Rugby Union

kiwififer

I read Tom English's article on the BBC website and was astonished to learn that in our last 15 games we've conceded something like 40+ tries. I don't know why I was astonished, but I was.
Obviously there's something drastically wrong with our defensive set up, and the SRU should start their analysis of the world cup by emptying out Matt Taylor and Dan McFarland....any international defensive coach who's side concedes an average of 3 tries a game should be gone, pronto. 
Our forwards have also gone soft as shite. They look like nice guys who would help wee auld women across the road, but what we want and need are a pack of throat stamping, cocaine snorting, mad as f**k mental cases that are willing to kill and be killed for the jersey they pull on (all within the laws of the game of course).
One of the few highlights of yesterday was Jamie Ritchie preparing to grab half the Japanese team by the throat and show them that he wouldn't take any shit. It's hard to remember the last time we saw real aggression from anyone in a Scotland team that must be the cuddliest in world rugby.
The passion, aggression and determination we showed in the last 20 minutes yesterday was what we need to see from the whole team from the 1st minute in Dublin in a few months time....no feckin hanging around waiting for the game to come to them and then finding ourselves 14 points down after 10 minutes. 
Get rid of Taylor and McFarland and give Townsend another 5 games to prove that he can put out a fit, determined, aggressive, concentrated team that will be focused and hard as steel from the first whistle.
If he can't do that, then it's bye bye Toony. 

McFarland took over as head coach of Ulster last season.

Guest Bob Mahelp
17 minutes ago, ddfg said:

McFarland took over as head coach of Ulster last season.

You're right, I knew that when I started my rant but just kept on going.....Dan Wilson, sorry.

Get rid of him as well 😅

Not as upset with going out  as I would have been with 0-0 and no match. Japan deserved their win. 
Just one niggle concerning TMO.  In the build up to Japan's first try there was what looked like a forward pass and in Scotlands 3rd try, ditto.
The ref didn't seem to want to use TMO whereas the Welshman , Nigel Owens, seems to just LOVE it. 
TMO, VAR, has to be used consistently.
Today was the first I have been able to see the highlights in a decent quality stream. Japan's didn't really jump out at me until the replay, but I thought Scotland's was obvious.

I still can't believe how bad Scotland's game management was just before half time when Hogg should have been launching that drop out as far as he could get it, not give Japan the chance to catch it and launch an attack. Going in 14-7 down makes a massive difference, although we might still have lost a try early in the second half.

To be fair in the eyes of Tier 2 fans we have been the villians for years.

And to be fair the fact we are in the 6N's every year means we pocket loads of cash, which we have used to buy in imports from NZ / SA / Aus is the only reason we have stayed ahead of Fiji / Samoa / Tonga etc in the 90's. If they had the same income as us they could afford to have all their best players playing in all their internationals (rather than staying at their clubs in France - or retiring from internationals early), or the likes of Georgia / Romania / Spain having the money to have high level pro teams in the Pro14 (or similar) would have them above us also. Our continued playing top Tier nations helps keep us ahead of the Tier 2's, as did our recent voting down of any changes to the 6N's, and voting against the Nations league confirmed we are definetly in the bad guys camp.

More reasons to be worried in that Japan are starting a new pro league (figures i have seen would make all 12 clubs the richest in world rugby) from 2021 and also there is a new South American pro league (clubs from Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil and Chile form the start) copying the MLR set up we could soon be further behind the big guns than we are alrady

To be fair in the eyes of Tier 2 fans we have been the villians for years.
And to be fair the fact we are in the 6N's every year means we pocket loads of cash, which we have used to buy in imports from NZ / SA / Aus is the only reason we have stayed ahead of Fiji / Samoa / Tonga etc in the 90's. If they had the same income as us they could afford to have all their best players playing in all their internationals (rather than staying at their clubs in France - or retiring from internationals early), or the likes of Georgia / Romania / Spain having the money to have high level pro teams in the Pro14 (or similar) would have them above us also. Our continued playing top Tier nations helps keep us ahead of the Tier 2's, as did our recent voting down of any changes to the 6N's, and voting against the Nations league confirmed we are definetly in the bad guys camp.
More reasons to be worried in that Japan are starting a new pro league (figures i have seen would make all 12 clubs the richest in world rugby) from 2021 and also there is a new South American pro league (clubs from Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil and Chile form the start) copying the MLR set up we could soon be further behind the big guns than we are alrady

If they were creating the tiers tomorrow, Scotland would be tier two.

we seemed to have pissed off World Rugby https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50052435

STATEMENT

SCOTTISH RUGBY STATEMENT

16 OCTOBER 2019

Scottish Rugby statement...

