Rugby Union

kiwififer

Guest Bob Mahelp

That performance  couldn't have been more Scottish if was drinking irn bru and eating a white pudding supper.

30 mins of good rugby with absolutely no cutting edge. Then 50 minutes of error strewn, mistake ridden, indecisive guff where our mental weaknesses were exposed time and time again. 

It's hard to know where to start. Maybe with the fact that we collapsed like a wet fart because of a yellow card. Or the fact that Darcy Graham is probably the worst defensive back in international rugby. Or the fact that for every good thing Hogg does, there are 2 brutal, basic errors right around the corner. Or the fact that we are incapable of playing the referee. Or the fact that Ireland proved once again that we're a soft touch against the type of clinical rugby that they play. 

If there were any positives, it was the form of the 2 Saffers in the backs. Although Russell is still badly missed. 

Aside from that, the pack did OK in the set piece. But another series of games where we go one step forwards and two steps backwards. 

We can be critical of Scotland until our wee Calvinist hearts are content, but it doesn't explain a shit yellow card and a try being given despite absolutely no-one seeing the grounding. And that's only the highlights of one of the worst refereeing performances I've ever seen. It's really hard to make progress or play through hands against a defence that's allowed to stand 50cm offside at every other ruck and that slows down your recycle by blatantly handling in the ruck until the second shout from the referee. We just couldn't build any momentum when we were getting pinged for offences while Ireland were being coached to avoid them.

Scotland weren't great but honestly, I don't feel I can judge them on what happened in that match.

And worth saying, no, I don't want us to play more like Ireland. I want referees to do their jobs. Because if Scotland played like Ireland and got the same success I wouldn't spend all that money on season passes, watching them on telly would be enough.

25 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Shocker from Thomson.

Dragons absolutely knew what they were doing deliberately charging before he had started his run up though

Total shocker, had a feeling he might f**k it up. Not sure where Glasgow go from here. I think Grant Stewart might actually be the coming man. He is fast as f**k (see try in P14 final) and solid at the set piece. Brown continues to be good for 2 or 3 momentum shifting penalties / mistakes in every game. 

I suppose the issue is that Wilson’s Cardiff teams were cannon fodder who you’d expect routine BP victories against even on their own patch under Townsend and Rennie. The myth of the Challenge cup where they bullied a sh*teabag Edinburgh team to get to the final - who cares? I don’t think he has got it.  

Do you take a Townsend style gamble on Blair (Scotland coach, not doing much obvious stuff to the outsider?)

As for Scotland, Hogg is a liability as captain, he needs to concentrate on his own game. Give it to Cummings for the next 10 years.

Guest Bob Mahelp
49 minutes ago, GordonS said:

We can be critical of Scotland until our wee Calvinist hearts are content, but it doesn't explain a shit yellow card and a try being given despite absolutely no-one seeing the grounding. And that's only the highlights of one of the worst refereeing performances I've ever seen. It's really hard to make progress or play through hands against a defence that's allowed to stand 50cm offside at every other ruck and that slows down your recycle by blatantly handling in the ruck until the second shout from the referee. We just couldn't build any momentum when we were getting pinged for offences while Ireland were being coached to avoid them.

Scotland weren't great but honestly, I don't feel I can judge them on what happened in that match.

And worth saying, no, I don't want us to play more like Ireland. I want referees to do their jobs. Because if Scotland played like Ireland and got the same success I wouldn't spend all that money on season passes, watching them on telly would be enough.

Ireland are probably the best team in world rugby at playing the referee. 

Scotland are probably the worst. 

13 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Ireland are probably the best team in world rugby at playing the referee. 

Scotland are probably the worst. 

This is it. And being moralistic about it is hilarious, Scotland have done it when it suits them as well. Our 2018 win over England is very unlikely without taking advantage of big Nige's interpretation of the breakdown, for example.

Our defence had been really solid all year, yet we play Ireland and its like we stop trusting the defence and start giving away silly penalties when we dont need to. Just get back to your feet and ready for the next play and not try and win turnovers that aren;t there. Granted the yellow for Taylor turned the game, but we let Ireland back into it at the start of the 2nd half, and just didn't get going again.

1 minute ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

This is it. And being moralistic about it is hilarious, Scotland have done it when it suits them as well. Our 2018 win over England is very unlikely without taking advantage of big Nige's interpretation of the breakdown, for example.

You have to play the ref, we just dont and keep getting pinged for the same things

It was good in the 1st half hour in Dublin. The defence was excellent, we were tough to beat and the scrum was solid. We're creating more depth especially at 10 which is positive too. However the rest of the game saw poor discipline and put ourselves under needless pressure by giving away penalties. 

Toony's spoke about being tough to beat and improving away. It looked it was working early in the year and in Llanelli but it's dismantling. Hogg owes us a big game as he's underwhelmed. He needs the captaincy taken off him or dropped so he can regroup and give Maitland or Jones a shot at 15. However I think Toony's scared to drop the "talisman". 

Hogg said they'll be better in the 6N next year. So like Toony he's speaking a lot but they must start "doing". 

Therfore we've got a right to start asking questions and expecting better. If the 6N next year is average at best again then it's time to admit the Scotland job's too big for Toony and we need change. 

As for Glasgow, it's clear Covid and the international bubble has affected recruitment and depth badly so I'm forgiving if this season isn't great but we can ask questions and look for change if it's a repeat next season. 

However last night's team should've won at home to the Dragons with a BP and starved them of a losing BP. Leinster and Ulster are running away with 1st and 2nd in Conference A. We're 5th and just 5 points ahead of Zebre who're bottom but we SHOULD be ok. However it's a 3 way battle for third with Ospreys, Dragons and us. That would get us an away quarter final in the play offs and the European Champions Cup next season. However Dragons have 2 games in hand over us. 

I'm not blaming Thompson as we weren't good enough over the game. The MD Nathan Bombrys has a Zoom meeting with fans next week. It could be interesting. Personally I was a bit underwhelmed with Danny Wilson's appointment.