Rugby Union

kiwififer

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

Yeah agreed, but at least he's decisive and doesn't fanny about, especially at the scrum. I think there were only about 2 or 3 resets tonight?

Yeah, but speaking as a prop he is guilty of just making a snap decision.  He's reffed me in games when the scrum has been a total lottery.  Granted tonight he did get it mostly right from what I saw. 

I'd watch 80 mins of scrummaging to be honest though, so my opinion on how long we spend on scrummaging might be biased. 

13 minutes ago, super_carson said:

Yeah our last game was against Musselburgh.  It was gutting for us because we had two semis to look forward to.  I'm also 31 now and depending on what gets decided about when we can restart my days may be numbered.  Especially if we bring in these rules that the RFU did to do away with scrums and mauls while covid is still going. I'm an old slow prop with hands like frying pans. 

The laws were changed this year, hands on the ball is not enough. You have to pull on the ball and not go beyond it with your hands or just rest on it.   He's not supporting his own bodyweight - you're also not going to get away with just leaning on the tackled player with your legs.  It is harsh, but by the letter of the law it is a penalty - I've seen those given either way mind

31 is a good effort! I was a prop as well, and I was done by 27. I was also rubbish! My dad was a good player, a skillfull fullback. He played till he was 43.

7 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Yeah agreed, but at least he's decisive and doesn't fanny about, especially at the scrum. I think there were only about 2 or 3 resets tonight?

Thought Ross Thompson was excellent. That performance should be enough to see him as first choice until the summer at least.

Agree, it's a shitshow of a season anyway, so keep him in and see how he improves. Same with McLean, who I thought did fine today.

31 is a good effort! I was a prop as well, and I was done by 27. I was also rubbish! My dad was a good player, a skillfull fullback. He played till he was 43.
I'd like to think I can keep going, I felt really fit last season so maybe the extended break my keep me going for a bit longer!

Not sure the other half is thrilled about me playing into my mid thirties...

2 minutes ago, super_carson said:

Yeah, but speaking as a prop he is guilty of just making a snap decision.  He's reffed me in games when the scrum has been a total lottery.  Granted tonight he did get it mostly right from what I saw. 

I'd watch 80 mins of scrummaging to be honest though, so my opinion on how long we spend on scrummaging might be biased. 

There's so many things going on that a ref could ping that it always will be. I enjoy seeing a good scrum, but as a former back, I'm in favour of the "one reset then just fucking ping someone" approach. They definitely need better coached in that area though. Every top team has a scrum coach, and the refs could do with someone too. There was the story that Sean Fitzpatrick went to an IRB refs meeting before the 2003 RWC, showed them 10 clips, and then explained why the refs' take was wrong in every one!

2 minutes ago, GAD said:

Agree, it's a shitshow of a season anyway, so keep him in and see how he improves. Same with McLean, who I thought did fine today.

Yip. The two of them and Dobie show good signs, although there is still the rumour that McLean's hip is an issue. Baptism of fire for Ollie Smith too, being run over by Sau for the last Embra try.

Well that was actually a lot of fun.

If it wasn't his first start I'm almost certain Ross Thompson wouldn't have got man of the match for that performance but in such a difficult position he did extremely well. He's always had a bit of potential and probably should've been given a shot about a year ago. McLean was never gonna get much ball but did well when he was involved. Smith was thrown in at the deep end out of position and all he did was get smashed out the way by Sau but he's another with a good future.

I thought Huw Jones was really good, always looked dangerous when he got the ball.

58 minutes ago, super_carson said:
1 hour ago, GAD said:
Do you play for Ayr?

Nah, Currie.

It was a shame to see that Currie team of a couple of years ago ripped apart by Super 6. As well as current pros like Crosbie, Shiel, Gordon etc. I was really impressed by Joe Reynolds and Scott McGinley (I think, big bearded numher 8?). Seems like a really promising young side that did well last season though.

25 minutes ago, afca32 said:

It was a shame to see that Currie team of a couple of years ago ripped apart by Super 6. As well as current pros like Crosbie, Shiel, Gordon etc. I was really impressed by Joe Reynolds and Scott McGinley (I think, big bearded numher 8?). Seems like a really promising young side that did well last season though.

