Rugby Union

kiwififer

Exeter beat Sale 35-10, so that leaves the group as follows

1. Exeter 19 points
2. Glasgow 9 points
3. Sale 6 points
4. La Rochelle 5 points.

2 wins for Glasgow gets them to at least 17 which might scrape through, but based on yesterday I don't have much confidence in them managing to beat Exeter and Sale.

I only saw the first half of the game, so cant really comment on the 2nd half, but we started well, got the try, then completely took the foot of the gas. It was as if we thought that as La Rochelle had nothing to play for, losing a try would ensure the floodgates would open without having to put the effort in. Hastings put in a few decent kicks to get us teritory at the start of the game, but after we scored I dont think we had any ball never mind good field position..

I actually expected us to get hammered 2nd half so to finish 7-12 was better than I hoped for at half time.

I dont think we are out yet, but thats only because there are 2 other pools where the 2nd placed team has already lost 2 also, however beating Exeter is going to be a huge ask for this team at the moment

Watched the Doddie documentary earlier. I had been avoiding it for obvious reasons, but after seeing him at SPOTY last night, I thought I could cope with it.
Nope. Absolutely heartbreaking.

I found the SPOTY thing tough viewing too. His speech is so slurred, and he holds his hands conspicuously. There’s no way I could sit through the BBC documentary. This next year is going to be absolutely horrendous, even from a distance. His kids must be going through hell.

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I found the SPOTY thing tough viewing too. His speech is so slurred, and he holds his hands conspicuously. There’s no way I could sit through the BBC documentary. This next year is going to be absolutely horrendous, even from a distance. His kids must be going through hell.

Having watched the documentary I was expecting those but his inability to hold the trophy himself was the killer for me. Horrible, horrible illness.

the ref for the 1st leg of the 1872 cup is  Ben Blain with sevens refs Sam Grove-White and Hollie Davidson as assistants.

Glasgow Warriors v Edinburgh Rugby – KO 17.45

Scotstoun Stadium, Glasgow

Referee: Ben Blain (SRU, 5th Championship Appearance)

AR1: Sam Grove-White (SRU), AR2: Hollie Davidson (SRU)

TMO: Andrew McMenemy (SRU)

Leeds Rhinos legend Rob Burrow has been diagnosed with motor neurone disease (MND).

He won eight Grand Finals, three World Club Challenges and two Challenge Cups in 17 years with the Super League side.

Burrow, 37, who also won 15 caps for England, retired in 2017 and is now the club's reserve team head coach.

"I know I have a big challenge in front of me but knowing that I have the love and support of so many people will give me inspiration and strength," he said.

"I am very positive about the situation and intend to battle the condition as I still feel fit and well.

"I would like to ask for privacy at this time so I can adjust to the battle I have ahead and so that I can spend time with those closest to me ahead of Christmas and New Year."

MND is a degenerative condition that affects how nerves in the brain and spinal cord function. There is currently no cure.

Rhinos director of rugby Kevin Sinfield, who played alongside Burrow for both Leeds and England, said the news was "devastating and heart-breaking".

Sinfield

Weir was honoured with the Helen Rollason Award, which recognises outstanding achievement in the face of adversity, at the BBC Sports Personality of the Year event on Sunday.

Former England captain Sinfield said: "Throughout his career, Rob overcame the odds to become a legend of the game and I know he will tackle this challenge with the exact same positive determination.

"As a club, Rob will receive our full support and we will be working with him to chart the way forward."

Leeds have announced that the testimonial for Jamie Jones-Buchanan against Bradford Bulls on Sunday, 12 January at Headingley will now be a joint-fundraiser for both players.

added that Scotland rugby union great Doddie Weir, who revealed in June 2017 that he had been diagnosed with MND, has met with Burrow.

Laidlaw has hung up his Scotland boots. Gutted, but again, probably the right time. Think a lot of people will realise what we've lost fairly soon though.
Definitely. A few years back it looked like we had 2 decent prospects in Price and Hidalgo Clyne, but both their careers have stalled. George Horne is nowhere near consistent enough to step up to international level yet. Going to be a tough 6 nations.

Definitely. A few years back it looked like we had 2 decent prospects in Price and Hidalgo Clyne, but both their careers have stalled. George Horne is nowhere near consistent enough to step up to international level yet. Going to be a tough 6 nations.

And Townsend is about the last coach you would want for that.

Guest Bob Mahelp

If Laidlaw had been half a second quicker in thought, passing and movement, he would have been one of the great scrum halves of the professional era.

As it is, he's going to be almost impossible to replace. George Horne looks the most likely to step up, but as pointed out above nobody seems confident that he's quite ready to replace Greig.

Ali Price has went backwards at a massive rate since his disaster in Cardiff in 2018.