Rugby Union

kiwififer

ouch. Not looking forward to work later today :(

Saying that, what the hell happened to England last night? 24-12 at ht, the beeb's message board was full of gloating posters, then the second half happened...

They were killing themselves at that at work when I said that it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch :lol:

Hadden is a bad 'un and has to go. Actually I think the SRU might go out of business soon enough, our national team is awful and I can't see anyone turning up for the 6 Nations.

In all fairness here.

1. I don't think Hadden has anything to do with the Scottish Rugby League side.

2. The same probably goes for the SRU

Saying that, what the hell happened to England last night? 24-12 at ht, the beeb's message board was full of gloating posters, then the second half happened...

They were killing themselves at that at work when I said that it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch :lol:

I bet they were :lol:

As for the Scotland vs Tonga match, Scotland seriously dont have a defence. I lost count how many times a Tongan just waltzed through as if nobody was there, disappointed.

:D

I shall be watching Ireland v. Fiji tomorrow morning at work. There shall be cider waiting in my desk if we win. I'd love it if we get to the semis but, who cares, we have the craic anyway. And we're not bad either !

:P

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/7706292.stm

Scotland: Paterson (Edinburgh); Evans (Glasgow Warriors), Cairns (Edinburgh), De Luca (Edinburgh), S Lamont (Northampton); Godman (Edinburgh), Blair (Edinburgh, capt); Jacobsen (Edinburgh), Ford (Edinburgh), E Murray (Northampton), Hines (Perpignan), Hamilton (Edinburgh), White (Sale), Taylor (Stade Francais), Barclay (Glasgow Warriors)

I would say that is close to a full strength Scotland apart from the obvious candidate - Godman. I would say NZ are fielding a 2XV with the likes of MacKintosh, Messam and Read. Rokocoko just had to get back from injury for this game <_<

There is no point in having a back line of runners such as De luca, Cairns, Lamont, Evans and Paterson if your not going to play a fly half who will pass the ball to them. IMO Godman is the best option we have at 10 at the moment if you want to see Scotland playing running rugby and creating chances to score tries. That was proven on Saturday ( Granted our finishing still needs improving) when Godman decided to open the game from the very start. Parks is the man you put in there if Scotland want to hold a lead. You'd be aswell playing that Mac Henderson ( Oldest living Scotland cap, 101) on the wing when Parks is at 10.

As for the game, going forward Scotland looked OK. Didn't take our chances and we never got the bounce of the ball. Defending was poor though. That try 2 minutes into the second half was a joke and actually quite demoralising. Apart from NZ's first try, the other 3 could have been avoided. At the breakdown Scotland did alright too, but we need to put all this together with a better defence to really test the top teams.

SA next, don't come much better than that! Hopfully Rory Lamont and Simon Taylor will be fit, and we can take a chance or two!

Parks is the man you put in there if Scotland want to hold a lead.

Hold it right there sonny jim! That useless c**t Dan Parks should never, ever be in the Scotland team. If you want someone who can get the ball and kick it aimlessly to the opposition, stopping any attempt at fluent play, then Parks is the man. He is absolutely dreadful. <_<

I was at the NZ game on Saturday, and like you said, we didn't look bad at all. We had the majority of the attacking play, and all the territory, but just couldn't get the ball over the line. Unfortunately, this attacking play came at the cost of a defence, so when NZ got the ball, they basically cut through us and scored every time.

Murrayfield was great though, cool build up with the darkness, the floodlights, the purple lights etc. and the minutes silence ended by the helicopter was awesome! Despite the result, it was a nice enough evening out. We played decent rugby, it was a nice atmosphere, and I went home relatively happy.

Quite looking forward to some punishment in just under a fortnight for the Canada match. It'll be my first rugby match of any kind, and with a smidgen of luck, I'll see a home win. How often does that happen at Pittodrie?

The Canadians were raped at the weekend, and despite Scotland being a bit rubbish, I think I'll be happy enough at the end of it. Have we lost to someone as bad as Canada before?

Quite looking forward to some punishment in just under a fortnight for the Canada match. It'll be my first rugby match of any kind, and with a smidgen of luck, I'll see a home win. How often does that happen at Pittodrie?

The Canadians were raped at the weekend, and despite Scotland being a bit rubbish, I think I'll be happy enough at the end of it. Have we lost to someone as bad as Canada before?

