Rugby Union

kiwififer

You would presume at age 27 and with 40 odd caps, that Russell would be part of any senior players group. He's quite right to be pissed off if they have set up all the rules without any input from him.

I can't for the life of me understand why Russell and Maitland were expected to train on the Monday after playing on Sunday afternoon and travelling up straight after. Surely it wasn't too much to let them have a few beers, the same as the rest of the squad did on the Saturday, then have Monday off?

I do think the bulk of the squad feel more loyalty to their employers, whereas Finn has gone to France and realised there is more than one way to manage players after 7 or 8 years under Townsend.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

I can't for the life of me understand why Russell and Maitland were expected to train on the Monday after playing on Sunday afternoon and travelling up straight after.

It's not about training. Finn didn't turn up for a team meeting, which he even admitted in his interview was a mistake.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

7 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Just one of many reports to reference him missing training on the Monday.

But he had played the day before so he wouldn't necessarily have been scheduled to train on the Monday.

Sean Maitland wasn't going to train on the Monday

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51125848

"We're training five sessions from Monday 20 January to Monday 27 and those Saracens players can only make one of those sessions," Townsend said.

I don't think either of them come out particularly well from this dispute, but ultimately only one of them is employed to win Scotland rugby matches. Ultimately his intransigence is going to be partially responsible for him losing his job, but until then we all have to watch a decent rugby team desperately short of the exact creativity Russell brings. 

I don't think either of them come out particularly well from this dispute, but ultimately only one of them is employed to win Scotland rugby matches. Ultimately his intransigence is going to be partially responsible for him losing his job, but until then we all have to watch a decent rugby team desperately short of the exact creativity Russell brings. 

And the precise creativity that’ll break down certainly Italy and, possibly, Wales.

You would presume at age 27 and with 40 odd caps, that Russell would be part of any senior players group. He's quite right to be pissed off if they have set up all the rules without any input from him.

I can't for the life of me understand why Russell and Maitland were expected to train on the Monday after playing on Sunday afternoon and travelling up straight after. Surely it wasn't too much to let them have a few beers, the same as the rest of the squad did on the Saturday, then have Monday off?

I do think the bulk of the squad feel more loyalty to their employers, whereas Finn has gone to France and realised there is more than one way to manage players after 7 or 8 years under Townsend.
Quoting my own post which never looks good. You would also have expected Maitland to be a part of any senior players group, but he was in the same boat as Russell in that arriving late they had already set the rules before he got there. That suggests to me that only the player's on the SRU payroll are considered worthy of coming up with ideas.

Quoting my own post which never looks good. You would also have expected Maitland to be a part of any senior players group, but he was in the same boat as Russell in that arriving late they had already set the rules before he got there. That suggests to me that only the player's on the SRU payroll are considered worthy of coming up with ideas.
Seems a bit shit but Maitland doesnt seem to mind, and I dont think Finn really needed a 3rd pint.

I'm all for binning Townsend though and getting a winner in to take charge. Give Gatland whatever he wants.

Seems a bit shit but Maitland doesnt seem to mind, and I dont think Finn really needed a 3rd pint.

I'm all for binning Townsend though and getting a winner in to take charge. Give Gatland whatever he wants.
Maitland is nearer the end of his career than Russell and possibly doesn't want to rock the boat. If Russell is genuinely the only player in the squad who disagrees with how things are managed then it's going to be tough for Russell to return to the squad even if Townsend was to leave.

On 10/02/2020 at 16:02, GNU_Linux said:

I don't follow rugby but how has the Super 6 thingy fared so far?

Early days but pretty positive signs so far. I was as cynical as just about anyone when the plans were announced but with a good mate playing in it (who is pretty close to pro level) couldn't help but get excited in the weeks before it started. Standard is apparently significantly improved on the Premiership, even if the personnel is fairly similar. Stirling and Muir unsurprisingly a wee bit behind but the latter beat leaders Watsonians in their last game and in the first few rounds almost every game was decided by 7 or less points. Crowds in the first few rounds were significantly up on what the clubs got in the Premiership, not sure if they are holding up or not but they seem to be marketing it far better. Being played from November-now has meant conditions for running rugby haven't always been ideal but the proposed switch to summer rugby next season will help with that.