Rugby Union

kiwififer

I think there is a case for Metcalfe being the best full back we ever had

I’d make a case for Hogg, but Metcalfe was the forerunner to the explosive fullback that every decent team has now. Hastings was much more of a power back with a metronomic kick, which had been the stock fullback up until then.

5 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I’d make a case for Hogg, but Metcalfe was the forerunner to the explosive fullback that every decent team has now. Hastings was much more of a power back with a metronomic kick, which had been the stock fullback up until then.

Andy Irvine was in the explosive mould, check out some of his stuff on YouTube. I’m old enough to remember the tail end of his career. Probably some similarity with Hogg, absolutely sensational with the odd monumental f**k up thrown in.

Irvine and Hastings were Lions, the latter obviously being the captain in 93, which probably gives some idea of their relative standing to their peers.

I’d agree that Metcalfe was under-rated, his performance v France in 99 was something else.

Andy Irvine was in the explosive mould, check out some of his stuff on YouTube. I’m old enough to remember the tail end of his career. Probably some similarity with Hogg, absolutely sensational with the odd monumental f**k up thrown in.
Irvine and Hastings were Lions, the latter obviously being the captain in 93, which probably gives some idea of their relative standing to their peers.
I’d agree that Metcalfe was under-rated, his performance v France in 99 was something else.

That 99 side was something else. The talent in the backs was frightening.

That try features some underrated players. Grimey, as he liked to be called, Tait and Metcalfe were terrific.
Tait was superb when he switched back from league, his tackling was phenomenal. He was outstanding on the 97 Lions tour. That starting back line was decent....

Dawson
Townsend
Tait
Guscott
Gibbs
Evans (Bentley in the second test)
Jenkins

3 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Tait was superb when he switched back from league, his tackling was phenomenal. He was outstanding on the 97 Lions tour. That starting back line was decent....

Dawson
Townsend
Tait
Guscott
Gibbs
Evans (Bentley in the second test)
Jenkins

My old man maintains that if Tait had stayed in Union, Scott Hastings would have been a footnote

My old man maintains that if Tait had stayed in Union, Scott Hastings would have been a footnote
I'd be inclined to agree, Tait was a better player, but part of that was down to playing league and coming back into union a much more physical player and having a much stronger defensive side to his game.

I'd be inclined to agree, Tait was a better player, but part of that was down to playing league and coming back into union a much more physical player and having a much stronger defensive side to his game.

Also playing outside John Leslie made him look even better. Leslie might be one of my favourite players ever. Never flustered, and an absolute gift for seeing a pass.

Edit: though that ignores him playing spectacularly well on the wing for the Lions.

3 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
19 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Not sure I agree. Hastings broke through in 86, Tait came after. Hastings in 86 was a very different player to what he became, he was strong, fast and elusive. He probably would have been a Lions starter in 89 (on the wing as Mullin was at 13 I think) but for a broken cheek. He subsequently bulked up and lost that side of his game, but was a phenomenal defender.

I remember being a bit underwhelmed by Tait in his first stint, (we had a really shite 1988 5N when he came through) but when he came back his game knowledge and attacking lines which he took from league made him one of our best ever 13s.  

I was lucky enough to witness it the 84, 86 and 90 Murrayfield games in person.

Not sure I agree. Hastings broke through in 86, Tait came after. Hastings in 86 was a very different player to what he became, he was strong, fast and elusive. He probably would have been a Lions starter in 89 (on the wing as Mullin was at 13 I think) but for a broken cheek. He subsequently bulked up and lost that side of his game, but was a phenomenal defender.
I remember being a bit underwhelmed by Tait in his first stint, (we had a really shite 1988 5N when he came through) but when he came back his game knowledge and attacking lines which he took from league made him one of our best ever 13s.  

I was lucky enough to witness it the 84, 86 and 90 Murrayfield games in person.
Yeah, Scott Hastings and Tait were BOTH top rugby players.

We had some truly world class players at the end of the amateur era, we just weren't prepared for / make a complete mess of turning professional. I think we are slowly catching up but i think we have some way to go.

In other news it looks like Frisby and Halanukonuka have played there last game for Glasgow. The big prop was decent, but not outstanding, Frisby though, having played for Australia and to come in from a top 14 club I was expecting so much more. Dropped during the WC for 17 year old kinda says it all.

Frisby and Halanukonuka to exit Glasgow

Edinburgh will be losing some players at he end of the season with Matt Scott, joining Leicester with John Barclay, Dougie Fife, Simon Hickey, Cammy Fenton, Stan South, Sam Thomson, Jason Baggott and Pietro Ceccarelli are all departing

Watched Scotland's last match vs France at home. We were clicking in defence and the scrum before Covid19 hit. Some might say their red card helped but if their prop wants to throw a punch and give the ref no option that's not Scotland's issue. Before that they got a yellow for the tip tackle on Gilchrist that could've been red too.

Glasgow losing DTH van der Merwe, Nick Frisby and and Siua Halanukanuka. Not a surprise. Nick Frisby never "happened" and 9 has depth and young competition with Ali Price and George Horne becoming legendary (especially Horne) and Jamie Dobie coming through too.

Siua is solid and a good scrummager but was injured far too often.

DTH wasn't the same in his 2nd spell. He was 3 years older and lost a couple of yards of pace and he seemed to court injury too. A legendary player though. All the best to them all.

Yeah, DTH is a legend and it's a shame he didn't get a bit more of a send off. I suppose you could say the same about Gray, but you'd probably expect him to be back at some point.

Frisby just never got going and I'm not sure he was particularly happy here either, so probably for the best. I didn't really rate Halanukonuka to be honest. I thought he was a penalty machine and a yellow card in waiting most of the time.