Rugby Union

kiwififer

10 hours ago, ajwffc said:

Damien Hoyland and lock Grant Gilchrist are booth out of all the upcoming internationals due to injury. Matt Fagerson will miss the Wales game. Sean Maitland has been dropped from the squad.  Ratu Tagive has been called up again 

The continued selection of Tagive at even pro level is even more baffling than the decision of Sean Maitland to go out for pints with his mates last week.

Scotland were excellent on Fri night.  We completely marshalled the famous Georgian pack.  Our set piece at the scrum and line out was excellent and defence was outstanding too apart from the van der Merwe's missed tackle for the Georgian try.  The rolling maul was excellent too. We have Pieter de Villiers and Steve Tandy to thank for that.  Good coach recruitment by Toony there.  We really should be targeting a win vs Wales down in Llanelli on Saturday.

We have a solid squad for Saturday.  The only thing I'm unhappy with is Sean Maitland missing due to Covid protocols which is a blow.  Tagive coming in to replace him.  He's getting better for Glasgow but I don't think he's international standard.  He's too quiet on the park.  Grant Gilchrist being out isn't an issue to me as he's a penalty machine.  Gray and Skinner coming back will hopefully keep Harley on the bench.

Glasgow started well but ran out of leadership and a game plan.  We were away from home, granted, but Ospreys beat us to get just their 2nd home win in almost a year.  Seymour still offers flashes but I think his retirement is imminent and Ryan Wilson is Glasgow's Grant Gilchrist with the amount of penalties he gives away.  However, our squad are still of a quality standard so even though Danny Wilson wants us to play more pragmatically, we should be doing much better.  On Mon night we have Leinster at home with Ulster away the Mon after.  If both of those are defeats then the coaching group need to come together to find out what's going on.

Despite all that, Covid has affected recruitment and budgets so there's reasons if this season's a write-off.  However, vaccines are nearer so if it's like this the following season then tough decisions will have to be made.  

Edited by come on shire

Im thinking we will probably line up as follows on Saturday

Hogg, van der Merwe, Harris (although would prefer JOnes), Johnson, Graham, Russell, Price, Fagerson, Brown, Sutherland, Gray, Cummings, Watson, Ritchie, Haining, subs McINally, Bergham, Kebble, Toolis, du Preez, Horne, Hastings, Kinghorn.

The Glasgow team that started on Saturday had 10-12 internationals, and the likes of Dobie, Gordon and the big lad at 2nd row are all good prospects so wasn't a bad side.  Will give Wilson the benifit of the doubt at the moment as some guys were making their debuts or first game of the season / since covid break so maybe not quite sure on the new game plan, but I think it is more the previous summers lack of signings that are the issue. We still haven't replaced Hogg & Jackson at full back, and we dont have a back up 10 other than 10, as although I had initial hopes for Thompson he has regressed - Leinster and Ulster are dead rubbers IMHO so will see where we are by the end of Jan.

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

Im thinking we will probably line up as follows on Saturday

Hogg, van der Merwe, Harris (although would prefer JOnes), Johnson, Graham, Russell, Price, Fagerson, Brown, Sutherland, Gray, Cummings, Watson, Ritchie, Haining, subs McINally, Bergham, Kebble, Toolis, du Preez, Horne, Hastings, Kinghorn.

The Glasgow team that started on Saturday had 10-12 internationals, and the likes of Dobie, Gordon and the big lad at 2nd row are all good prospects so wasn't a bad side.  Will give Wilson the benifit of the doubt at the moment as some guys were making their debuts or first game of the season / since covid break so maybe not quite sure on the new game plan, but I think it is more the previous summers lack of signings that are the issue. We still haven't replaced Hogg & Jackson at full back, and we dont have a back up 10 other than 10, as although I had initial hopes for Thompson he has regressed - Leinster and Ulster are dead rubbers IMHO so will see where we are by the end of Jan.

There’s no way Skinner won’t be involved, either starting  at 5 / 6 or off the bench.

I’d have Jones on the bench ahead of Kinghorn, who 9 times out of 10 makes the selfish and wrong decision.

Glasgow just fell apart last week, we started nicely and should have been 3 or 4 tries up at half time but then just let them dominate territory. Wilson’s pragmatic gameplan totally neuters our real strength. If the players grow into it and can shit fest games then fair enough but I don’t think we have the depth in the pack to do so and I’m not sure I really want to watch it.

1 hour ago, Snobot said:

There’s no way Skinner won’t be involved, either starting  at 5 / 6 or off the bench.

I’d have Jones on the bench ahead of Kinghorn, who 9 times out of 10 makes the selfish and wrong decision.

Glasgow just fell apart last week, we started nicely and should have been 3 or 4 tries up at half time but then just let them dominate territory. Wilson’s pragmatic gameplan totally neuters our real strength. If the players grow into it and can shit fest games then fair enough but I don’t think we have the depth in the pack to do so and I’m not sure I really want to watch it.

I think Skinner will miss out Wales but will defiantely start over the Autumn, more as he missed a lot of 6 nations due to injury and the other 3 will no the systems better.

