Rugby Union

kiwififer

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

I'd be tempted to go with a Bradbury, Ritchie and Thomson back row. With Wilson on the bench. 

Not taking Jones or Hutchinson looks crazy now. We need a third threat at 13.

Agree with that. I'd have Cummings in for Gilchrist at Second row as well, and I'd probably pick Graham over Seymour right now too.

I think I'd consider Price over Laidlaw right now too.

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It was like the 15 players had never played with each other before - so much was done in just ones and twos - they looked utterly clueless for the bulk of that game.

It was hard to see exactly what the plan was, other than to repeatedly kick the ball back to Ireland.

We've bounced back from results like this before, and we always know Wales and Ireland are shit games for us, but today was worrying. If we can come back and play well against Samoa things might look a bit brighter.

It was hard to see exactly what the plan was, other than to repeatedly kick the ball back to Ireland.
We've bounced back from results like this before, and we always know Wales and Ireland are shit games for us, but today was worrying. If we can come back and play well against Samoa things might look a bit brighter.
One thing for certain, and it's not something we didn't already know before today, we can't just rumble through the phases like Ireland did. If we can't throw the ball around and get the back 3 into space, we are pretty much fucked. Samoa will be a big physical test, hopefully the conditions are more favourable, but first up we need to stop kicking possession away.

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

Aye we won't play another game like that unless we get to the final (lol).

I don't the kicking was that bad. You basically don't have any other option if you don't get over the gain line. The fact that we are back to square one after three years of preparation is disappointing.

I know what you mean, but I actually thought on the rare occasion we went through a couple of phases and got bodies to the break down we were getting over the gain line. Things started to go wrong when we stopped doing that. I think we were scared of Ireland's breakdown when we probably didn't need to be and a bit more patience would have seen better results. Easy to say in hindsight I suppose, but we just seems far too eager to go wide or kick in behind instead of trying to build something.

One thing for certain, and it's not something we didn't already know before today, we can't just rumble through the phases like Ireland did. If we can't throw the ball around and get the back 3 into space, we are pretty much fucked. Samoa will be a big physical test, hopefully the conditions are more favourable, but first up we need to stop kicking possession away.
You still need to build decent possession before you can throw it about - we were trying to throw it about from bad possession which is crazy.

They need to get the basics right and pick the right time to go expansive.

We weren't even doing the simple things right which is the real worry.

Appreciate I put pessimistic comments on forum, but I prefer to call them realistic. Just look at the facts. We've never beaten a tier one nation at world cup since 1991. Exception of Oz, (and Italy) away from Scotland we haven't beat tier one since 2010 I think (Croke Park). Ireland players go onto pitch 100% sure they will beat us which is so powerful in modern day rugby. Consistently we are getting swatted aside to easily by physical sides who relish phase play..

As I say we aren't very good..