Rugby Union

kiwififer

It's not the cancellation but the fact that there was going to be no attempt to shift the game - as they apparently did try with New Zealand - it was NZ who said No - the Italians were not even asked.

Where's the fairness in that?

There’s a legitimate complaint that games can’t be rescheduled, but as has been shown in this thread, the teams signed up to those rules. There was never any attempt to reschedule any of the games, which is daft, but still.

The optics of threatening to sue were awful

There’s a legitimate complaint that games can’t be rescheduled, but as has been shown in this thread, the teams signed up to those rules. There was never any attempt to reschedule any of the games, which is daft, but still.

The optics of threatening to sue were awful
So why try to reschedule the ABs game - but only speak to the ABs?

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

There will be games going ahead next weekend regardless. You seem to be absolutely desperate to make it clear you're in Japan and how terrible it all is, and how great the people are there.

Frankly its nothing to do with this. Our game was scheduled today, if its cancelled it's a week until the next game, I doubt any "infrastructure" that's taken a battering will be down for more than a day or two, so theres no reason they couldnt have delayed cancelled games until Tuesday, even if it means moving it to other parts of the country where the storm hit earlier.

This is the issue. This is the complaint. 

There are roads, railways and bridges across the country. That type of infrastructure won't be back up and running in a day or two. Some Prefectures still don't have power from the previous typhoon last month.

The geography of Japan means that most of the venues have been directly affected. Sapporo? No can do, there's a baseball game on this weekend/week. Fukuoka? Possibly but getting thousands of ticketed spectators there would be an issue.

I don't give a f**k if you think I'm advertising that I live in Japan. I've never made any secret of it but take it from someone with firsthand experience of the daily threat of typhoons, earthquakes and tsunamis, it takes more than a few days to get things back up and running.

2 minutes ago, GAD said:

There is a good chance we wouldn't be playing now if we hadn't threatened legal action. As soon as it turned out World Rugby's Robust contingency plans didn't exist we had them over a barrell.

Going forward, do you think there should be another round of qualifiers before the finals in order to reduce the groups to 4 Nations? That way a rest week could cope for any contingencies?

10 minutes ago, sjc said:

There are roads, railways and bridges across the country. That type of infrastructure won't be back up and running in a day or two. Some Prefectures still don't have power from the previous typhoon last month.

The geography of Japan means that most of the venues have been directly affected. Sapporo? No can do, there's a baseball game on this weekend/week. Fukuoka? Possibly but getting thousands of ticketed spectators there would be an issue.

I don't give a f**k if you think I'm advertising that I live in Japan. I've never made any secret of it but take it from someone with firsthand experience of the daily threat of typhoons, earthquakes and tsunamis, it takes more than a few days to get things back up and running.

So cancelling the game is a better option than playing behind closed doors, or to a reduced crowd?

2 minutes ago, sjc said:

Going forward, do you think there should be another round of qualifiers before the finals in order to reduce the groups to 4 Nations? That way a rest week could cope for any contingencies?

The talk is of going to 6 groups of 4, then a last 16 before quarters, but that means the group games are every day with no days off until a gap between groups and last 16 so probably worse. Unless you look at moving 6N or RC the only option is holding in countries where you guarantee the weather in October / November

2 minutes ago, Rock Star said:

So cancelling the game is a better option than playing behind closed doors, or to a reduced crowd?

Its better if done in advance, but our case you have fans and players moving into the Typhoon hit area in the hope that the game is on

Edited by honestly united

4 minutes ago, Rock Star said:

I don't disagree but the stadium might not be available. Most are shared with other sports.

It should have been held in December imo.