Rugby Union

kiwififer

If Glasgow hadn't regressed at least a bit after losing Russell and then Hogg that would have been remarkable

Any successful team is going to attract interest in the players that brought that success. So their club is going to lose some of those players and will have to use more budget to keep others.

Which should be a natural balancing factor making it harder for any team that finds itself on top to keep hold of that position (unless you're Saracens).

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

3 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
4 hours ago, Detournement said:
I agree about Dodson but regressed from what. Under Cotter we got skelped in Dublin and Twickenham and the RWC match against South Africa wasn't any more competitive than the Ireland game. All that has really changed are expectations. 
For Glasgow the team that lost the final last season are on a par at least with the title winning team. The standard across the whole league has lifted but Leinster are well ahead. 

We were starting from a very low ebb. Glasgow when compared have clearly regressed.

Again I don't see it.

If they don't make the playoffs this year it'll be because of the RWC, Leinster being dominant, Cheetahs being shit hot at home and Ulster improving massively under MacFarlane with only three players at RWC. 

I don't see this season being remarkably different to Townsend's final two seasons. The standard of the best players is lower but both Fagersons, George Horne, Price, Hastings, Johnson and Cummins have come on massively under Rennie. There are obviously big areas for improvement but that's standard Glasgow Warriors not regression. 

I think Glasgow peaked with the Pro 12 win - that was a special team that just clicked, lost the final the previous year so knew whatto expect next time round.

Regressed is probably harsh but fair. Harsh as we were never going to replace Russell or Hogg we also lost but have since returned Nakarawa, DTH & Nico. We were always fragile up front, but there are signs this is improving slowly. For me when Rennie came in he inherited a free flowing, run in tries from anywhere team, that lost games when they got dominated upfront. I dont see that having changed at all, in fact i think its got worse. I would have preferred to have kept the high intensity, attacking rugby, but have added a bit of steel or streetwise-ness not to do something stupid in our own 22. From the outside looking in that was what was missing and still is.

From me Scotland at least are a different beast under Townsend, and very much like him as a player can either be majestic or utterly frustrating. We went i think 2 years without losing at home, a Calcutta cup win, and then a draw that have been some of hte best performances every (or the 2nd game the worst and best half of rugby ever) we've beaten everyone except NZ. But we've also been dreadfull away from home, and had a poor World Cup, so think he needs a solid 6 nations or maybe time for a change

Pro14 Semi finals and bottom of the group in Europe, then Pro14 Final and Euro QF in his first two seasons, then narrowly missing out on the QF in Europe with the Pro14 still to finish this season, all while having his marquee players leave and not be replaced.

If that's regression, we must have been really fucking good under Townsend.

Pro14 Semi finals and bottom of the group in Europe, then Pro14 Final and Euro QF in his first two seasons, then narrowly missing out on the QF in Europe with the Pro14 still to finish this season, all while having his marquee players leave and not be replaced. If that's regression, we must have been really fucking good under Townsend.

Regression is measured against your competition. You know that ffs. Firstly, our main rivals Edinburgh- we have clearly regressed and secondly the pro 14 benchmark Leinster (despite what people say this is absolutely where we need to be aiming), the gap has clearly widened. I'm sure you can find some examples where teams have regressed against us but frankly who cares the 2 above are what Glasgow should be concerning themselves with.

10 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Regression is measured against your competition. You know that ffs. Firstly, our main rivals Edinburgh- we have clearly regressed and secondly the pro 14 benchmark Leinster (despite what people say this is absolutely where we need to be aiming), the gap has clearly widened. I'm sure you can find some examples where teams have regressed against us but frankly who cares the 2 above are what Glasgow should be concerning themselves with.

Glasgow have been very consistent in the Pro14 and Europe despite some big losses of players, impact of the World Cup and are still a very competent side. It's fair to say we haven't hit the heights of 2014-15, and aren't as good a team as previous seasons, but hardly massive regression. I mean we only have to look back a decade to see where we were. 

I also think it is hard to compare to other teams. Leinster have a much larger budget and even the other Irish provinces are struggling to hold a candle to Leinster. 

Difficult to see Edinburgh as rivals under the central system with the SRU pulling the strings at both. Edinburgh have  improved but were massively underachieving to start. Worth noting that Townsend lost 4 of his last 5 games against Edinburgh...

The central system sees Glasgow lose players to Edinburgh when it suits for Scotland - Weir, Bennett, Pyrgos, Bhatti etc. With Price re-signing you wonder if Horne will be next.

Glasgow have been very consistent in the Pro14 and Europe despite some big losses of players, impact of the World Cup and are still a very competent side. It's fair to say we haven't hit the heights of 2014-15, and aren't as good a team as previous seasons, but hardly massive regression. I mean we only have to look back a decade to see where we were. 
I also think it is hard to compare to other teams. Leinster have a much larger budget and even the other Irish provinces are struggling to hold a candle to Leinster. 
Difficult to see Edinburgh as rivals under the central system with the SRU pulling the strings at both. Edinburgh have  improved but were massively underachieving to start. Worth noting that Townsend lost 4 of his last 5 games against Edinburgh...
The central system sees Glasgow lose players to Edinburgh when it suits for Scotland - Weir, Bennett, Pyrgos, Bhatti etc. With Price re-signing you wonder if Horne will be next.
Should the Glasgow and Edinburgh try and get some Saracens players. I know they will be pricey but may get the cheaper than expected and would be good mentors for the Scottish based players?
Appreciate your point about Leinster but disagree. That's the benchmark and we need to aim high. Success breeds success and a larger fan base

I don't see how Edinburgh improving can be a black mark against Glasgow.

As for Leinster they only lost Carberry who they may have wanted to keep in the last few years and have signed Test level players in Lowe and Fardy. Plus they have a huge potential player pool fed by private schools. Sadly Glasgow can't compete with that. 

There is probably some perspective needed - for a few years it was Glasgow and Leinster as the best 2 teams in the Pro 12, with Glasgow playing all the rugby and Leinster grinding out wins. Now (not looking at the current league table but last 3 or 4 years finishing positions) you would say Glasgow are still top 4 Pro 14 with Leinster the best and Glasgow on a par with Munster and Ulster with Edinburgh gone from perenial mid table / lower half mediocrity to probably pushing to get into that top 4 teams.

2 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Should the Glasgow and Edinburgh try and get some Saracens players. I know they will be pricey but may get the cheaper than expected and would be good mentors for the Scottish based players?
Appreciate your point about Leinster but disagree. That's the benchmark and we need to aim high. Success breeds success and a larger fan base

Looking at Saracens, both Glasgow and Edinburgh don't need centres, so I can't see Taylor coming, but I think Maitland is an obvious shout the SRU might be willing to pay for. He's perhaps getting past his peak at 31, but still an important player for Scotland. Glasgow could use a fullback (although Bryce has done well) and Maitland is versatile. Can't see any English players being interested. 

5 minutes ago, GAD said:

Finn Russell has left the Scotland 6 nations squad for "reasons that are unclear". Fucking hell....

If it is not an injury or family reasons it is a PR disaster and potentially sees Toony gone? 

When they state it is unclear you have to assume it isn't injury. 

Edited by flyingscot

5 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

If it is not an injury or family reasons it is a PR disaster and potentially sees Toony gone? 

When they state it is unclear you have to assume it isn't injury. 

Just made a statement there. It's for a breach of team protocol, he's not injured. This is a fucking disaster.