Rugby Union

kiwififer

11 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I actually agree with that. Had the game today been a football match I’d be majorly pissed off for days. It’s irritating but as you say it’s only rugby.

I see your point but it's probably personal taste. After our miracle comeback at Twickers when George Ford grabbed a draw I was sickened for the rest of the weekend. However when Harry Kane popped up at the end at Hampden I was slightly annoyed but not too fussed tbh. 

It was probably a red tbf. Had it been the other way around we'd be screaming for a red. 

However Zander didn't lose us the game imo. It was a sheer lack of discipline especially near ht when we let Wales back in. 

Had we got the try that was ruled out due to Gary Graham's block then we'd have won the game. I'd rather have Jamie Ritchie over Blade Thomson but in turn I'd take Thomson over Graham who gave away penalties like an absolute machine. An even worse penalty machine than Grant Gilchrist. 

Overall as good as winning at Twickers was, 2 wins (assuming we beat Italy at home) will be a poor return so we need to find a win in Paris or when Ireland visit. If not it's been a mediocre 6N I need to say... 

Edited by come on shire

Guest Bob Mahelp
19 minutes ago, come on shire said:

It was probably a red tbf. Had it been the other way around we'd be screaming for a red. 

However Zander didn't lose us the game imo. It was a sheer lack of discipline especially near ht when we let Wales back in. 

Had we got the try that was ruled out due to Gary Graham's block then we'd have won the game. I'd rather have Jamie Ritchie over Blade Thomson but in turn I'd take Thomson over Graham who gave away penalties like an absolute machine. An even worse penalty machine than Grant Gilchrist. 

Overall as good as winning at Twickers was, 2 wins (assuming we beat Italy at home) will be a poor return so we need to find a win in Paris or when Ireland visit. If not it's been a mediocre 6N I need to say... 

That's why it was so vital for us to win yesterday. If we're ever to move on from the 'one good win a year' team that we've become, then we really should be beating a pretty average Welsh team at home. 

OK, we may not win in Paris, but a win yesterday would have been a huge statement and we could have been looking at (at least) 4 championship wins.....which in itself, would have been a massive springboard for the next 12 months. And so on.

As it stands now, we look like a side that no matter what, just can't shake the urge to press the self-destruct button. Defeat in Paris and then we've got an Irish side which in general has our number. There's a fair chance that we will end up with only 2 victories, which is completely unsatisfactory given what happened last week. 

It may also increase pressure on Townsend, and the accusation that we're paddling hard just to stand still would raise its head again. 

Let's hope that it doesn't come to that. 4 wins would be a success, 3 wins satisfactory if frustrating, and just 2 wins will justifiably be seen as a step back. 

12 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I actually agree with that. Had the game today been a football match I’d be majorly pissed off for days. It’s irritating but as you say it’s only rugby.

Naw...our football team in world terms is shite and has been all my lifetime...on the other hand the rugby team now has perhaps three or four guys who could claim to be the best in Europe in their position.  The Scottish football team will never win the Euros but this rugby team should have been in a position to have a real and credible shot at their Euros(6 Nations). That for me makes yesterday a real sickener. As the cliche goes its the hope etc....With the football team I never have any hope.

54 minutes ago, come on shire said:

Yes personal taste as you say. 

As you suggest Graham was a liability yesterday. Totally agree that indiscipline (often Graham) was already costing us even before the red card. I think one or two players thought the match was won when we were ahead but sadly it wasn't.

Re that match at Twickenham and the late draw when England were hammering at our line it was actually a pity they didn't score right in the corner, as they almost did IIRC, leaving a difficult conversion for the draw. 

2 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Naw...our football team in world terms is shite and has been all my lifetime...on the other hand the rugby team now has perhaps three or four guys who could claim to be the best in Europe in their position.  The Scottish football team will never win the Euros but this rugby team should have been in a position to have a real and credible shot at their Euros(6 Nations). That for me makes yesterday a real sickener. As the cliche goes its the hope etc....With the football team I never have any hope.

Some truth in that albeit we're talking about a 6 team competition where one of the teams is routinely shite. Take your point though.

It is good to see some Scots who can genuinely be described as world class rugby players though. Certainly agree with that point.

