Rugby Union

kiwififer

34 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
On 19/10/2020 at 12:26, peasy23 said:
Back to internationals this Friday as Scotland take on Georgia at Murrayfield. Preview of the autumn games on the BBC.

Scotland: The key issues for Gregor Townsend this autumn - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54525650

Is the match on TV? If so, which channel?

ITV4 I think

If anyone is interested full Georgia squad 18 based in France, 2 in England, 3 in RUS pro league, the rest home based. The 3 un-attached were pro last year (2 for the Sunwolves in SuperRugby)

Loosehead Prop
Mikheil Nariashvili (Montpellier, FRA)
Guram Gogichashvili (Racing 92, FRA)
Lekso Kaulashvili (Bordeaux, FRA)

Hooker
Shalva Mamukashvili (Leicester, ENG)
Jaba Bregvadze (unattached?)
Giorgi Chkoidze (Lokomotiv Penza, RUS)

Tighthead Prop
Levan Chilachava (Montpellier, FRA)
Beka Gigashvili (Toulon, FRA)
Giorgi Melikidze (Stade Français, FRA)

Lock
Konstantin Mikautadze (unattached)
Nodar Cheishvili (Aia Kutaisi)
Davit Gigauri (Tarbes, FRA)
Grigor Kerdikoshvili (Lelo Tbilisi)
Lasha Jaiani (Exeter Uni RFC, ENG)
Giorgi Javakhia (Aurillac, FRA)

Backrow
Beka Gorgadze (Bordeaux, FRA)
Beka Saghinadze (Aurillac, FRA)
Otar Giorgadze (Brive, FRA)
Giga Tkhilaishvili (Batumi)
Mikheil Gachechiladze (Enisei-STM, RUS)
Tornike Jalagonia (Biarritz, FRA)
Ioane Iashagashvili (Bayonne, FRA)

Scrumhalf
Vasil Lobzhanidze (Brive, FRA)
Gela Aprasidze (Montpellier, FRA)
Mikheil Alania (Aurillac, FRA)

Flyhalf
Tedo Abzhandadze (Brive, FRA)
Lasha Khmaladze (Batumi)

Centre
Merab Sharikadze (unattached)
Tamaz Mchedlidze (Rouen, FRA)
Giorgi Kveseladze (Armazi Marneuli)
Demur Tapladze (Lelo Tbilisi)
Lasha Malaguradze (VVA-Podmoskovye, RUS)

Wingers
Akaki Tabutsadze (Lelo Tbilisi)
Sandro Svanidze (Armazi Marneuli)
Sandro Todua (Batumi)
Zurab Dzneladze (Locomotive Tbilisi)

Fullback
Soso Matiashvili (Lelo Tbilisi)
Davit Niniashvili (RC Khvamli?)

ITV4 I think

If anyone is interested full Georgia squad 18 based in France, 2 in England, 3 in RUS pro league, the rest home based. The 3 un-attached were pro last year (2 for the Sunwolves in SuperRugby)
Loosehead Prop
Mikheil Nariashvili (Montpellier, FRA)
Guram Gogichashvili (Racing 92, FRA)
Lekso Kaulashvili (Bordeaux, FRA)

Hooker
Shalva Mamukashvili (Leicester, ENG)
Jaba Bregvadze (unattached?)
Giorgi Chkoidze (Lokomotiv Penza, RUS)

Tighthead Prop
Levan Chilachava (Montpellier, FRA)
Beka Gigashvili (Toulon, FRA)
Giorgi Melikidze (Stade Français, FRA)

Lock
Konstantin Mikautadze (unattached)
Nodar Cheishvili (Aia Kutaisi)
Davit Gigauri (Tarbes, FRA)
Grigor Kerdikoshvili (Lelo Tbilisi)
Lasha Jaiani (Exeter Uni RFC, ENG)
Giorgi Javakhia (Aurillac, FRA)

Backrow
Beka Gorgadze (Bordeaux, FRA)
Beka Saghinadze (Aurillac, FRA)
Otar Giorgadze (Brive, FRA)
Giga Tkhilaishvili (Batumi)
Mikheil Gachechiladze (Enisei-STM, RUS)
Tornike Jalagonia (Biarritz, FRA)
Ioane Iashagashvili (Bayonne, FRA)

Scrumhalf
Vasil Lobzhanidze (Brive, FRA)
Gela Aprasidze (Montpellier, FRA)
Mikheil Alania (Aurillac, FRA)

Flyhalf
Tedo Abzhandadze (Brive, FRA)
Lasha Khmaladze (Batumi)

Centre
Merab Sharikadze (unattached)
Tamaz Mchedlidze (Rouen, FRA)
Giorgi Kveseladze (Armazi Marneuli)
Demur Tapladze (Lelo Tbilisi)
Lasha Malaguradze (VVA-Podmoskovye, RUS)

Wingers
Akaki Tabutsadze (Lelo Tbilisi)
Sandro Svanidze (Armazi Marneuli)
Sandro Todua (Batumi)
Zurab Dzneladze (Locomotive Tbilisi)

Fullback
Soso Matiashvili (Lelo Tbilisi)
Davit Niniashvili (RC Khvamli?)
Cheers

Team for Friday. I quite like it actually, decent pack and heavy bench to match up with Georgia's strengths and a slightly more experimental back line. First caps for Duhan and Kebble and a chance to see if Lang has anything about him.

