Rugby Union

kiwififer

It's pretty obvious that Townsend is in the last chance saloon as well as coach. As popular as he is with the fans, there's no doubt that Scotland have went backwards under him.....we simply can't go on conceding an average of 3 tries and 25 points a game. 
There's a good article below from Tom English, which highlights exactly what we're missing.....an aggressive defence and an element of savvy brutality that countries like Ireland and Wales have, whereas we're constantly an easy touch.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/51109386
Maybe a new defensive coach will make a difference, but it's certainly true that it's time for quite a few Scotland players to discover their inner khunt. 
Read that article.
Previously mentioned that we need to toughen up and grind victories. I'd have Aaron Mauger as head coach and Cockerill as forwards coach.
Make it happen SRU

If Scotland ever click for eighty minutes, they’ll thrash somebody good. When they don’t click, the don’t have the capacity to Gatlandball themselves to an undeserved win.

They are very much Townsend’s team; he was the best 10 in the game when he was on form, had support at 12, and not playing in the centres. When he had no support at 12, he often looked hapless. Same with this team.

Hoggy is set to be named as captain for the 6N.

It's the right call for me - he's a first pick, the talisman, and has the respect of players and officials. Being at Exeter rather than at Glasgow or Edinburgh probably helps a bit too in that he's out of the main SRU bubble now.

The squad has been announced, some big changes. No Wilson, R. Gray, P. Horne, Skinner, Taylor, Thomson, Reid or Matt Fagerson, guys like Haining, Gordon, Crosbie, Du Press and Ratu Tagive make it. There is also some guy called Alex Craig I've never heard of.

Very surprised Fagerson has not made it, I thought he was a cert. Apparently Du Preez has been excellent recently though. A lot of guys who went to the world cup gone now, much younger side. I guess now is as good a time as any to start the rebuild.

Skinner isn't fit yet. Matt Fagerson is a very strange one.

I'd still rather have Ryan Wilson in  a test match than CdP. Tagive playing international rugby is a mental thought. Hopefully the four decent back three players we have see us through until DVDM comes on board. 

The World Cup squad was sheer idiocy. Thomson, Taylor and Barclay should never have been there never mind starting big games.

Guest Bob Mahelp

If Hoggy is captain that almost certainly means that he's intending to start Brown instead of McInally at hooker.

Brown is playing well, but I always see him as a penalty waiting to happen. His handling in the ruck (after being warned) in the last 10 seconds at Twickenham was probably the most blatant act of stupidity I can think of from a Scottish rugby player. 

I would have dropped him for life for that.  

A few strange choices in amongst the usual suspects

Front Row as expected - Dell, Nel, Fagerson Brown, McInally and Turner pick themselves Bhatti, Bergham & Sutherland probably the best of the rest - if Reid had gone to Glasgow rather than the Bulls he may have been an option but there is no standout player missing out

2nd Row - Grey, Cummings and Toolis are by far the best 3 - Gilchrist doesn't bring enough, Craig i've heard good things about but never seen play so can comment, other than he only has a handfull of games for Gloucester - hopefully him and Gordon are just there for experience and not expected to be playing. If the other Grey wanted back in the squad he should be there.

Back row - apart from Zander, I would have Matt Fagerrson down as Glasgows best player this season (blip against La Rochelle aside) so dissapointed he isnt in the squad, and I think he suits the way Scotland want to play. It seems though that Townsend is after a big battering ram no.8 now, and after going through Strauss and Thompson, which isn't really Fagersons game. I dont remember seeing Haining play but he is another SH import of Scottish ancestry playing second fiddle to Mata at 8. There was no fanfare when he arrived, or when he was at Bristol so cant say im excited to see him start. De Preez has always been ok, but nothing special. I like the look of Crosbie so good inclusion, but suprised at Gordon getting in the squad

9&10 pick themselves really as does 15 - although was really impressed by Bryce vs Exeter so may be one to keep an eye on.

Centres - assume Grigg is still injured hence why not in the team, Horne & Taylor being dropped is a suprise, not that I think they are that good, just a lot of coaches seem to rate them. Johnson / Scott at inside and Jones / Hutchinson outside are fairly similar players so. Bennett must have been there or there abouts, but you have Harris / Steyn that can cover wing and centre so probably justifiable.

Wing - tagive? McGuigan? Both would get no where near starting for Glasgow - surely we have better wingers than that available?

The Tagive pick is a really strange one. He is 29, so not exactly up and coming. He's behind Seymour, DTH, Niko and Steyn at Glasgow, probably Lee Jones as well if we ever see him again. If it came to it, you'd probably play Jones, Bennet, Taylor or Harris at wing ahead of him, and two of those guys didn't even make the squad. I think McGuigan is a much better player than him as well, and then you've got big Duhan coming in during the summer ahead of him too. Seems a bit pointless to have the poor guy there when it would take an injury crisis if absolute biblical proportions to have him even on the bench. Even then, you'd probably go and beg Seymour to come out of retirement first.

From the BBC article about the squad. Toulouse lock Richie Gray, Glasgow back-row Matt Fagerson, Scarlets' Blade Thomson and Harlequins back James Lang all miss out through injury, but could feature during the tournament.

Ireland have named Sexton as captain, which has bemused a lot of their fans because

1) he will be retired before the next world cup and most think they should be picking a captain who will be there right through the next 4 years

and

2) he will almost certainly be injured at some point during the 6 nations.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Ireland have named Sexton as captain, which has bemused a lot of their fans because

1) he will be retired before the next world cup and most think they should be picking a captain who will be there right through the next 4 years

and

Quite possibly the game against us. 

and

And he's a liability

Dates and venues are decided later by the organisers... No doubt to try and ensure tight finishes, even spread of TV games, and perhaps play some games nearer to 'expat' communities.

There are 16 cities (with 2 venues in Newcastle and Leeds) hosting 31 games. Many will only do 1 game or a double-header/weekend. Big venues probably England, Australia, SFs + Final.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Rugby_League_World_Cup#Venues

Saracens still over-paying?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51143657

Yep, the new chairman said as much last week. I met up with my uncle and his mates last week who were up for the Exeter game, as you can imagine they fkn despise Sarries. As well as the companies set up for the players, there are rumours that some players wives had jobs at the club, with one allegedly working as a cleaner and being paid circa 100k per year.