Rugby Union

kiwififer

Quick question: I'm aware that in Rugby League the flag isn't an extension of the touchline, but I thought that was the case in Union? If that's the case then why was the TMO concentrating on the grounding but never mentioned that the player was through the post before he got the ball down?

Quick question: I'm aware that in Rugby League the flag isn't an extension of the touchline, but I thought that was the case in Union? If that's the case then why was the TMO concentrating on the grounding but never mentioned that the player was through the post before he got the ball down?

Doesn't matter about flag in union. As long as no part of his body touches touch line or over b4 ball is grounded

4 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Doesn't matter about flag in union. As long as no part of his body touches line or over b4 ball is grounded

Thanks. Is that a relatively new rule change? Or am I a doddery old c**t? 

Those two options aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Not sure what your point is about fixtures. In the last year they have played 4 tier 1 nations. Us, Wales , France and NZ and lost them all.
They have also lost to Tonga, Fiji and Georgia.
I don't know why you are trying to argue, it's absolutely indisputable that this is the one of the worst periods in Samoan rugby and they are at their lowest world ranking for decades.
Half the guys in your list wouldn't be in a starting XV.
If you are happy with that performance then fair enough but Scotland likely won't play a team that poor again until the world cup.

We will play a worse side in 6n namely Italy. At no point after second half did I say I was happy with our performance. It's nowhere near the worst period in Samoan rugby...not even close. As for rankings no one with a passing knowledge of rugby believes that Samoan side would lose to Romania. My point was quite simply that they aren't a gang as you claimed. They are a competent physical rugby team that at full strength we would have no divine right to roll over. If wales or Ireland were missing the number n quality of players we were then both would be happy at a win over Samoa. If their players were as poor as you say why are so many playing in super rugby pro 14 France n England?? Every player I mentioned that's missing has been recently a starter for us. Not in any way claiming Samoa are world beaters but bit of perspective is required. Six years ago we were a bawhair from losing to Romania n Georgia at rwc....the coach prev to toony couldn't get us higher than 4th in 6n n led us to our worst ever defeat to England n managed zero wins v England nz oz n sa. We have no divine right to roll over Samoa. Yet we beat them with half a side missing by a bigger margin than we did in last rwc....and we still know we can play much better. Its far from perfect but we have been in far far worse places.

Even before we emptied the bench the defense was terrible round the fringes. I don't know if it was a strategy to have more players out wide but we were leaving huge gaps and if so the same Vs Oz and NZ we will get hammered.
Although it was a different story in attack which was amazing.
As had been said this is the worst samoan side in many a year, the are bottom of the table in the PI WC qualifiers and lost last year to Georgia.

I love overreaction from rugby fans, especially in victory!

We were good in attack, poor in defense, and we won in front of a sold-out MF against a team we always struggle to put away. I'd far rather we had issues in yesterday's game and had real stuff to work on before the next 2 than we had an easy run-out. Samoa, despite their ranking, are no mugs. It was closer than it should have been, but we got the job done.

Taylor will get ripped into them for their defence, Toony will have a few tricks up his sleeve, and we'll have a right go against NZ and Oz.

I think what I'm most disappointed about is the game was just so harum scarum.

We didn't seem to have plan to control and manage the game. I also thought we would attack more with ball in hand.

A couple of tries from mauls were pleasing 

I'm basically 100% in agreement with Tom English here.