Rugby Union

kiwififer

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

I'm pretty disappointed that Sexton and Murray won't be getting trounced by France. Murray apparently tweaked a hamstring probably watching a video of Dupont.

It will be a sickener for a lot of Ireland supporters that they are starting guys would be lucky to be top ten options for England and New Zealand at 10 and 9.

Honestly, who would ever have thought someone like Billy Burns would be starting tests for Ireland? I honestly think I'd rather have Weir or Jaco.

6 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The increase in the size of players over the years if partly just down to the population in general getting taller but there also seems to be a drive to find the biggest physical specimens. You can coach technique, you can build muscle but you can't increase the dimensions of someones frame.

I argued earlier that at 6 foot 5 Maro Itoje is a bit short for second row (only Lazzaroni, was shorter last weekend)  but Itoje would tower over 20th century giants of the game like Colin Meads, Willie John McBride and Bill Beaumont.

You can also squeeze out an extra couple of inches if you jab teenagers full of HGH. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
On 11/02/2021 at 20:09, afca32 said:

Ever since Darcy Graham debuted for Edinburgh people have questioned his high ball and defensive ability. I presume this is solely down to his lack of height because he's almost never shown any weakness in either area. In fact he's generally excellent defensively, more solid than van der Merwe.

I hope you're right. My mind goes back to the first game of the world cup and the Autumn test in Dublin, where Ireland targeted Graham as a weak link. He was pretty poor in both games. 

Townsend trusts him though, so fingers crossed for tomorrow. 

looking the world rankings we did not climb any spaces (but england dropped 1). But any positive result (win or draw will put us up to 6th a defeat will have us swap placeswith wales in the rankings 

Saying this now because I've just remembered why he was left out (was thinking he was injured) but I wish Sam Skinner was available and playing 6 today. Thomson is clearly a very good player but can't think of anything impactful he's ever done for Scotland. And not in the Scott Fardy unseen work sense, just not making a difference at all tbh 

The increase in the size of players over the years if partly just down to the population in general getting taller but there also seems to be a drive to find the biggest physical specimens. You can coach technique, you can build muscle but you can't increase the dimensions of someones frame.

I argued earlier that at 6 foot 5 Maro Itoje is a bit short for second row (only Lazzaroni, was shorter last weekend)  but Itoje would tower over 20th century giants of the game like Colin Meads, Willie John McBride and Bill Beaumont.
I see your point re. Itoje..but main purpose of height in 2nd Row is line-outs. You could have a 6ft 8 lad with less of a reach than a 6ft 5 lad.
Itoje is just a beast and sometimes being too tall is a disadvantage in other parts of the game, just look at Toner (never carries, never poaches from ruck and rarely breaks the gainline) he just can't generate the power based on his frame...not to mention our very own medcalfe few years back...

9 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Fancy one of the England boys to get sent off trying to prove a point/impose their physicality, Farrell and Sinckler near the top of the list

Snickler is a walking yellow card at times , very easily wound up 

Italy are definitely better than the result last week suggested as well. They got smashed by arguably the best team in the world, but more down to their own mistakes than anything spectacular from France.

There is a Scotland-esque "Good potential, but far too many individual errors" about them at the moment.