Rugby Union

kiwififer

Guest TheJTS98
1 minute ago, G51 said:

Sharing anti-racist principles should be the minimum requirement for representing the national team. Character is just as important as ability.

They shouldn’t need to be forced to, they should want to. If they don’t then there’s  a problem.

Kneeling is not a sign that you support anti-racist principles. Anyone can kneel down. It's a piece of cake.

I'm a member of Amnesty International. I've volunteered for them. I've fund-raised and written letters and emails as part of Amnesty International campaigns. When I worked at a uni that had annual events in support of Amnesty International, I refused to get involved because I simply do not want social or political issues as part of my relationship with work.

That's a perfectly reasonable position to take. You have no right to shame anyone into participating. It defeats the purpose.

It's easy for anyone to see how normalising the public pressuring of athletes to display corporate support for social or political movements could end up going wrong.

5 minutes ago, G51 said:

Sharing anti-racist principles should be the minimum requirement for representing the national team. Character is just as important as ability.

They shouldn’t need to be forced to, they should want to. If they don’t then there’s  a problem.

Your big team didn't all do it either

Neither did the officials. 

2 minutes ago, GAD said:

Oafft, wrap yourself in your wee orange strip there mate and tell me Rangers have had nothing to do with promoting sectarianism in Scotland. Some look for you I have to say.

Just to be clear, I think the players should have taken the knee. I think it's a terrible look that they didn't and I'm very disappointed. 

So you’re disappointed with them but you’re still trying to justify their actions? Seems contradictory to me.

5 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Your big team didn't all do it either

Neither did the officials. 

Anyone who knew the first thing about me would know I’m not a unionist. 

Id rather be a unionist than defending people for not taking part in a show of solidarity against racism, right enough.

9 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Kneeling is not a sign that you support anti-racist principles. Anyone can kneel down. It's a piece of cake.

I'm a member of Amnesty International. I've volunteered for them. I've fund-raised and written letters and emails as part of Amnesty International campaigns. When I worked at a uni that had annual events in support of Amnesty International, I refused to get involved because I simply do not want social or political issues as part of my relationship with work.

That's a perfectly reasonable position to take. You have no right to shame anyone into participating. It defeats the purpose.

It's easy for anyone to see how normalising the public pressuring of athletes to display corporate support for social or political movements could end up going wrong.

It’s great that you worked for Amnesty International. But unfortunately, work is political and social, by its necessity. 

Guest TheJTS98
1 minute ago, G51 said:

It’s great that you worked for Amnesty International. But unfortunately, work is political and social, by its necessity. 

Sounds clever, but is actually meaningless.

People have the right to go to work, do their job, and go home.

I'm not sure you'd apply this principle to many other areas of life. What else are you in favour of forcing people to do?

I think it's a far more powerful message that only some players did it because you know they did it because they wanted to. When I see the football where EVERY player, EVERY official, EVERY sub, the managers, the coaches, the physios and ALL the hangers on take the knee, you begin to think they've been told to do it. 

2 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Sounds clever, but is actually meaningless.

People have the right to go to work, do their job, and go home.

I'm not sure you'd apply this principle to many other areas of life. What else are you in favour of forcing people to do?

To try and argue that work isn’t political is something. Do you know who the Labour Party are and who funds them (at least until Keith Starmer came along anyway).

I have zero time for corporate support for anti-racism principles. Sports teams are different because they represent people. That’s important and yesterday we were embarrassed by the Scottish rugby team, regardless of the result on the pitch.

Lets hope they clear this up very quickly because if they don’t, it will reinforce a lot of stereotypes people have about Scottish rugby.

Guest TheJTS98
2 minutes ago, G51 said:

To try and argue that work isn’t political is something. Do you know who the Labour Party are and who funds them (at least until Keith Starmer came along anyway).

I have zero time for corporate support for anti-racism principles. Sports teams are different because they represent people. That’s important and yesterday we were embarrassed by the Scottish rugby team, regardless of the result on the pitch.

Lets hope they clear this up very quickly because if they don’t, it will reinforce a lot of stereotypes people have about Scottish rugby.

Were we? Speak for yourself.

When you are assuming your own views as those of all of us, and when you're advocating peer-pressuring people into public displays of support for certain political or social groups, you're on quite shaky ground.

I'll not be voting for you.

3 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

It's a special mindset to confess to ignorance of how a sport is dealing with an issue, then seize the moral high-ground from a group of guys who have obviously had internal discussions over weeks and months with teammates, managers etc. Doesn't matter how they arrived there, you can just decide they are 'comfortable with structural racism'.

Get a grip of yourself.

They had internal discussions about it over weeks and months and ended up with a handful of them doing it and the others not? Does that not make it an even worse look for the ones that didn't

Guest TheJTS98
1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

They had internal discussions about it over weeks and months and ended up with a handful of them doing it and the others not? Does that not make it an even worse look for the ones that didn't

No. It looks like they're a bunch of adults who can tolerate different approaches to something.

15 minutes ago, G51 said:

And you'd be the first to condemn that I'm sure given your stance in people doing the same about Rangers?

On Finn Russell, if I use a football analogy. He's a bit like a Bruno Fernandes, yes he'll make mistakes and turn possession over, but over the piece he'll create more than he costs. And when he gets it right it'll lead to a scoring chance 9/10. I'm a massive fan of his but realise he isn't without flaw. His place kicking in particular needs to improve.

1 minute ago, Gianfranco said:

Who do we want to win this afternoon then? I think I’d rather Wales win and we can put them in their place next week. Just to decrease Ireland’s chances of winning the tournament.

I agree, I think Ireland are a bigger threat than Wales and it would be better so see them lose early. I can't see it happening though.