IMG_20201021_120321.jpg

7 minutes ago, GAD said:

Team for Friday. I quite like it actually, decent pack and heavy bench to match up with Georgia's strengths and a slightly more experimental back line. First caps for Duhan and Kebble and a chance to see if Lang has anything about him.

IMG_20201021_120321.jpg

Like that team, although the backs is experimental to say the least.  Cornell Du Preez has had the weirdest international career since Strauss.  

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Like that team, although the backs is experimental to say the least.  Cornell Du Preez has had the weirdest international career since Strauss.  

Yeah, and he's only 29 as well, feels like he should be at least 35.

with the exeter players missing that is probably our first choice starting 15, with the exception of Russell (who has only just joined up with the squad after the Final), and giving Lang a run - although Johnson hasn't played much for Glasgow so not sure if fully fit.

I love Harley as club player, as he gives his all, and does all the dirty work, but he's just not international class, I am assuming neither Richie or Gilchrist are fit. 

Its also starting to look like Toonie has as much idea as everyone else about who the first choice 8 is. Fagerson is a cracking player but dont think he is big enough for 8, and would probably make a better blind side, but he has already gone through Du Preeez, Haining and Thompson and neither have looked likely to be the answer long term - he will probably have to pick and choose depending on the opposition.

Edit to add - only just relised that Maitland is missing the match to join Swinson and the rest of his Sarries mates playing for the Barbarians against England.

Edited by honestly united

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

with the exeter players missing that is probably our first choice starting 15, with the exception of Russell (who has only just joined up with the squad after the Final), and giving Lang a run - although Johnson hasn't played much for Glasgow so not sure if fully fit.

I love Harley as club player, as he gives his all, and does all the dirty work, but he's just not international class, I am assuming neither Richie or Gilchrist are fit. 

Its also starting to look like Toonie has as much idea as everyone else about who the first choice 8 is. Fagerson is a cracking player but dont think he is big enough for 8, and would probably make a better blind side, but he has already gone through Du Preeez, Haining and Thompson and neither have looked likely to be the answer long term - he will probably have to pick and choose depending on the opposition.

Edit to add - only just relised that Maitland is missing the match to join Swinson and the rest of his Sarries mates playing for the Barbarians against England.

Yeah, I think Maitland would still be a first pick, but I think for this game it's the correct back 3. Kinghorn really needs a chance to show her capable of playing 15 at an international level, and this is probably the right game yo do that. Right now I think Maitland would be our second choice 15 in a big game. I also think Harley might just be getting a reward for good club form and is the kind of big hard lump that can do a job against the big Georgian pack.

Centres are a bit of a worry tbh. Who ever thought in 2017/18 this would ever happen.

Bad news for Glasgow this weekend

Referee Listings and live TV Broadcast fixtures are listed below.

Friday, 23 October

Leinster v Zebre

RDS Arena, Dublin – KO 19:35 UK

Referee: Craig Evans (WRU, 12th competition game)

Assistant Referees: Chris Busby, Rob O’Sullivan (both IRFU)

TMO: Joy Neville (IRFU)

Live on eir Sport 1, Premier Sports 1, TG4, ESPN+ (USA), DAZN, pro14.tv.

Benetton v Scarlets

Stadio Monigo, Treviso – KO 21:15 ITA

Referee: Andrew Brace (IRFU, 57th competition game)

Assistant Referees: Manuel Bottino, Andrea Spadoni (both FIR)

TMO: Alan Falzone (FIR)

Live on eir Sport 2, Premier Sports 2, S4C, SuperSport Rugby, ESPN+ (USA), DAZN, pro14.tv.

Saturday, 24 October

Ospreys v Glasgow Warriors

Liberty Stadium, Swansea – KO 17:30 UK

Referee: George Clancy (IRFU, 125th competition game)

Assistant Referees: Ben Whitehouse, Dan Jones (both WRU)

TMO: Jon Mason (WRU)

Live on eir Sport 1, Premier Sports 1, ESPN+ (USA), pro14.tv.

Sunday, 25 October

Ulster v Dragons

*Kingspan Stadium, Belfast – KO 15:00 UK *

Referee: Gianluca Gnecchi (FIR, 3rd competition game)

Assistant Referees: Sean Gallagher, Chris Busby (both IRFU)

TMO: Olly Hodges (IRFU)

Live on eir Sport 1, Premier Sports 1, ESPN+ (USA), pro14.tv.