Joey was actually involved at Glasgow for a bit, think he knew Rennie from back home.  We had some back row with Tomny G, Scott and Crosbie, and a really talented backline.  We lost a few to pro contracts and super six, then a few went abroad or back home.  Funnily enough a few guys I know playing super 6 (not ex Currie players either) really aren't enjoying it.  

Our team was very young last year.  I think our average age was something like 20/21 and that was with one or two  dragging up the average age a fair bit. - I was the oldest by a few years and i was only 30 when the season got halted.  Must admit I loved last season though.  Our coaches are so focused on player development and enjoyment, it really is a great environment.  We had so many guys do really well in their first season of senior rugby.  We should have most of that team together still, so hopefully we can get to challenge for the league and cup again.  

There's chat the prem clubs want to start in June, and that would suit us.  We got some big wins when the pitches were dry and fast, and had a dip on the heavy pitches.  I think it would be good for clubs as, if we are allowed, more fans are going to come and watch if the weather was dry and warm.

6 minutes ago, super_carson said:

Joey was actually involved at Glasgow for a bit, think he knew Rennie from back home.  We had some back row with Tomny G, Scott and Crosbie, and a really talented backline.  We lost a few to pro contracts and super six, then a few went abroad or back home.  Funnily enough a few guys I know playing super 6 (not ex Currie players either) really aren't enjoying it.  

Our team was very young last year.  I think our average age was something like 20/21 and that was with one or two  dragging up the average age a fair bit. - I was the oldest by a few years and i was only 30 when the season got halted.  Must admit I loved last season though.  Our coaches are so focused on player development and enjoyment, it really is a great environment.  We had so many guys do really well in their first season of senior rugby.  We should have most of that team together still, so hopefully we can get to challenge for the league and cup again.  

There's chat the prem clubs want to start in June, and that would suit us.  We got some big wins when the pitches were dry and fast, and had a dip on the heavy pitches.  I think it would be good for clubs as, if we are allowed, more fans are going to come and watch if the weather was dry and warm.

Aye I remember Reynolds playing a friendly for Glasgow. I'm just racking my brain and remembering that backline and forgot how good it was with Hunter, Forbes, Nelson and Robbins etc.

I'm dead against summer football but think it might work for part time rugby in Scotland. One of the issues with Super 6 last year was it started in November and finished in March so there were a lot of games in poor conditions which might be enjoyable for forwards but aren't necessarily for young outside backs or spectators. Playing more when the weather is good is surely a bit of a no brainer.

3 hours ago, GAD said:

Im 45 and granted not played in 2 years due to injury then  Covid,  but my heart and head says I will be back playing next year, my body though may have different idea's

Quite an enjoyable game tonight, big change from the last one. I think we are well served at 9 & 10 with Dobie coming through and Thompson and Chamberlain actually giving us a few options. Makes a change from a few years ago when the choice was Dan Parks or Chris Patterson, we are now spoilt for choice with Russel, Hastings, Van der Walt and Weir as back up, and the 2 young lads coming through

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55720192

Whoever wrote this article has made a total c**t of it

Sam Johnson the centre who plays number 12 has signed a new contract for Glasgow

in the article it says he made his Scotland debut in the 38 38 draw with England at Twickenham

This is not true - Johnson made his debut against Italy at Murrayfield

Silly c**t

I'm finding if quite hard to give a f**k about this six nations to be honest. No fans, shit weather, a bunch of slog fests against teams it feels like we just played, shit refereeing and almost certainly games being "awarded" due to Covid. I think it'll be crap.

5 minutes ago, GAD said:

I'm finding if quite hard to give a f**k about this six nations to be honest. No fans, shit weather, a bunch of slog fests against teams it feels like we just played, shit refereeing and almost certainly games being "awarded" due to Covid. I think it'll be crap.

Aye likewise, but on the bright side we've got a new number 8 for people to get far too excited about before he makes <1 metre per carry over the tournament