A Scottish Rugby spokesperson, said: “Scottish Rugby once again expresses its sincere condolences to the people of Japan and all those affected by Typhoon Hagibis which struck last weekend.

"We have been able to convey our best wishes directly to the Mayor of Yokohama and the Chairman of the Japanese Rugby Union. We stand with the great people of Japan.

“Following receipt of correspondence yesterday from World Rugby, Scottish Rugby confirms that it has received a notice of complaint from Rugby World Cup Ltd. Scottish Rugby is querying whether the matter is an appropriate one for the bringing of Misconduct charges.

"If Misconduct proceedings are to proceed, Scottish Rugby looks forward to receiving a fair hearing in this matter. No further comment would be appropriate at this time."

Saw another story from the head of NZ rugby putting the blame on Fiji, Samoa and Tonga all going out firmly at the door of the northern hemisphere, and specifically the 4 home rfu's. Apparently we are all to blame because we won't let the islanders play for their home countries after the Aussies and Kiwis have capped them then binned them once a better option comes along.

Heard Ben Ryan getting interviewed on 5live a couple of weeks ago, he coached Fiji's 7s to Olympic gold. As he said, it is a complicated issue. The biggest problem is the lack of professional leagues on the islands, players who look half decent get tempted away to play in leagues in Aus and NZ, but on condition that they remain available to play for their new homeland, which means not playing for their island. Those players then get used to sending money back to support their family and know if they were to play for their home island they would almost certainly be bagged by theur club.

It hasn't helped that money from world rugby that has gone to the islands doesn't ever seem to reach where it should. He also cited the example of England v NZ, with the Kiwis taking home £2m of the Matchday revenues, whereas Fiji got their expenses paid plus a sum of £50k when they played in front of a Twickenham full house with similar takings.

Saw another story from the head of NZ rugby putting the blame on Fiji, Samoa and Tonga all going out firmly at the door of the northern hemisphere, and specifically the 4 home rfu's. Apparently we are all to blame because we won't let the islanders play for their home countries after the Aussies and Kiwis have capped them then binned them once a better option comes along.

Or in other words

If we all agree to treat that Fiji as not a real nation but just a minor league farm team for it’s neighbours then they could field stronger teams.

I can see the logic but I’m not convinced

Or in other words

If we all agree to treat that Fiji as not a real nation but just a minor league farm team for it’s neighbours then they could field stronger teams.

I can see the logic but I’m not convinced
Pretty much, I was editing my post when you replied, added a bit more detail.

Thats NZ that have still to send a full international team to play any of the Pacific Islanders at home as there is no money in it for them?

If Aus / NZ would actually go and play games there, or let a PI team in Super Rugby then that would go a lot further to helping them, than letting some 30 somethings that are deemed surplas to requirements for NZ or Aus to turn out for them. IN fact the Islanders are more likely to not play and try their hand at a bigger nation first if they know they can go back if it doesn't work out

Thats NZ that have still to send a full international team to play any of the Pacific Islanders at home as there is no money in it for them?

The All Blacks played in Samoa in 2015 with a full team. I think I read that Samoa actually lost money on that game so I’m not sure games in the islands are that attractive for either side.

A super rugby team would help but even the top super rugby teams can’t compete with the money on offer in Europe. Maybe if the criteria to qualify for another nation was a bit tighter it might stop so many switching to the big nations?

The All Blacks played in Samoa in 2015 with a full team. I think I read that Samoa actually lost money on that game so I’m not sure games in the islands are that attractive for either side.

A super rugby team would help but even the top super rugby teams can’t compete with the money on offer in Europe. Maybe if the criteria to qualify for another nation was a bit tighter it might stop so many switching to the big nations?
They lost about 1.5 million New Zealand dollars form the articles I could find

How is it possible that Samoa lost money from that game, genuine question

55 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
4 hours ago, Cheeko Green said:

How is it possible that Samoa lost money from that game, genuine question

Even if it sold out I would imagine the ticket prices would be around the £5 / 10 mark to be afordable to the majority of the population of Samoa, so they would have taken approx £250k, but have to pay for NZ to travel over (and probably a few for them to play), training facilities, hotels etc, flying players over from Europe etc.

Its like Georgia (who have a similar GDP to the pacific nations) fill the main stadium in Tblisi but only charge €5/10 for each game.

Edit to add

Also having just checked NZ have played Samoa 7 times - Scotland (11), Wales (10) and England (8) have all played them more times

Game was played on a wednesday, only 8000 fans apparenetly.

Edited by honestly united