Rugby Union

kiwififer

6 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

A team gets a Bonus Point for scoring 4 tries (win lose or draw). 

The losing side also gets a Bonus point if it is within 7 points of the winning side.

Scotland win, with neither team securing a bonus point = Scotland through

Scotland win, with only Japan securing a bonus point = Scotland out

Scotland win, with both teams securing a bonus point = Scotland through

Scotland win and pick up a bonus point, with Japan picking up two losing bonus points = Scotland out

Japan win or draw = Scotland out

Thanks for this. I was finding it hard to work out. 

And now we get pumped by 20 points.

In all seriousness though, the main thing in this has been ensuring safety and people have died. That’s tragic and it’s fucking ridiculous that World Rugby contrived to detract from the focus which should have been entirely on public safety when all they had to do the second forecasts were reliable enough to say with certainty what areas would be affected - more than three days ago - was to say that no game would take place in those areas and they would immediately begin discussions with all teams about moving the games elsewhere, with the venues and dates to be confirmed. If they later had to cancel them through lack of suitable venues after all options had been exhausted then that’s another thing, but getting everyone out of danger should have been the immediate priority.

Instead they created a sideshow through rampant incompetence, which actually involved players, staff and fans in their thousands alike travelling towards the areas affected by the worst typhoon in decades and putting more people in danger, all for clinging to their precious rulebook, which contained genius contingencies such as Tokyo and Yokohama being the back up option for each other. They simultaneously turned the tournament into a farce and far more significantly detracted from the obviously massively more important issue of public safety.

The SPFL’s stewardship of the Tunnock’s Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup is a model of professionalism and competence compared to World Rugby’s handling of the biggest tournament in their sport.

Guest Bob Mahelp
56 minutes ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

The outcry of hatred towards us over here in New Zealand is something else. They want us to get pumped. I feel that they will get their wish.

Everybody in world rugby apart from us is desperate to see Japan win.

f**k New Zealand. They won't be happy unless they get a bye to the final, then be allowed to play a 13 man Namibia with Glenn Jackson refereeing.

6 hours ago, sjc said:

Have a bit of perspective guys, very early reports say 4 dead, 17 missing and hundreds injured. The typhoon has affected over a dozen Prefectures, with one region having 16 of its rivers flooded. Add to that, the structural damage with bridges, buildings and electricity down it's a testament to the Japanese people that the game hasn't been cancelled already.

Literally nobody is saying anything different.

The argument is, if it wasnt capable of being played today, the game shouldve been moved or delayed and not just voided without even attempting to get it on, that's the complaint.

I suspect World rugby might use this as an argument for their rejigged yearly schedule that was voted down a while back.

I can see the benefit of their proposals, particularly for the tier 2 Nations but it does risk completely ruining the 6 Nations.

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Literally nobody is saying anything different.

The argument is, if it wasnt capable of being played today, the game shouldve been moved or delayed and not just voided without even attempting to get it on, that's the complaint.

Sport is littered with these kinds of rule anomalies, from the Italians beating the USSR in the Euro68 SF by the toss of a coin to manipulation of the substitute rule in cricket in order to keep bowlers fresh, to boxing scorecards.

Granted, World rugby made the error of having the tournament here in typhoon season but would have been criticised for having it anytime between December and April (when the weather is more suitable), for ruining the 6 Nations or Club season.

Moving the games is easier said than done as most of the venue's have been affected by the typhoon. Not to mention that the infrastructure has taken a battering.

The outcry of hatred towards us over here in New Zealand is something else. They want us to get pumped. I feel that they will get their wish.
Everybody in world rugby apart from us is desperate to see Japan win.
f**k New Zealand. They won't be happy unless they get a bye to the final, then be allowed to play a 13 man Namibia with Glenn Jackson refereeing.
I have to echo these sentiments. When I visited NZ, I was so taken by their sense of smug entitlement that I genuinely wanted England to beat them on their tour that was happening. And I usually want England to lose at everything (yes I am bitter, petty and small minded)

I’m genuinely at a loss as to how we’re the villain here. People could perhaps see Dodson’s comments as insensitive, and I fully expected the worldwide audience to be supporting Japan anyway even without there having been any threat to the game taking place, but this is so clearly an open and shut case of World Rugby and no one else being in the wrong.

Having such a back and forth over whether the game will be on isn’t the SRU’s fault, it’s World Rugby. The focus being distracted from public safety isn’t Scotland’s doing, it’s World Rugby. Italy being kicked out of the tournament days before they were meant to play while the Scotland game was given until hours before kick off to give it every chance wasn’t due to Scotland demanding favourable treatment, it was due to World Rugby giving favourable treatment to New Zealand as a matter of policy.

12 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The hypocrisy from England and New Zealand fans is a joke - they'd be the first to moan if their game had been threatened and it meant they were going to be put out.

This.   And the organisers would have swiftly found alternative arrangements to get their games played "for the good of the tournament".   Scotland, on the other hand, aren't box-office enough for them. 

1 hour ago, sjc said:

Sport is littered with these kinds of rule anomalies, from the Italians beating the USSR in the Euro68 SF by the toss of a coin to manipulation of the substitute rule in cricket in order to keep bowlers fresh, to boxing scorecards.

Granted, World rugby made the error of having the tournament here in typhoon season but would have been criticised for having it anytime between December and April (when the weather is more suitable), for ruining the 6 Nations or Club season.

Moving the games is easier said than done as most of the venue's have been affected by the typhoon. Not to mention that the infrastructure has taken a battering.

There will be games going ahead next weekend regardless. You seem to be absolutely desperate to make it clear you're in Japan and how terrible it all is, and how great the people are there.

Frankly its nothing to do with this. Our game was scheduled today, if its cancelled it's a week until the next game, I doubt any "infrastructure" that's taken a battering will be down for more than a day or two, so theres no reason they couldnt have delayed cancelled games until Tuesday, even if it means moving it to other parts of the country where the storm hit earlier.

This is the issue. This is the complaint.