Rugby Union

kiwififer

For having a slightly larger budget (any info I can find has Glasgow's lasgow's budget is about £0.4 million a year higher than Edinburgh's) the Glasgow squad has more big name players who have not all worked out (Frisby for example) and not bringing in a full back to replace Hogg has cost them. But Richard Cockerell has built a stronger squad with a number of younger players with a point to prove.
Yes, he has done very well, wouldn't be too disappointed at all if he got Scotland job

7 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Where is the Pro 14 final being played?

They were advertising it as Cardiff on Premier Sports  graphics, but as both Millenium and Arms park are being used as part of the Covid hospitals I doubt it will be there.

I have a feeling I heard it would just be the highest ranked teams home ground, so only one team is travelling rather than 2.

8 hours ago, GAD said:

Yeah, I think next season is going to be a bit grim to be honest. Depth and quality across the team is thin, especially at back row and back three, which used to be real strengths. We've not got a single winger or fullback who'll be troubling the national team as far as I can see. When was the last time that happened?

As for youngsters coming through, I'm not really seeing much there either. The squad just looks quite old and done to be honest.

I think Steyn will prove to be a very good winger.

The back three and the backrow are issues though. Flockhart, Gordon, Smith and MacLean really need game time to develop this season. Playing Harley or Bryce is completely pointless at the moment.

The first XV still looks strong though. 

They were advertising it as Cardiff on Premier Sports  graphics, but as both Millenium and Arms park are being used as part of the Covid hospitals I doubt it will be there.
I have a feeling I heard it would just be the highest ranked teams home ground, so only one team is travelling rather than 2.
Where is the Pro 14 final being played?
The final was going to be at the Cardiff City Stadium but they have not announced a new location yet for the final yet

So fucking Leinster again then

Pro14 wont close the door on the SA teams, infact I wouldn't be suprised if once things settle down they make an offer to have all 6 SA teams, with 3 conferences of all 6 (one SA, one Welsh/Scottish and one Irish/Italian) play everyone in your conference H&A then everyone else once for 22 games.

3 hours ago, honestly united said:

Pro14 wont close the door on the SA teams, infact I wouldn't be suprised if once things settle down they make an offer to have all 6 SA teams, with 3 conferences of all 6 (one SA, one Welsh/Scottish and one Irish/Italian) play everyone in your conference H&A then everyone else once for 22 games.

Making multiple trips to SA or having 3 week mini tours probably won't be popular with the IRFU, WRU or SRU.

Letting in a couple of jobber teams for TV money is one thing. Going to play the Stormers or Sharks in South Africa at the business end of the season is a completely different prospect. 

I don't see why the SA teams would want to do it either. They hate the weather, hate astro and hate the refs. They should just have a 10 team domestic comp. 

30 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Making multiple trips to SA or having 3 week mini tours probably won't be popular with the IRFU, WRU or SRU.

Letting in a couple of jobber teams for TV money is one thing. Going to play the Stormers or Sharks in South Africa at the business end of the season is a completely different prospect. 

I don't see why the SA teams would want to do it either. They hate the weather, hate astro and hate the refs. They should just have a 10 team domestic comp. 

You pretty much answered your own question - TV money. Pro 14 got a decent enough wedge when letting in a couple of reserve teams from SA, bringing in the best teams from a country of 60 million will hugely increase the TV income not just from SA, but I think you would have increased global intrest in the Pro14. SA have complained for years that they were bringing in the most money to Super Rugby but due to the timezones were missing out on games - you dont have the same problem with Pro14 as all the games are in the same timezone

Round 15 Match Official Appointments

Friday, August 28

Edinburgh v Glasgow Warriors

BT Murrayfield, Edinburgh - KO 19:35

Referee: Ben Blain (SRU, 6th Championship Appearance)

AR1: Sam Grove-White (SRU) AR2: Graeme Ormiston (SRU)

TMO: Neil Paterson (SRU)

Live on eir Sport 1, Premier Sports 1, DAZN, SuperSport 1, pro14.tv

Saturday, August 29

Dragons v Scarlets

Rodney Parade, Newport - KO 17:15

Referee: Craig Evans (WRU, 10th Championship Appearance)

AR1: Ben Whitehouse (WRU) AR2: Gwyn Morris (WRU)

TMO: Ian Davies (WRU)

Live on eir Sport 1, Premier Sports 1, DAZN, Super Sport 1, pro14.tv

Deferred: 20:00 S4C

Ulster v Leinster

Aviva Stadium, Dublin - KO 19:35

Referee: George Clancy (IRFU, 123rd Championship Appearance:

AR1: Andrew Brace (IRFU) AR2: Eoghan Cros (IRFU)

TMO: Brian MacNeice (IRFU)

Live on eir Sport 1, Premier Sports 1, Super Sport 1, DAZN, pro14.tv

Deferred: 21:35 TG4

Sunday, August 30

Munster v Connacht

Aviva Stadium, Dublin - KO 15:00

Referee: Frank Murphy (IRFU, 34th Championship Appearance)

AR1: Sean Gallagher (IRFU) AR2: Chris Busby (IRFU)

TMO: Olly Hodges (IRFU)

Live on eir Sport 1, Premier Sports 2, DAZN, Super Sport 1, pro14.tv

Deferred: 17:30 TG4

Cardiff Blues v Ospreys

Rodney Parade, Newport - KO 17:00

Referee: Adam Jones (WRU, 2nd Championship Appearance)

AR1: Nigel Owens (WRU) AR2: Dan Jones (WRU)

TMO: Sean Brickell (WRU)

Live on eir Sport 1, Premier Sports 1, DAZN, pro14.tv

Deferred: 21:00 S4C

Zebre v Benetton

Stadio Sergio Lanfranchi, Parma - KO 19:00 (UK), 20:00 (IT)

Referee: Gianluca Gnecchi (FIR, Championship debut)

AR2: Andrea Pairdi (FIR) Federico Vedovelli (FIR)

TMO: Stefano Penne (FIR)

Live on eir Sport 1, Premier Sports 2, DAZN, pro14.tv

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

They should be thrown out and the team in 3rd should play the semi-final.

Can you imagine if Glasgow beat Embra tomorrow then got handed the semi place as Ulster couldn't play, scenes! Cockerill would be raging as hes desperate for Embra to be the top dogs in Scotland