Rugby Union

kiwififer

Rennie might not be Australia bound after all.

Castle will go, she should have gone a long time ago. Some talk of Phil Kearns as a replacement but looks like RA is boracic. https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wallabies/australian-rugby-news-raelene-castle-dave-rennie-phil-kearns/news-story/184954f74e62fab4cfb19188ce85621e

4 hours ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

Imagine the cranial detachments from certain posters in here if he ended up staying at Glasgow. Even more so if he took over from Townsend as Scotland coach as someone in the comments suggested.

This could snooker the move. As much as I'd like him to stay at Glasgow, he's still off. His wife is missing family back home.

1 hour ago, gogsy said:

SRU wage cuts to players and 75% of other staff to be furloughed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52269053

If I am reading that article correctly there are 157 players getting paid £50000 a year. :unsure2:

I read it as there are 157 contracted players, and only those earning above 50,000 would be taking a pay cut. 

More worrying the mention players earning more than £200k, how many of those do you think we have?

I'd imagine a few players in the Glasgow squad will be on bigger contracts. Especially those who've recently signed new deals, like Price, Horne jr etc then you'd imagine Huw Jones, Callum Gibbins and Oli Kebble all coming in on a decent wedge. 

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Why would Hickey be on that amount?

He was signed from Bordeaux, where he was playing pretty regularly, to be first choice 10. Edinburgh fans have been naming their all time XVs recently and most have Paterson at 10, even though he played most of his rugby elsewhere so when they were on the rise were probably desperate to finally sign a good one. Hickey had a decent pedigree but would've been well paid at Bordeaux so they obviously thought he was worth pushing the boat out to get. He's not justified that wage but he's been pretty good this season and if van der Walt hadn't improved dramitically last season Hickey would've been given more time to prove himself.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52262176

Pichot going for the top job at World Rugby, this could see the biggest shake up in the game as he is firmly on the side of the tier 2 nations and growing hte game, rather than bending over to ensure the top nations stay there and keep all the money in the game to themselves

It's 30 years since Randwick came to Melrose and won the 100th Melrose 7s.

I was there, the first time we had gone as a family, although my old man had been a few times when he was younger. It was absolutely brilliant.

https://www.scottishrugby.org/fanzone/campese-lights-up-the-greenyards-30-years-on

On 14/04/2020 at 09:20, honestly united said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52262176

Pichot going for the top job at World Rugby, this could see the biggest shake up in the game as he is firmly on the side of the tier 2 nations and growing hte game, rather than bending over to ensure the top nations stay there and keep all the money in the game to themselves

My take on Pichot is that his focus is on allowing Arg, Oz and NZ to tap into NH TV money with a global competition. It's nothing to do with Tier 2.

International cricket with it's neverending schedule is their model. They want international teams to be full time. 

Edited by Detournement

This Friday’s replay on Scottish Rugby TV is Will Carling et al being sent homeward tae think again. 
Can’t wait tbh
Gary Armstrong really was world class, the amount of tackles he put in against England was astounding. Difference against England was Chalmers knocking most of his kicks over, while England missed more than they scored.

49 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
On 16/04/2020 at 14:15, Mark Connolly said:
This Friday’s replay on Scottish Rugby TV is Will Carling et al being sent homeward tae think again. 
Can’t wait tbh

Gary Armstrong really was world class, the amount of tackles he put in against England was astounding. Difference against England was Chalmers knocking most of his kicks over, while England missed more than they scored.

Armstrong and Chalmers were both in their early 20s as well, amazing maturity from both of them throughout that season.

My old man always said the point he knew we were going to win was when we got the free kick at a scrum at 0-0 and Armstrong took it quickly. He gave it to Calder, who smashed into about 3 or 4 of the English pack, including Skinner and Teague, who were hard as f**k. He was stopped, but then the rest of our forwards  arrived and drove him about another 15 yards.

Watching that game back, the main difference in the way Scotland play is just that total brutality at the breakdown. It's frustrating to think that the thing we are lacking now is the one thing that always used to set us apart.

Armstrong and Chalmers were both in their early 20s as well, amazing maturity from both of them throughout that season.
My old man always said the point he knew we were going to win was when we got the free kick at a scrum at 0-0 and Armstrong took it quickly. He gave it to Calder, who smashed into about 3 or 4 of the English pack, including Skinner and Teague, who were hard as f**k. He was stopped, but then the rest of our forwards  arrived and drove him about another 15 yards.
Watching that game back, the main difference in the way Scotland play is just that total brutality at the breakdown. It's frustrating to think that the thing we are lacking now is the one thing that always used to set us apart.
The breakdown was the first thing that caught my eye too, we matched everybody physically then, sadly we don't often enough now.

I remember feeling exactly the same thing.

That was one of several standout moments. My other favourites include when Carling got tackled near our line and is driven back a good number of yard and Scott Hastings tackle on an escaping Rory Underwood.

How uncomfortable and unprepared for a Scottish win was Nigel Starmer-Smith in his dressing room interview with the victors?

That team was full of talented, hard winners. Eight British Lions, at the time.

Gary Armstrong really was world class, the amount of tackles he put in against England was astounding.

My favourite ever rugby player. Much stronger than his size, as hard as nails and did the work of three men.

My favourite ever rugby player. Much stronger than his size, as hard as nails and did the work of three men.
I think the fact that when Rob Andrew had pretty much free reign to pick any scrum half he wanted to play at Newcastle, and he picked Armstrong, tells you everything you need to know about how good he was.