Rugby Union

kiwififer

Glasgow grinding this one out. The tactics from the first two games have been very similar to the conservative tactics Townsend has been employing since the World Cup. The big difference being that Glasgow have no threat in the back 3.

The golden period of Glasgow games being must see looks to be over. 

Scotland 40 man squad is out.  Couple of residential qualifications.  Blair Cowan back from the wilderness.  No Rory Hutchison, which is an odd one.  And of course, Russell is back, to which I think we can all agree is celebratory news.

https://twitter.com/scotlandteam/status/1315631160060448769?s=21

8 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Scotland 40 man squad is out.  Couple of residential qualifications.  Blair Cowan back from the wilderness.  No Rory Hutchison, which is an odd one.  And of course, Russell is back, to which I think we can all agree is celebratory news.

https://twitter.com/scotlandteam/status/1315631160060448769?s=21

I assumed Hutchison must be injured but no sign of that anywhere. Weird one if he isn't, Townsend's "be solid and give it to Finn or Hogg" approach wasn't working in attack for me and Hutchison as a second playmaker, with either Harris or Johnson alongside him depending on opposition, seemed a good fix for this. 

Interestingly while the overall quality of the squad looks better and better, with a couple of players probably good enough at this level for each position, our choices in the centre are a lot less inspiring than they felt a few years ago. Harris is pretty good, Johnson is class, Jones might have some form back. But Grigg and Lang? Not for me 

1 hour ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I assumed Hutchison must be injured but no sign of that anywhere. Weird one if he isn't, Townsend's "be solid and give it to Finn or Hogg" approach wasn't working in attack for me and Hutchison as a second playmaker, with either Harris or Johnson alongside him depending on opposition, seemed a good fix for this. 

Interestingly while the overall quality of the squad looks better and better, with a couple of players probably good enough at this level for each position, our choices in the centre are a lot less inspiring than they felt a few years ago. Harris is pretty good, Johnson is class, Jones might have some form back. But Grigg and Lang? Not for me 

Wonder if Townsend just wanted to avoid a Graham situation by capping him early?   I assume there’s an injury or another reason. 

37 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Wonder if Townsend just wanted to avoid a Graham situation by capping him early?   I assume there’s an injury or another reason. 

He's listed as injured along with Duncan Taylor, Kyle Steyn, Byron Mcguigan and a couple of other on the usual "would have been called up if fit" list on the website. Matt Scott is not though, and neither is Bradbury.

Edited by GAD

Bradbury and Hutchinson are the 2 from previous squads missing, im assuming injured? (just read the above - Bradbury is a strange one then) Had also thought we might have seen Schoeman and Van der Valt getting the nod as Im sure both are now residency qualified. Thompson in the squad also, apparantly he played against Glasgow on Sunday but dont remember him doing anything!

Centre is a strange one as you have Bennett, Dean, Taylor, Johnston and McDowall all probably in contention also, but I think Johnson inside and either Jones or Hutchinson outside is the best pairing.

Cowan is odd as you would think he is not getting any younger and if he is just filling the squad surely one of the young guys at Glasgow or Edinburgh would get more out of making up the numbers than Cowan

Edited by honestly united