I'm expecting us to destroy Wales in the scrum. They will do anything to avoid engaging so hopefully the ref stands up to them. 

Both props are superb but Fraser Brown's bulk really makes the difference. That's why I'd always go for Stewart over Turner for Glasgow as Turner gives the opposition the opportunity to attack whereas Stewart is far stronger. 

6 hours ago, come on shire said:

Scotland were excellent on Fri night.  We completely marshalled the famous Georgian pack.  Our set piece at the scrum and line out was excellent and defence was outstanding too apart from the van der Merwe's missed tackle for the Georgian try.  The rolling maul was excellent too. We have Pieter de Villiers and Steve Tandy to thank for that.  Good coach recruitment by Toony there.  We really should be targeting a win vs Wales down in Llanelli on Saturday.

Rory Sutherland standinding there watching the Georgian catch and run with the ball was worse than the missed tackle 

European Champions Cup draw is as clear as mud.

Edinburgh will play Sale Sharks and Stade Rochelais in Pool A, while Glasgow take on Exeter and Lyon in Pool B.

Top 4 in each pool go into the quarter finals, while those finishing 5th-8th 4 go into the quarters of the Challenge Cup.20201028_163649.jpg.b2f05b734c3aed6b5e912141df3ee40c.jpg

Call me cynical but does Toony not want to win on Saturday?

He's starting Blair Kinghorn ahead of Duhan van der Merwe and he's got Scott Steele as the benched scrum half leaving no place for George Horne.

Blade Thomson is not long back from long term injury so I'd have benched him and started Cornell du Preez who showed up well on Friday night...

I think the only real controversial decisions were always going to be 8, 12 and one of the wingers since Maitland was out. 1-7 pick themselves now, and for me there isn't much in it between the main no 8 contenders. I think I'd have probably gone with Thompson as well, just because I don't particularly rate any of the others.

Not sure about Lang at 12 either. I don't see much there to be honest, and would definetely have preferred Johnson. I think he's just gone as solid as he can and hopes they can neutralise the threat of the Welsh centres. 

As for Kinghorn starting? I would have been surprised if he'd even made the bench let alone started. Big call from Townsend and one he'll get pelters for if it doesn't work out.

Guest Bob Mahelp

If Kinghorn has to start I'm happy he's back on the wing. I also don't know enough about James Lang to comment, but I'm happy that Chris Harris is there in the centres....he's a much underrated player who has come on leaps and bounds in the last 12 months. 

Aside from that, the only question mark I have is Blade Thomson at number 8. Is he all that great, or is he only starting because it's his home ground ? What's happened to Bradbury ?

The front row looks awesome, it would be great to beast the Welsh in the scrum. 

7 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

If Kinghorn has to start I'm happy he's back on the wing. I also don't know enough about James Lang to comment, but I'm happy that Chris Harris is there in the centres....he's a much underrated player who has come on leaps and bounds in the last 12 months. 

Aside from that, the only question mark I have is Blade Thomson at number 8. Is he all that great, or is he only starting because it's his home ground ? What's happened to Bradbury ?

The front row looks awesome, it would be great to beast the Welsh in the scrum. 

Kinghorn is better on the wing than full back, but wouldnt have him in in front of Duhan, I would thought he was better on the bench as can cover wing & full back. Lang & Steele I dont know enough about to comment, (I would expect there are concerns over Johnsons fitness as he has only played last week for Glasogw and not at all before that) but Thompson ahead of du Preez is a strange one, Thompson was annonymous vs Glasgow a few weeks ago, and dont think he has done anything in a Scotland shirt ot warrant a start - I would have both Haining and du Preez ahead of him

16 hours ago, Detournement said:

No arguments with the team for me.

1-7 pick themselves. Blade because it's his home ground/conditions against guys he knows well. Kinghorn over Duhan for the high ball. George Horne punted because he can't box kick. 

Aye, my heart is all for Horne in the squad, Duhan starting to run over the top of folk and Fagerson/Bradbury at 8, but for the reasons you suggest he's picked correctly for a tight game.

Only ones for me are Toolis over Skinner on the bench (I don't see the impact Toolis brings, just a spare body really.) Perhaps Skinner's not up to it after a congested period, but even with a lack of game time I'd prefer Richie Gray on the bench. 

Lang the other one, but our options in the centre have slowly changed over the last couple of years to the point it's not the area of strength it once was. Johnson unfit and no Hutchinson makes him the obvious choice.

I think those two plus Harris and Jones (no idea why Bennett hasn't had a sniff in the last year or so as he seems fit and at times back to his best) give us decent balance to pick from and they'll all make it to the next WC going by age. I  hope McDowall gets his opportunity witt Glasgow this year as he seems a potentially excellent player from what I've seen.

Unfortunately working tomorrow so will probably miss both Scotland v Wales and France v Ireland games. Not particularly bothered about England game.

I’ll be heading out about half 2 and won’t be back to halfway through the France game. If I was to play the Scotland game as live on BBC Iplayer and pause it would I be able to unpause and watch game when I come in. I could then “watch from start” on France v Ireland game. Would this work? It sounds genius in my head but I’m sure there will be a flaw somewhere