Rugby Union

kiwififer

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, ajwffc said:

The 2nd one was definitely a penalty to England. The ball was still in the ruck and the French number 23 just came in from the side and picked it up. 

The missed knock on was awful, as was the phantom knock on from the French after the re-start in extra time. 

That effectively cost France the game. They had England pinned on their own line and Brace gave them an easy way out. 

I don't think he had a bad game, but he lost the plot in extra time and had obviously decided that England were in the ascendancy and deserved to get the marginal decisions. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
30 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The 2nd one was definitely a penalty to England. The ball was still in the ruck and the French number 23 just came in from the side and picked it up. 

The missed knock on was awful, as was the phantom knock on from the French after the re-start in extra time. 

That effectively cost France the game. They had England pinned on their own line and Brace gave them an easy way out. 

I don't think he had a bad game, but he lost the plot in extra time and had obviously decided that England were in the ascendancy and deserved to get the marginal decisions. 

Actually, on 2nd and 3rd look, I've changed my mind about the penalty. 

The French player is clearly the 1st player in after the tackle and it's the English player who comes in from the side and heels the ball back. 

Very poor from Brace, but like many rugby referees he seemed easily fooled by momentum. He'd actually been fine for 78 mins, but then went straight into the age old fall-back of 'the team going forward always get the decisions'. 

Ultimately, he decided who won. 

So after the joint shit shows by Scotland and Glasgow this weekend I wonder if Ben Healy still wants to come over? 
What really annoys me about Scotland is their utter shitebaggery against Ireland. Scotland don't have this against say France. 2 weeks ago they got very close to an extremely solid French team at Murryfield (place we have a great record against them). A France second team nearly beats England in London...but what do we do, utter collapse to an overated Irish team yet again...

15 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
16 hours ago, come on shire said:
So after the joint shit shows by Scotland and Glasgow this weekend I wonder if Ben Healy still wants to come over? 

What really annoys me about Scotland is their utter shitebaggery against Ireland. Scotland don't have this against say France. 2 weeks ago they got very close to an extremely solid French team at Murryfield (place we have a great record against them). A France second team nearly beats England in London...but what do we do, utter collapse to an overated Irish team yet again...

The difference in the games is that we survived the goal line onslaught either side of HT Vs France (held up and Jalibert kicking the ball away) whereas Ireland scored their two opportunities. 

I don't think there was much difference between either performance just the scoreline. 

The hugely frustrating thing is we have gone from (2 stupid penalties by Ritchie aside) one of the best opening 30 minutes to a match I have seen form Scotland in a long time, too utter capitulation for the next 20 or so. we really lack any sort of leadership in the team, it doesn't help that Hogg as captain is usually miles from the action so cant have a quiet word with the ref when its required. I dont know who you would pick though, Your guaranteed starters when all fit are probably Grey, Cummings, Ritchie, Watson, Price, Russell and Hogg - I dont see Watson, Price or Russell as captain material so would one of Grey, Cummings or Ritchie be a better option?

Also having watched the Glasgow game, was good to see Dobie back playing, seem to be a big step up from Kennedy when he came on. Hes still not the finished article but he just has that thing all the great scrum halfs have of looking like he has all the time in the world on the ball and never looks rushed. I wouldn't be suprised if by this time next year he was Scotlands 1st choice scrum half, never mind Glasgow.

The hugely frustrating thing is we have gone from (2 stupid penalties by Ritchie aside) one of the best opening 30 minutes to a match I have seen form Scotland in a long time, too utter capitulation for the next 20 or so. we really lack any sort of leadership in the team, it doesn't help that Hogg as captain is usually miles from the action so cant have a quiet word with the ref when its required. I dont know who you would pick though, Your guaranteed starters when all fit are probably Grey, Cummings, Ritchie, Watson, Price, Russell and Hogg - I dont see Watson, Price or Russell as captain material so would one of Grey, Cummings or Ritchie be a better option?

Also having watched the Glasgow game, was good to see Dobie back playing, seem to be a big step up from Kennedy when he came on. Hes still not the finished article but he just has that thing all the great scrum halfs have of looking like he has all the time in the world on the ball and never looks rushed. I wouldn't be suprised if by this time next year he was Scotlands 1st choice scrum half, never mind Glasgow.
Why wouldn't you see Price as captain, genuine question. I think he would relish the responsibility

2 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
7 hours ago, honestly united said:

Why wouldn't you see Price as captain, genuine question. I think he would relish the responsibility

I dont think he would be a bad captain and maybe at Glasgow would do a good job, but I just think it would be the same nicely nicely approach that we have had the last couple of years. Grey and Cummings both come across as the same but could maybe lead by example, Ritchie has a bit more of an edge about him although comes across well anytime I have seen him on TV, although Im  willing to be proved wrong. I think all the good captains have that balance of being hard and fearless, inspiring, but also being level headed enough to put over your points to the ref without upsetting them, and getting them onside.

