Rugby Union

kiwififer

Some amount of shite being spouted by the anti-Townsend brigade. Before they knew anything they had Finn Russell being booted out after nobly standing up to him on tactics. Now they know that didn't happen, they're still blaming him anyway. Some people just don't like the guy and would have it in for him no matter what.

Yup, I don’t see how Townsend can be blamed for this. I love watching Finn Russell play but, in this instance, he was a moron and deserved to be punished. If anything, he then also seems to have acted childishly running off back to Racing, instead of facing up to it, staying with the team and giving himself the best chance of playing the following week.

My boss was trying to claim Cotter would have handled this differently but that’s pure conjecture, and I don’t personally think there’s much that could have been done – not without risking pissing off other players for treating Finn specially.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

7 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

Yup, I don’t see how Townsend can be blamed for this. I love watching Finn Russell play but, in this instance, he was a moron and deserved to be punished. If anything, he then also seems to have acted childishly running off back to Racing, instead of facing up to it, staying with the team and giving himself the best chance of playing the following week.

My boss was trying to claim Cotter would have handled this differently but that’s pure conjecture, and I don’t personally think there’s much that could have been done – not without risking pissing off other players for treating Finn specially.

If anything Cotter would have packed his bags for him and probably blocked him from the team on Whatsapp!

Obviously there may be details we dont know or never will ie was there a reason Russell decide to get that wasted he wasn't fit to make training? If it was just breaking curfew to have a few checky extra drinks I dont see too much of an issue, but staying to get that drunk you dont make training the next day is something else and we probably wont get the reasons why.

My and my mates though have had a bit of a laugh at this, were of an age where being sober on a friday night before a game was frowned upon, and a hangover (fixed by a bottle of orange lucuzade) was a prerequiste to playing. Over 25 season later and I still dont like playing with a clear head!

26 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

Racing have a game tomorrow. I think he was always going back.  

18 minutes ago, Detournement said:

If I'm Russell and I go into camp for four months for the World Cup and Townsend completely fucks it with crazy selections and tactics then I wouldn't have any respect for him either. 

Russell's actions have nothing to do with Townsend's tactics and trying to conflate the two is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Jaggy Snake said:

Russell's actions have nothing to do with Townsend's tactics and trying to conflate the two is ridiculous.

He is clearly acting this way because he has contempt for Townsend. 

It's not a school team. They are grown men in the team and it has to be a two way street where the players and management are both held accountable. 

Edited by Detournement

59 minutes ago, Detournement said:

He is clearly acting this way because he has contempt for Townsend. 

It's not a school team. They are grown men in the team and it has to be a two way street where the players and management are both held accountable. 

You're saying they're grown men but it's acceptable for one of them to get drunk and miss training because he doesn't like the tactics - get a grip.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

12 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

You're saying they're grown men but it's acceptable for one of them to get drunk and miss training because he doesn't like the tactics - get a grip.

I'm not saying it's acceptable but things like this tend to happen when managers/coaches have under performed. 

Either we will have a bad Six Nations which will see Townsend sacked and Finn back for the summer or we will win three games or possibly two with a narrow loss in a third and Gregor will survive and Finn will be out in the cold. I know what my money is on.

3 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

Absolutely, you can see that with Detournement's posts and others who are sticking up for Russell. They are just using it as an opportunity to criticise Townsend because they don't like him.

Nothing wrong with thinking Townsend is hopeless, but that is a separate issue.

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:
2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:
Darcy Graham out due to a knee injury.

Six nations going great and we are still a couple of weeks away from the first game.

First game is a week tomorrow.

Plenty of time for more to go wrong. I'm thinking Stuart McInally gets cited for humiliating Owen Farrell at Twickenham, WP Nel is ejected from the country cos Brexit and Hoggy comes down with coronavirus. 

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

First game is a week tomorrow.

Plenty of time for more to go wrong. I'm thinking Stuart McInally gets cited for humiliating Owen Farrell at Twickenham, WP Nel is ejected from the country cos Brexit and Hoggy comes down with coronavirus. 

Sounds like Finn came down with a bit of coronavirus, amirite?

In fairness, I've been loving the work of Horne and Hastings this season, they went toe-to-toe with Exeter and they were excellent against Russia in Japan. Fine, Russia aren't a top side, but we beat them 61-0 and nobody else put more than 35 points on them, only New Zealand won a match by a higher margin, and only us, NZ and South Africa scored more than 50 points in any game. Their ability to create line breaks and then maximise the advantage is something not even Finn can manage, though obviously neither can pass like him.

Plus there's chunky Duncy on the bench...