Grove-White, Graeme Ormiston (both SRU)

TMO: Charles Samson (SRU)

Live on Premier Sports 1 eir Sport 1, Super Sport (SA), ESPN+ (USA), pro14.tv.

Zebre v Dragons – KO 17:15 UK / 18:15 ITA

Stadio Sergio Lanfranchi, Parma

Referee: Gianluca Gnecchi (FIR, 6th competition game)

Assistant Referees: Manuel Bottino, Matteo Liperini (both FIR)

TMO: Stefano Roscini (FIR)

Live on Premier Sports 1, eir Sport 1, DAZN, Super Sport (SA), ESPN+ (USA), pro14.tv.

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 28

Leinster v Glasgow Warriors – KO 17:30

RDS Arena, Dublin

Referee: Frank Murphy (IRFU, 41st competition game)

Assistant Referees: Chris Busby, Robert O'Sullivan (both IRFU)

TMO: Olly Hodges (IRFU)

Live on eir Sport 1, Premier Sports 1, Super Sport (SA), ESPN+ (USA), pro14.tv.

In other news I see Fagerson's punishment has been "upheld" but in reality has not as they have decided to include all the Glasgow games he wouldn't have played in anyway, so in reality it's a two match ban and he should be back for the Italy game.

5 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

So Scotland will be fucked over here, 28 0 victory should be awarded ala Lyon...or game played in autumn

I would rather lose in any manner - gubbed, heartbreaking or routine - than "win" this on a forfeit.

But if they pick any date on which Scotland are more hampered by player availability than France they can stick it up their bollocks.

8 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Still 30 months to go but match fixtures from WC are out

Planning on going to the Europe 2 game in Lille as closest to get too

WC Games.JPG

I'm hoping to get over for the game in Nice. I'm a big fan of Nice.

3 hours ago, honestly united said:

Still 30 months to go but match fixtures from WC are out

Planning on going to the Europe 2 game in Lille as closest to get too

WC Games.JPG

I've been to Lille before. I remember seeing a condom machine on an outside wall on the street. Motley Crue would love Lille. Hopefully a Scotland win though. We need to consider a win vs SA or Ireland too if we want to get out the pool. 

They need to do something re. these red cards it's completely spoiling the matches. Perhaps a red card offence results in a player being banned 5 matches and hefty fine; but another player is allowed to replace after 10mins.. Just throwing it out there, might be other options but early reds just ruin matches

31 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

They need to do something re. these red cards it's completely spoiling the matches. Perhaps a red card offence results in a player being banned 5 matches and hefty fine; but another player is allowed to replace after 10mins.. Just throwing it out there, might be other options but early reds just ruin matches

they are doing law experiments with red cards that a player gets 20min in the bin and must be replaced after that time 

I don't think an early red card spoils a game more than one of the teams being shite. If we want to stamp out play that is genuinely dangerous then the sanction needs to be something that makes coaches demand their players stop doing it.

And anyway, both of the 6 Nations games with red cards were excellent matches. 

12 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I know what you mean, but to be honest, it's up to the players to learn. Folk said the same thing about dump tackles, or hitting players in the air, and you basically never see either happen anymore. One of the things about a lot of these ruck red cards is that the hit was totally unnecessary. It wasn't required to win the ball back, or move a jackler, it was just done, usually to a player that was effectively out the game, for no reason other than it's what players have been taught to do.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

I don't think an early red card spoils a game more than one of the teams being shite. If we want to stamp out play that is genuinely dangerous then the sanction needs to be something that makes coaches demand their players stop doing it.

And anyway, both of the 6 Nations games with red cards were excellent matches. 

1 hour ago, GAD said:

I know what you mean, but to be honest, it's up to the players to learn. Folk said the same thing about dump tackles, or hitting players in the air, and you basically never see either happen anymore. One of the things about a lot of these ruck red cards is that the hit was totally unnecessary. It wasn't required to win the ball back, or move a jackler, it was just done, usually to a player that was effectively out the game, for no reason other than it's what players have been taught to do.

100% agreed, neither of the 6n games have been ruined by the red cards. Don't get me wrong there's plenty of international rugby refs perfectly capable of ruining a game, but you look at most of these ruck red cards and think "what the f**k are you doing?"

It's absolutely incumbent on players and coaches to move away from smashing shoulders into people's heads. The area where refs could improve is pinging jackling and holding offences before it gets to that stage.

France now have positive Covid tests in the men's 15, 7s and under 20s and the women's 7s squads. The sports minister is seething and has threatened to remove the dispensation that allows them to take part in the 6 nations of she doesn't get "the absolute truth of the matter".

https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/xv-de-france/2018-2019/xv-de-france-roxana-maracineanu-menace-de-retirer-la-derogation-pour-le-xv-de-france_sto8150300/story-amp.shtml?__twitter_impression=true

4 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

France now have positive Covid tests in the men's 15, 7s and under 20s and the women's 7s squads. The sports minister is seething and has threatened to remove the dispensation that allows them to take part in the 6 nations of she doesn't get "the absolute truth of the matter".

https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/xv-de-france/2018-2019/xv-de-france-roxana-maracineanu-menace-de-retirer-la-derogation-pour-le-xv-de-france_sto8150300/story-amp.shtml?__twitter_impression=true

I wonder if french twitter is full of folk calling her "le nippy sweetie" for this 

6 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

100% agreed, neither of the 6n games have been ruined by the red cards. Don't get me wrong there's plenty of international rugby refs perfectly capable of ruining a game, but you look at most of these ruck red cards and think "what the f**k are you doing?"

It's absolutely incumbent on players and coaches to move away from smashing shoulders into people's heads. The area where refs could improve is pinging jackling and holding offences before it gets to that stage.

The jackling thing is something refs need to get a grip over. French refs in particular seem to be terrible for just standing there with their thumb up their arse watching a jackler in perfect position take two or three torpedo shots to the back before reluctantly giving a penalty if none of them manage to knock the player off. Either they need to call it immediately, or ban it.

12 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Don't get me wrong there's plenty of international rugby refs perfectly capable of ruining a game

I think Carley is the worst official I've ever seen in any sport and I genuinely wonder if he has an unconscious bias against Scotland. The shit he lets our opponents away with at the defensive offside line and slowing down the ruck is heinous and different from how he deals with our players dong the same thing. The parallels between that Wales game and Ireland in the Autumn are uncanny.

The red card for Fagerson was a on the harsh side and you got the feeling he was itching to give it, but it wasn't even close to the stuff he did to ruin the game. If it had been any other ref giving Fagerson the red card for that I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

2 minutes ago, GAD said:

The jackling thing is something refs need to get a grip over. French refs in particular seem to be terrible for just standing there with their thumb up their arse watching a jackler in perfect position take two or three torpedo shots to the back before reluctantly giving a penalty if none of them manage to knock the player off. Either they need to call it immediately, or ban it.

So much this, and it stems from referees coaching the game rather than enforcing the laws. It has slowed the game right down, adding a second or two to every breakdown, meaning defences are higher and better set, and combined with their general disinterest in the offside line more than a few yards from the ruck it has made it harder to play through the hands and pushed teams to kick more.

The general approach to refereeing rugby right now is well-meaning, but it's harming the game.