Having not checked if it would have made any difference, seemingly the rules for a drawn play off game where as follows, none of which includes playing sudden death - will be interesting if France had less penalties during the 80 minutes

https://www.autumnnationscup.com/about-us/

A Tied Match: In the event of a tie at full-time in a play-off Match,
the teams will be placed according to the number of tries (including penalty tries)
scored by each such team in the play-off Match.

If the teams have scored the same number of tries (including penalty tries),
then the team that has conceded the fewest number of penalties during the play-off Match shall prevail.

If two Participating teams are still tied, then the Participating team whose team is ranked highest
in the official World Rugby rankings as at 12 November 2020 shall prevail.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/dec/08/steve-thompson-former-rugby-union-players-dementia-landmark-legal-case

This could be the end of rugby. 

There are going to be huge numbers of cases like this in the next 20 years. There was definitely an irony in the tournament being settled by the French scrumhalf sealing off innocuously after watching insane torpedo clear outs all weekend particularly from Ireland and England. 

53 minutes ago, Detournement said:

This shouldn't be part of any sport. 

That's pretty hideous to watch tbh. When high tackles and people landing on their heads is so tightly policed now, diving straight into a jackler's head and neck should be treated the same. Just because you're not quick enough to support a runner doesn't make that ok 

54 minutes ago, Detournement said:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/dec/08/steve-thompson-former-rugby-union-players-dementia-landmark-legal-case

There are going to be huge numbers of cases like this in the next 20 years. There was definitely an irony in the tournament being settled by the French scrumhalf sealing off innocuously after watching insane torpedo clear outs all weekend particularly from Ireland and England. 

Rugby today is nearly unrecognisable from the when it turned professional, but i think the next 10 years will see even bigger changes.

Clear outs like those are the first thing that should be banned for player safety. Make it simple, if you go off your feet when running into a ruck you get carded. Its starting to work on high tackles and its the next step in player safety.

But the rules also need looked at due to the boring play we have seen. Nobody wants to play in their own half as there is too much chance they will get penalised at a ruck which leads to the opposition scoring. Changing to free kicks for ruck offences may help give teams more confidence to run the ball, or limit the numbers of defenders that can join a ruck ie tackler and 2 others

Yes, read it in BBC too

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/55201237

It really will open a can of worms. Genuinely not surprised tbh and can see Sexton having problems in next few years.

12 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

It really will open a can of worms. Genuinely not surprised tbh and can see Sexton having problems in next few years.

The amount of players this will effect will huge and will probably get worse as players from 2007 World Cup onwards start to hit their late 40s/50s.

Thinking about player safety it's mental to think of people defending Warburton in the 2010 WC semi which shows they are moving in the correct direction but there's loads more to do. Torpedo clear outs need to next. Free kicks for a jackal pen is a good idea, possibly cards for cumulative holding on offences as well so that more succesful jackals are actually turned over in live play.

Edited by Detournement

54 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Townsend's contract extended. Not too sure what I think of that, he's a tad flaky

Im the same. Its another 3 years from now, which seems an age away.

On the one hand we have bounced back fairly well from the World Cup, an average 6 Nations, which could have been really good bar Hogg's dropped ball at the Aviva, and the England game was ruined by the weather and Hogg again letting the ball bounce. Autumn started well with decent results if not performances - although winning in Wales and Italy we weren't great, after 30 minutes of good rugby in Dublin we fell apart. An overall record of played 40, won 22, drawn 1, lost 17 must put him as one of the most successful Scottish coaches of recent times and that record, plus 5 wins on the bounce (France home, Italy twice away, Georgia home, and Wales away) you would think he deserves more time

On the other hand we could be dreadful in the 6 nations coming up, but he still be safe and have another 2 6 nations before the world cup. We have Italy, Wales and Ireland at home and away at France and England, and conceivable we could be going into the last week needing to beat Italy to avoid the wooden spoon if Wales get their act together. 

Im not against the decision just think it should have waited a bit before making it.

Finn only played for 35 minutes of Test Rugby this year. Hopefully we will see an improvement when he comes back as our attack has been very poor this year.

The side looks fairly nailed on apart from 8 and 12. If Fraser Brown and Hogg could screw the nut that would be extremely useful as well.