Rugby Union

kiwififer

40 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

He once punched my old man during a game, but bought him a pint afterwards when he realised it was a case of mistaken identity.

If I saw that sentence in isolation I'd have guessed "Rugby".  :lol:

Disappointing result for Glasgow aside, what a great weekend for Scottish rugby. Both pro sides are going strong and blooding young players for pretty much the first time.

The u20s are nowhere near as strong experience wise as the teams of the last 4 years and it showed in the first two games. But what a result last night. I watched the scorer of both tries last night playing in the 2nd tier for Accies last month and when I saw there were so many u20 squad members not playing regular Premiership rugby I was worried. But this is a young team and a friend in the know said to me that Nat 1 is of a similar standard now to what the Premiership was 5 years ago which suggests club standards are improving. I was skeptical about the Super 6 but the clubs seem behind it so could be worth a try.

The main team are on the rise. Unless he adds proper consistency to his game we'll always be capable of having a stinker but Finn playing well really has made the difference for us and when he's at his best we really are right up there. This is a team I think we can all really get behind and I think under Toony we can do something special. There will be blips but I think this a really exciting time for Scottish rugby. Wish I could say the same about the fitba.

48 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

not long back from the game. What a result and performance

reading the English fans comments on Facebook 

large.jpg

Aye, seems it was all Nigel's fault despite the post match analysis showing the two decisions that chalked off England tries were spot on.

I don`t watch a lot of rugby but that was really special today.

Vaguely aware that that today`s ref gets a fair bit of abuse but he was first class.

As long as he doesn't decide to put on a performance for TV, and just gets on with refereeing he is comfortably the best ref in the game.

45 minutes ago, Northsea80 said:

The English fans to my righg moaned like fck about our Nigel today. He’s a good lad and I won’t hear a word said against him.

Will Greenwood is having a right go at them on twitter.

And they say we like to moan about refs!

ETA: Greenwood is having a go at the moany fans, not the officials. As are most English pundits tbf.

Edited by Mark Connolly

Fantastic win for Scotland.

Don't watch rugby that often, so i wasn't sure with the rules half the time(they were in Scotland's favour most of the time, so I'm 100% sure they were right :))

Has Jamie Bhatti been a regular starter? (was in same year as him at school, hadn't realised he was getting a game for Scotland)

Can confirm that not only am I annoyed Scotland didn't get the 4th try for the BP, I'm annoyed that it cost me my "Over 4 tries in both games" bet that I actually thought was "4 or more tries in both games".

Typical Scotland, glorious failure.

GIRFUY England.

Just finished reading through this. Emotional stuff guys. What a result, just glorious. I fucking love rugby. If anyone wants a laugh, go look at the player ratings on the guardian. Highest rated player for Scotland is Finn Russell with an 8. Two try Huw Jones and turnover king John Barclay? 7/10. You can tell the boy is hurting.

Also, fans of pompous Englishmen getting it badly wrong can also give Alex Corbiserio's scrumdown podcast from last week a wee listen. Delicious, looking forward to this weeks.

Having listened to the game on the radio on the way back from Dumfries tonight, I watched the replay on the BBC iPlayer. Good performance, but how Barclay didn't get man of the match is beyond me. Finn was good and laid to rest a few ghosts from the Wales game but the forwards give you the platform and the captain, ably assisted by the best wee man in world rugby Hamish Watson, was superb. Great lines again by Huw Jones - I think I said 2 weeks ago that he reminds me of Alan Tait with his angles but to add the strength and pace to that is a frightening prospect. It was interesting to watch it having heard the radio commentary though - for all Peter Wright's moans at refereeing, he knows his stuff. He called the first disallowed try before Owens had said it with the same words about not supporting his own weight and had mentioned a possible knock on or forward pass before the second try which went unchecked and it did look like Laidlaw may have brushed it forwards after McInally's break. Another thing I spotted was someone - presumably Paul O'Connell given the seating arrangements in the studio - standing and applauding a Stuart Hogg touchfinder in the second half. Shades of when Johnathan Davies and Keith Wood celebrated Scotland beating England 10 years ago.

As they highlighted at half time, Jones picks lines that have him already halfway through the gap when he receives the pass. Thought Watson was superb as ever and McInally had his best game yet imo.

It must have been a great performance, even Tom English managed to write a positive report.

Fantastic win for Scotland.
Don't watch rugby that often, so i wasn't sure with the rules half the time(they were in Scotland's favour most of the time, so I'm 100% sure they were right [emoji4])
Has Jamie Bhatti been a regular starter? (was in same year as him at school, hadn't realised he was getting a game for Scotland)
He is 3rd/4th choice for Scotland