Rugby Union

kiwififer

Im not overly fussed he is leaving, Rennie rates him highly but I always thought he was a bit of a show pony who shied away from the hard work. Was never going to get a game for Scotland so would rather his (probably hefty in comparison to some others) wages are spent on elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Rugby back on TV this weekend with the first games of Super Rugby Aotearoa. Saturday it’s the Highlanders v Chiefs in front of a full house in Dunedin. Sunday might be another full house at Eden Park for the Blues v Hurticanes. Blues now have Bauden Barrett and Dan Carter has signed a short term contract with them. 

Just now, honestly united said:

I think its August or September - im sure the thinking was he would be available for AI's?

Thank Christ, I've seen some arguments that he'd be found out internationally but I think his game's developed and his numbers speak for themselves.

We don't have a lot (any) depth at wing and also don't have anyone in the backline who's a crash ball or has his physicality. Matt Scott is the only centre close to that mould but he must be 6th or 7th in line at this point. Get him in, Graham on the other side. Maitland can stay as long as he's happy to turn up, a reliable squad player. Kinghorn and Hogg the other back three players in the squad. 

Need to start bringing through more players in those positions though as there's a big drop off after those 5. Seemingly some talent in the 20s though.

Kebble qualifies this year too I see. Goes to show how quickly things can change where before the six nations loosehead was a big problem position and now there's two options you'd be more than happy with.

van der Merwe played his 1st game for Edinburgh in November 2017 but signed in the summer so might be qualified already. van der Walt also played his 1st game in November 2017 but did not join until November. 

Kebble played his 1st game for Glasgow in September 2017 so depends on when he arrived in Glasgow when he can play (same as van der Walt depends when he finished in South Africa). 

Also Pierre Schoeman should be qualified next summer 

Van der Merwe looks brilliant ball in hand, but I haven't seen enough of Edinburgh to know whether he is international class defensively or not. No point in having someone scoring tries for fun,but also leaking them at the same rate.

Kebble and Schoeman are welcome additions but I dont think they are the game changers up front that people were hoping for when they originally signed. Definately add depth though which is always good. Also Van der walt will be a useful 3rd choice at 10 also

On 11/06/2020 at 11:12, honestly united said:

Van der Merwe looks brilliant ball in hand, but I haven't seen enough of Edinburgh to know whether he is international class defensively or not. No point in having someone scoring tries for fun,but also leaking them at the same rate.

Kebble and Schoeman are welcome additions but I dont think they are the game changers up front that people were hoping for when they originally signed. Definately add depth though which is always good. Also Van der walt will be a useful 3rd choice at 10 also

Yeah, I'm not sure about this idea that he just comes in and takes Maitland's spot tbh. Maitland is probably a better all round player. VDM is a different type of player than what we've had for a while though. I can't remember the last time we had a big, quick, George North type option in the backline, I'm quite excited to see how he does.

Watching the Scotland Wales game from 2017 on the SRU facebook at the moment.

3 years on and I'm still utterly seething at Eddie Butler spending the whole game calling Tommy Seymour the wrong name. Usually something between "Tommy Boyd" and "Tommy Bowe"

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

Watching the Scotland Wales game from 2017 on the SRU facebook at the moment.

3 years on and I'm still utterly seething at Eddie Butler spending the whole game calling Tommy Seymour the wrong name. Usually something between "Tommy Boyd" and "Tommy Bowe"

I was at that game and behaved appallingly towards the Welsh guy sitting in front of me, who basically ended up paying the price for every w****r Wales fan I'd sat next to in the years previous.

1 minute ago, GAD said:

I was at that game and behaved appallingly towards the Welsh guy sitting in front of me, who basically ended up paying the price for every w****r Wales fan I'd sat next to in the years previous.

When it comes to rugby, I have never met a Welshman who wasn't an arrogant w****r.

Highlanders-Chiefs was great. Amazing how much of a difference a proper crowd makes when you compare to the NRL stuff over the last few weeks.

If they ever start enforcing the breakdown laws in the NH the way they did today, Wales and Ireland are fucked.