19 hours ago, GordonS said:

Where do you rank the Irish in this? For me they're top. At least there are working class rugby people in Wales, in Ireland they're a bunch of entitled p***ks.

In general the Irish are the worst, apart from Gatland, Biggar and Williams the welsh are generally OK, as are the English rugby fans - however as they are a bigger country they have a higher number of annoying w*nks. 

Being a Scotland rugby fan you always get some positivity that builds through January only to be completely wiped out by half time in the first game - this year its just taken until the 2nd half of the 2nd game before being wiped out.

I think everything has already been covered, crap ref, i remember him being dreadful the last time we had him in a Scotland game, but discipline cost us, with refs this bad you have to make sure you dont give them a chance to make these decisions.

We should have been looking forward to going to France as a grand slam decider, then on to Ireland as a crack at a triple crown, we are now staring at mid table at best*

* i appreaciate we still have a chance of the 6 Nations title if we go unbeaten, but others have already picked up a few bonus points

Edited by honestly united

I see your point but it's probably personal taste. After our miracle comeback at Twickers when George Ford grabbed a draw I was sickened for the rest of the weekend. However when Harry Kane popped up at the end at Hampden I was slightly annoyed but not too fussed tbh. 
The one that sickened me and actually still does is the Aus v Scot quarter final in 2015. I'd actually have fancied us to beat the Argies the following weekend and make the final, albeit we'd have been pumped.

37 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
1 hour ago, come on shire said:

The one that sickened me and actually still does is the Aus v Scot quarter final in 2015. I'd actually have fancied us to beat the Argies the following weekend and make the final, albeit we'd have been pumped.

Yep that was a really bad one. For all the controversy re the penalty Australia got all we had to do prior to that was secure lineout ball by throwing to the front and the game was done. 

8 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:
18 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:
Carley was fucking awful from start to finish, and made the game all about him. But he's not unique in that as an international rugby referee. 
Rugby refereeing is all about interpretation....much so than football. It's up to the teams involved to quickly adapt to the referee. 
Scotland simply didn't do that today, and Wales played him very well for the whole 80 minutes. 

The referee wasn't to blame for Scotland losing but I have to admit I don't understand a lot of aspects of rugby officiating - the virtual coaching of players through various breakdown scenarios and the looseness of the interpretation. As much as football officials piss us off at times, the laws are generally a lot tighter and the game is better for the consistency of the law.

The ref was definitely to blame. We had two clear penalties in the final play ignored. Liam Williams tackling Hogg without the ball and holding on on the ground when Harris was on his feet with his hands on the ball.

The ref also done us on the play where Graham pinched the ball from Cummings and Cummings was done for blocking. We should have been on pen advantage for offside but Cummings was tackled without the ball into Graham's path so again that's a penalty for us. 

It shouldn't have mattered though as Graham should never have caught the ball. All he had to do was latch onto Cummings and drive him over. 

Luke Pearce is going to shaft somebody here, you can feel it coming. It's now so tight he can decide who wins, and I'm pretty sure he will. Smart money would be on Ireland, but I actually think he could go either way, it's all about the headlines.

8 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The ref was definitely to blame. We had two clear penalties in the final play ignored. Liam Williams tackling Hogg without the ball and holding on on the ground when Harris was on his feet with his hands on the ball.

The ref also done us on the play where Graham pinched the ball from Cummings and Cummings was done for blocking. We should have been on pen advantage for offside but Cummings was tackled without the ball into Graham's path so again that's a penalty for us. 

It shouldn't have mattered though as Graham should never have caught the ball. All he had to do was latch onto Cummings and drive him over. 

Watching the highlights I thought maybe we'd made a bit much of the Harris pen at the end but just watching it again there's a clear 5 seconds before his knee drops so a definite pen. I was under the impression we had an advantage prior to the obstruction call as well

42 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I generally can't stand this sort of shite, but I will absolutely be claiming my 83 hours playing hide and seek with Niko Matawalu

149121459_4289733121054796_3548916954728

i don't fancy my 100 hours staring at Rhys Webb

Yep that was a really bad one. For all the controversy re the penalty Australia got all we had to do prior to that was secure lineout ball by throwing to the front and the game was done. 
Still think Hogg was taken late off the ball too about 30 seconds before line out. We could really have cleared it upfield