We have lost to Romania back in the amateur days, but they were well funded by the commies then and much better than they are now. We normally play our reserve team against Canada ( did so in the Churchill Cup anyway ) so you are assured of a Scotland win as it is possible to be.

Staggie you make a point about Godman but i think he is still abit inexperienced at international level but that will come with time but he has been impressive for Edinburgh. In saying that one of our other options - Parks is awesome for Glasgow but poor for Scotland but i would like to see Paterson given a shot at stand off again.

Edit - Spelling mistake

Edited by Andy_AUFC

Staggie you make a point about Godman but i think he is still abit inexperienced at international level but that will come with time but he has been impressive for Edinburgh. In saying that one of our other options - Parks is awesome for Glasgow but poor for Scotland but i would like to see Paterson given a shot at stand off again.

Edit - Spelling mistake

Best way for Godman to get experience is a long run in the team. Parks should never be near the squad ever, he is just dire in international level. We missed the chance to use Paterson at stand off. he should have been playing there from his first stint with Edinburgh but the coach of Edinburgh ( Hadden ! ) wouldnt have it. May have been leant on by the SRU but by not playing at that time, he has missed a good chunk of his career when he would have learned a lot about the position. I think that Paterson at fly half boat as sailed sadly. I reckon he could have been top notch but we decided to persist with gash like Parks

Total kick in the balls today- it's easy to say but I'm sure Paterson would have slotted at least 2 of the 4 missed kicks. Whether we'd have been able to hold out against the SA onslaught if we'd have been ahead is another matter. Thought that was the best rugby we've played in a while- Evans needs to get involved more as he's our best finisher out of the backs.

Can't see us geting a better chance to beat one of the big 3 SH countries in a while, they were total w**k for about 60 minutes out of the 80 and kept giving away penalties in the first half, although they screwed the nut a bit in the 2nd.

Saw the first half of the Ireland- ABs game as well. The Irish played well enough and the atmosphere sounded great but as soon as the penalty try and yellow card was given you knew that was game over.

Total kick in the balls today- it's easy to say but I'm sure Paterson would have slotted at least 2 of the 4 missed kicks. Whether we'd have been able to hold out against the SA onslaught if we'd have been ahead is another matter. Thought that was the best rugby we've played in a while- Evans needs to get involved more as he's our best finisher out of the backs.

Can't see us geting a better chance to beat one of the big 3 SH countries in a while, they were total w**k for about 60 minutes out of the 80 and kept giving away penalties in the first half, although they screwed the nut a bit in the 2nd.

Saw the first half of the Ireland- ABs game as well. The Irish played well enough and the atmosphere sounded great but as soon as the penalty try and yellow card was given you knew that was game over.

B)

In the second-half, we just weren't at the races. The crowd knew it as well. That's the quietest I've ever heard Croke Park.

:(

Hard to know it was just that we were better or they were just on a bad day. There is no doubting that our forwards can worry anyone ( the scrum has improved out of all recognition ) but we desperately need some self belief in the last 5 yards. Too often the ball is given to a player who is standing still rather than hitting contact at pace. If we can crack that then we should be a good sight better at 6N.

OK, I was wrong about the Aussie cakewalk :lol:

Only thing that would be funnier is the All Blacks losing to Wales today but I can't see it.

Ireland vs Argentina clearly match of the day with both teams having their world cup seedings up for grabs. An Argie win coupled with a Boks win over England puts them in pot 1 and opens the door for Scotland to knock the Irish out of pot 2 with a win over Canada. An Irish win means they are both in pot 2 (I think).

I quite fancy England to turn over SA who were fortunate to win against both Wales and Scotland.

OK, I was wrong about the Aussie cakewalk :lol:

Only thing that would be funnier is the All Blacks losing to Wales today but I can't see it.

Ireland vs Argentina clearly match of the day with both teams having their world cup seedings up for grabs. An Argie win coupled with a Boks win over England puts them in pot 1 and opens the door for Scotland to knock the Irish out of pot 2 with a win over Canada. An Irish win means they are both in pot 2 (I think).

I quite fancy England to turn over SA who were fortunate to win against both Wales and Scotland.

Ireland 17 v. 3 Argentina. I can live with that. Would love to have watched it and see us actually beat Argentina for once but the result is what matters to us in terms of World Cup seedings.

Good game at Pittodrie in those conditions.

And grand to see the Oz RL World Champions aren't. Well done New Zealand. Now make it an open tournament for Christ's sake !