Edinburgh v Connacht

BT Murrayfield, Edinburgh – KO 19:35 UK

Referee: Adam Jones (WRU, 4th competition game)

Assistant Referees: Ben Blain, David Sutherland (both SRU)

TMO: Andrew McMenemy (SRU)

Live on eir Sport 1, Premier Sports 1, SuperSport Rugby, ESPN+ (USA), pro14.tv.

Monday, October 26

Munster v Cardiff Blues

Thomond Park, Limerick 20:15 UK

Referee: Andrea Piardi (FIR, 8th competition game)

Assistant Referees: Frank Murphy, Eoghan Cross (both IRFU)

TMO: Brian MacNeice (IRFU)

Live on eir Sport 1, Premier Sports 1, TG4, SuperSport Rugby, ESPN+ (USA), pro14.tv

22 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah, I think Maitland would still be a first pick, but I think for this game it's the correct back 3. Kinghorn really needs a chance to show her capable of playing 15 at an international level, and this is probably the right game yo do that. Right now I think Maitland would be our second choice 15 in a big game. I also think Harley might just be getting a reward for good club form and is the kind of big hard lump that can do a job against the big Georgian pack.

Centres are a bit of a worry tbh. Who ever thought in 2017/18 this would ever happen.

I dont think I would say centre is a worry either for this game or in general

I dont think I have ever seen Lang play so cant really comment but I wouldn't say Harris is a worry (in a 2010ish Scotland way when you would be better playing with 13 than select some of the centres we had) hes just a bit meh. Hes fairly solid in defence, and he does run good lines (try against Italy?) but he does just run straight, and doesn't offer anything else IMHO. You need an outside centre that is going to get the ball to Darcy and big Duhan in space and I just dont see it coming from Harris.

When you think Grigg, Bennett, McDowall, Dean, Johnstone and Hutchinson are not in the squad and guys like Horne and Dunbar who would a few years ago been standouts compared to what had come before are still about. Their are plenty of options at Centre that you would say are good enough for a Scotland squad 

Johnson and Jones on form is as good a centre pairing as any in the 6 nations

24 minutes ago, honestly united said:

I dont think I would say centre is a worry either for this game or in general

I dont think I have ever seen Lang play so cant really comment but I wouldn't say Harris is a worry (in a 2010ish Scotland way when you would be better playing with 13 than select some of the centres we had) hes just a bit meh. Hes fairly solid in defence, and he does run good lines (try against Italy?) but he does just run straight, and doesn't offer anything else IMHO. You need an outside centre that is going to get the ball to Darcy and big Duhan in space and I just dont see it coming from Harris.

When you think Grigg, Bennett, McDowall, Dean, Johnstone and Hutchinson are not in the squad and guys like Horne and Dunbar who would a few years ago been standouts compared to what had come before are still about. Their are plenty of options at Centre that you would say are good enough for a Scotland squad 

Johnson and Jones on form is as good a centre pairing as any in the 6 nations

I think there are a lot of average to good centres, but if you were to compare us to any of the other 6 nations teams, our centres are 5th at best. Dunbar, Horne and probably Scott and Taylor are done, Grigg has never really looked international level, Dean doesn't really look much better than Grigg, Hutcheson and Lang are untested, Bennet has never been the same since his injury and Johnstone is 30. You are really looking at Johnson, Harris and Jones, and Jones hasn't been in form for a long time now. 

It's nothing like a few years ago when Dunbar, Jones, Horne, Scott and Taylor were all in the squad and playing well.

4 hours ago, honestly united said:

I'd take Harley over Gilchrist every time.

I've never seen what Gilchrist apparently offers, he's just there, until he gives away a penalty.

ETA: two grafters like Harley and Toolis in the second row will allow that back row to carry and run the Georgians round the park.

Edited by Mark Connolly

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'd take Harley over Gilchrist every time.

I've never seen what Gilchrist apparently offers, he's just there, until he gives away a penalty.

ETA: two grafters like Harley and Toolis in the second row will allow that back row to carry and run the Georgians round the park.

Yeah, agree with this, I don't rate Gilchrist or Toolis to be honest. I think they are soft, I don't think they offer much in the loose either attacking or defending, and Gilchrist is a penalty machine. I don't think Harley is a great player either, but at least he's up for a fight and I'd rather have him on, throwing his weight about, especially in a game where it's going to be a real battle up front.

3 hours ago, honestly united said:

I dont know anyone that does rate Gilchrist, just suprised Harley started in front of him given Gilchrist is a regular in the squad

I've just seen there that Gilchrist is out of the squad injured and won't play in any of the games.

5 hours ago, honestly united said:

Will be an interesting selection from Glasgow this week, I am assuming none of the international squad will be allowed back and they have lost another 3 players as 1 has tested positive for Covid and 2 are self isolating having been in close contact

I am sure that it  is the case that the SRU will not release any players during the window 

https://www.theoffsideline.com/scotland-georgia-townsend/amp/?v=79cba1185463&__twitter_impression=true

5 released for Glasgow and 2 for Edinburgh according to the bottom of this article. This was before the positive test was revealed so that will obviously have an impact on the team but before that it looked like a strong squad available considering it's an international period.