Rugby Union

kiwififer

Hogg world class :lol: Aye all the top sides are battering his door down.

He can run fast, he is defensively terrible.

Maybe part of the reason Welsh players dont do so well in the pro 12 is their very best players dont play in a third rate contest like the pro 12.

From yesterday's back line North plays for northampton, james is at exeter, roberts has just moved to Quins from Racing and johnathon davies is too busy doing nothing in the champions cup with clermont except getting to the final.

Hogg will be nowhere near a Lions Test XV next year and Bennet and Seymour would be lucky to make the 30.

Scotland have got decent backs that are more than a match for any of the 6 Nations teams, I remember Russell, Dunbar and Bennett playing for Glasgow last season ripping apart the Bath backs of Ford, Eastwood and Joseph who were all in the England Squad at the time. Bennett was on the shortlist for World break through player of the year last year. The problem they have is that the backs dont get quick enough ball to work with

Scotland have got decent backs that are more than a match for any of the 6 Nations teams, I remember Russell, Dunbar and Bennett playing for Glasgow last season ripping apart the Bath backs of Ford, Eastwood and Joseph who were all in the England Squad at the time. Bennett was on the shortlist for World break through player of the year last year. The problem they have is that the backs dont get quick enough ball to work with

Laidlaw is the issue. Takes too long too many steps back. Slows ball right down

Are you saying Stuart Hogg is better than Leigh Halfpenny?

Anyway, although Italy have done what we've seen them do a million times and crumbled in the second half having competed well in the first, they've shown enough for us to be very worried. I can't see us winning a game this tournament.

He is. Apart from goal kicking Halfpenny doesn't offer that much. The general consensus amongst Wales fans seems to be that they are happier with Liam Williams in the team at full back.

The idea that Scotland's outside backs are second rate is absolute nonsense. The back 3 yesterday are better than their Irish and Welsh counterparts on current form (North's try aside, he has been honking for ages).

Denton has been absolutely anonymous for the past 2 games, hopefully Adam Ashe is fit for Rome or give Strauss a chance.

He is. Apart from goal kicking Halfpenny doesn't offer that much. The general consensus amongst Wales fans seems to be that they are happier with Liam Williams in the team at full back.

The idea that Scotland's outside backs are second rate is absolute nonsense. The back 3 yesterday are better than their Irish and Welsh counterparts on current form (North's try aside, he has been honking for ages).

Denton has been absolutely anonymous for the past 2 games, hopefully Adam Ashe is fit for Rome or give Strauss a chance.

This is exactly what I've been saying. We do have very good backs. Hogg would waltz into all six nations teams. Perhaps not always as full back but he would be accommodated. The team have no confidence or belief. It's a shame as they are the best crop of players for a long time.

Leigh Halfpenny who plays for the French and European champions with 508 international points and has played on 2 lions tours doesn't offer much other than goal kicking? From a pure entertainment point of view I probably would rather watch Liam Williams but I think that's incredibly harsh on halfpenny.

Even if the Welsh backs are not on as good form as the Scots (I don't agree) that wouldn't negate the point that guys like North have another gear they can go to when necessary that we dont have.

Out of interest what would people's Lions XV be for a test v new Zealand tomorrow?

Leigh Halfpenny who plays for the French and European champions with 508 international points and has played on 2 lions tours doesn't offer much other than goal kicking? From a pure entertainment point of view I probably would rather watch Liam Williams but I think that's incredibly harsh on halfpenny.

Even if the Welsh backs are not on as good form as the Scots (I don't agree) that wouldn't negate the point that guys like North have another gear they can go to when necessary that we dont have.

Out of interest what would people's Lions XV be for a test v new Zealand tomorrow?

Pack of Healy, Hartley, Nel, Jones, J Gray, Warburton, O'Brien, Falateu. Backs much harder to choose from in my opinion and will probably depend on who is coaching.

Scrappy win against Italy and a home win against an awful french team should buy cotter some time

I think it's pretty obvious Scotland have improved, no matter how frustrating that makes losses. We are playing better rugby than we have in a while. I don't think binning Cotter will achieve anything.

I think it's pretty obvious Scotland have improved, no matter how frustrating that makes losses. We are playing better rugby than we have in a while. I don't think binning Cotter will achieve anything.

This. He's also just getting his own coaches in place now. By contrast, the results in the corresponding fixtures 2 years ago were 20-0 vs England and 51-3 vs Wales.

Laidlaw is the issue. Takes too long too many steps back. Slows ball right down

I agree when he plays the ball quickly we cause most teams problems. But he slows the game down or goes for a drop kick to no ware and kills any chance we have with the ball.

I agree when he plays the ball quickly we cause most teams problems. But he slows the game down or goes for a drop kick to no ware and kills any chance we have with the ball.

I would get rid of Laidlaw as well, only problem is Hidalgo-Clyne didn't do himself any favours on Saturday with his performance when he came on and Pyrgos is injured.

Also got to agree that Denton brings nothing to the team. Every other country has a big ball carrying number 8 that is always involved and makes yards, yet Denton is anonymous most games, yet seems to get bigged up by the commentators on the odd occasion he gets the ball. Dont think we really have any options at 8, Strauss is a bit to small for 8 at International level (good blind side option though)and I dont rate Taylor, and Beattie isn't the sort of player we need. Dont know if moving Johnny Gray back to 8 would be option, although he might be a bit to slow.

I would also like to see Harley back in the squad, as he would add a bit more physicallity to the back row but again he has been out injured for a while.

If Scotland get beat by that dreadful Italy team cotter should walk

Aye it is exactly what Scotland need. A total reboot, again. Scotland have played 82 Six Nation matches and won just 19 of them. Bringing in a new coach hasn't worked the other half dozen or so times. It won't work if we try it again

Aye it is exactly what Scotland need. A total reboot, again. Scotland have played 82 Six Nation matches and won just 19 of them. Bringing in a new coach hasn't worked the other half dozen or so times. It won't work if we try it again

Right. They could always bring back Frank Hadden.

The coach is the least of that team's problems.

Anyone who can't see development in that team clearly isn't watching carefully enough. They actually had an excellent World Cup, lest we forget.

Edit: the inevitable direction in which they are heading if they keep sacking coaches is that our rugby team follows the women's team and gets hammered by Belgium. Things are going to get an awful lot worse than this. I'd let Cotter have free reign over every level of rugby, frankly.

Edited by Savage Henry

Seemingly Naiyaravoro is off back to Australia at the end of the season, disappointing but always thought it would happen. With him and a few others going (Weir & Nakarawa as a start) hopefully there is money to bring in a few replacements oh a decent standard.

Also does anyone know what is happening with Blair, he was ruled out with concussion after the 2nd Scarlets games in Europe before Christmas, and is still listed as out with concussion 2 months later?

Still not herd anything about Nakarawa on any official channels. Its disappointing but nor surprise regarding Naiyarovoro. It's been like a circus regarding this guy.

On the latest episode of Warriors TV (released yesterday) Toony said that priority was to get the current squad on new deals, then bringing some fresh faces to strengthen. Due o the world cup disrupting things from the start, then the pitch issues not helping, I reckon we write this off then look to next season imo...

Edited by come on shire