Rugby Union

kiwififer

14 hours ago, Left Back said:

I’ve watched it back and still can’t figure out why Price was under such pressure with the box kicks early doors.  The setup looks fine, decent length in the ruck but Itoje picked off a couple.  Could just be one of those things but I’d hope Toony is figuring out why it happened.

It was noticeable how much more use of the caterpillar ruck Steele made when he came on, and though it's one of my pet hates it did work well.

In one of the early box kicks, not sure if it was one Itoje got a hand to or just missed, Z. Fagerson was at the edge of the ruck as a pillar/blocker and didn't really make any impact. Itoje didn't have to move or make any effort to get round him at all and had basically had a free run at Price. But kudos to Price for getting the problem sorted fairly swiftly after that anyway.

16 minutes ago, AngusTheBull said:

It was noticeable how much more use of the caterpillar ruck Steele made when he came on, and though it's one of my pet hates it did work well.

In one of the early box kicks, not sure if it was one Itoje got a hand to or just missed, Z. Fagerson was at the edge of the ruck as a pillar/blocker and didn't really make any impact. Itoje didn't have to move or make any effort to get round him at all and had basically had a free run at Price. But kudos to Price for getting the problem sorted fairly swiftly after that anyway.

Remember Turner getting a yellow for that in the 1872 Cup when he killed Grant Gilchrist

16 minutes ago, GAD said:

I always say I hate stuff like caterpillar rucks, box kicking, rolling mauls, and using scrums to eat up time and milk penalties, but I've come to realise I only hate it when teams are doing it to us.

The one thing England did do very well at the weekend was eat up the time they were down to 14.  Once scrum took about 5 minutes.  We weren't helping ourselves of course with Price putting his effort into trying to get a scrum penalty rather than get it in and out quickly to take advantage of the extra back.

29 minutes ago, GAD said:

I always say I hate stuff like caterpillar rucks, box kicking, rolling mauls, and using scrums to eat up time and milk penalties, but I've come to realise I only hate it when teams are doing it to us.

Exactly. When we were playing big sexy rugby and getting killed with it I hated it. Now we're playing big savvy rugby I love it. I hold out hope for the next evolution to big sexy savvy rugby

I suspect there are some very, very, very tired bodies.  

Rugby was punishing in my day!  Gawd knows how anyone recovers in time for training these days...  Professional rugby players are superhuman IMHO.

As an aside, what a lovely shiner AWJ had BEFORE KICK OFF! 😃  Courtesy of Jake Ball allegedly.

I would call that 'old school'

Yours, I only ever got punched once whilst playing (probably because I was too beta male to be worth the effort) 😜.

aDONis

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Decent read, but only free for a while. Bit I've screenshotted sums up what Scotland did so much better than previous encounters with England, the error count was almost zero.

https://www.thexv.rugby/2021/02/09/lost-for-words/Screenshot_20210209-161501_Chrome.jpg

Don't think I'll ever get over us being termed 'streetwise' rather than 'naïve and shite'

2 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Wales have loads of injuries, Wales only have 6 day turnaround, big trouble in Welsh camp, Wales are shite, Scotland are the dogs bollocks....

Anyone else got the fear emoji51.pngemoji51.pngemoji51.pngemoji33.png

The fear that we might not get the bonus point as well as the win?

10 hours ago, honestly united said:

George Taylor is banned for 3 games so wont be getting a game with Edinburgh - probably just coming in to hold the pads

He has 2 games of the ban left as the "A" game counted as game 1 the 2nd game is at the weekend. He got unlucky with his ban as he was given a 3 game ban with the banned games nammed (all Edinburgh games) whereas every other ban has been in weeks and they have not missed as many. 

Both SCottish side play this weekend. Also Hollie Davidson will take charge of her first professional men's game (was due to be involved in the postponed european games) and will be the 2nd female ref in the Pro 14 when she takes charge of the glasgow game 

Friday, February 12

• R7: Dragons v Edinburgh
  • Rodney Parade, Newport
  • Referee: Adam Jones (WRU, 9th competition game)
  • Assistant Referees: Nigel Owens & Dan Jones (both WRU)
  • TMO: Rhys Thomas (WRU)
  • Live on Premier Sports

Saturday, February 13

• R11: Glasgow Warriors v Benetton
  • Scotstoun Stadium, Glasgow
  • Referee: Hollie Davidson (SRU, competition debut)
  • Assistant Referees: Sam Grove-White & Keith Allen (both SRU)
  • TMO: Neil Patterson (SRU)
  • Live on Premier Sports, DAZN

More Red Card Confusion

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56002803

O'Mahoney gets a 3 game ban (the fact it should be much longer is another matter), however they are only counting the 6 nations games so misses the Scotland game. However there are 2 free weekends inbetween with club games that he could be playing in so in reality its 5 games he is missing.

I dont know why they dont dish out weeks and say you are able to play again from this date - and make it finish on a Tuesday as there are Pro14 games on a Monday now

Given as above George Taylor was able to include a Edinburgh v Glasgow bounce game in his 3 game ban the rules are all over the place

Edited by honestly united

2 hours ago, honestly united said:

More Red Card Confusion

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56002803

O'Mahoney gets a 3 game ban (the fact it should be much longer is another matter), however they are only counting the 6 nations games so misses the Scotland game. However there are 2 free weekends inbetween with club games that he could be playing in so in reality its 5 games he is missing.

I dont know why they dont dish out weeks and say you are able to play again from this date - and make it finish on a Tuesday as there are Pro14 games on a Monday now

Given as above George Taylor was able to include a Edinburgh v Glasgow bounce game in his 3 game ban the rules are all over the place

They did it in weeks in the past, but had a similar issue where guys were banned for 12 weeks, but only missed one game after being sent off in the last game of the season.

55 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

They did it in weeks in the past, but had a similar issue where guys were banned for 12 weeks, but only missed one game after being sent off in the last game of the season.

I get that end of season could be an issue, but surely people are aware of what games are on when ie if its the end of the season, it runs however many weeks are left in the season, then picks up again at the start of the next?