Rugby Union

kiwififer

5 hours ago, honestly united said:

I make it that its only Brown that hasn't played at all, I know there are still a few weeks to go until the first game, but must be a bit of a risk going in with no game time after such a long injury lay off.

Johnson and Taylor better rip things up on Friday otherwise there could be a few questions to answer!

I know what you mean, but Brown is miles better than Turner or Stewart. It's worth the risk.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49588651

Nice interview with Ryan Wilson, showing the human side of these guys as they wait on the call. IMO Bradbury and Matt Fagerson are more skilful players and better athletes, but Wilson more than makes up for it in attitude, decision making and shithousery. I think we're a bit too nice as a team, and that's partly why we start games and tournaments slowly - it takes them a while to get fired up. Jonny Gray is the kind of guy you'd like your daughter to bring home. Wilson's desire to beat the opposition just to watch them cry is infectious and I think we're better with him in the team, and definitely in the squad.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49588651
Nice interview with Ryan Wilson, showing the human side of these guys as they wait on the call. IMO Bradbury and Matt Fagerson are more skilful players and better athletes, but Wilson more than makes up for it in attitude, decision making and shithousery. I think we're a bit too nice as a team, and that's partly why we start games and tournaments slowly - it takes them a while to get fired up. Jonny Gray is the kind of guy you'd like your daughter to bring home. Wilson's desire to beat the opposition just to watch them cry is infectious and I think we're better with him in the team, and definitely in the squad.

If Ryan Wilson were English, he’d be the least popular player on this forum - he’s our Dylan Hartley and frankly I’m delighted that he is.

Wilson always looks like an eight-week suspension waiting to happen, but very rarely gets caught.

He’s also responsible for one of the funniest serious news reports in history.

Rugby star Ryan Wilson guilty of 'Batman punch' on Ally Maclay http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-31005517

I only got round to watching the game in Tbilisi through the week.  That was a potential banana skin vs a tough pack at their place with a home crowd who were up for it.  Good to see us front up in tough conditions and won well.

Going to Murrayfield tonight.  I'm hoping that on our own patch we'll be able to get a win to take to Japan.

54 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Why are the rugby and football teams playing on the same night?  I am aware of several conflicted fans who usually go to Hampden and Murrayfield. 

That's a good question.  It happened almost 10 years ago when Dan Parks kicked us to a victory in Argentina and at the same time Craig Levein played no strikers in the Czech Republic.  It's understandable on this occasion imo as the Georgia game isn't even a Test match like that Argentina game was (which aren't friendlies), but tonight's a glorified bounce game as all the WC warm-ups are imo.  The Russia game at the footy is a competitive game though. 

Having said that, people will go to what suits them.  I'm a rugby fan before football so I'm heading to Murrayfield tonight.

48 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

If Ryan Wilson were English, he’d be the least popular player on this forum - he’s our Dylan Hartley and frankly I’m delighted that he is.

Wilson always looks like an eight-week suspension waiting to happen, but very rarely gets caught.

He’s also responsible for one of the funniest serious news reports in history.

Rugby star Ryan Wilson guilty of 'Batman punch' on Ally Maclay http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-31005517

Woah, you've taken that too far. I get what you're saying but Dylan Hartley is the asshole's asshole. He's been banned for two seasons since 2007. He's committed eye gouging twice, bitten someone and called a referee a f*cking cheat. And that's before we get to the punching, headbutting and swinging arms. He's also a pretty unpleasant guy all round and there doesn't seem to be any love for him from his fellow pros.

Wilson is a wind-up merchant and sledger, but he's very rarely violent and I don't think he has a single on-pitch incident to match Hartley's. He's more Brian Moore or maybe a Dallaglio than a Dylan Hartley.

"The court heard that a minion, a red crayon and others in fancy dress were nearby as the incident unfolded." - Even when Wilson is being a dick, it's still brilliant. 

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

Why are the rugby and football teams playing on the same night?  I am aware of several conflicted fans who usually go to Hampden and Murrayfield. 

It's a pain in the backside for me. I'm going to the rugby because 1) it's on my season ticket, 2) my son much prefers rugby to football 3) I really hate going to Hampden these days, especially for an evening game and 4) my office is two tram stops from Murrayfield. If the rugby tonight wasn't on my season ticket I'd have stayed at home and watched the football. I'm now contemplating getting Sky Sports for a month just so I can record the game and watch it as live when I get back.

The rugby tonight is little more than to give game time to those who need it, and the only really interesting thing is the centre combination, while the football is critical - a win and a draw against Russia might well be enough for second place.

If it's anyone's fault it's the SRU's, the football was scheduled first and there's no benefit in having this game on a Friday night. 

7 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Woah, you've taken that too far. I get what you're saying but Dylan Hartley is the asshole's asshole. He's been banned for two seasons since 2007. He's committed eye gouging twice, bitten someone and called a referee a f*cking cheat. And that's before we get to the punching, headbutting and swinging arms. He's also a pretty unpleasant guy all round and there doesn't seem to be any love for him from his fellow pros.

Wilson is a wind-up merchant and sledger, but he's very rarely violent and I don't think he has a single on-pitch incident to match Hartley's. He's more Brian Moore or maybe a Dallaglio than a Dylan Hartley.

"The court heard that a minion, a red crayon and others in fancy dress were nearby as the incident unfolded." - Even when Wilson is being a dick, it's still brilliant. 

Pretty sure there was also a story going round at the time that there had been a shout of "Leave it Batman, he's not worth it"

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

Pretty sure there was also a story going round at the time that there had been a shout of "Leave it Batman, he's not worth it"

What I want to know is, where was Tweedledum during all this? Really let his partner down there.

And they've even got good taste, Barbecue King's does the best pizza in the area. 

17 minutes ago, GordonS said:

It's a pain in the backside for me. I'm going to the rugby because 1) it's on my season ticket, 2) my son much prefers rugby to football 3) I really hate going to Hampden these days, especially for an evening game and 4) my office is two tram stops from Murrayfield. If the rugby tonight wasn't on my season ticket I'd have stayed at home and watched the football. I'm now contemplating getting Sky Sports for a month just so I can record the game and watch it as live when I get back.

The rugby tonight is little more than to give game time to those who need it, and the only really interesting thing is the centre combination, while the football is critical - a win and a draw against Russia might well be enough for second place.

If it's anyone's fault it's the SRU's, the football was scheduled first and there's no benefit in having this game on a Friday night. 

I thought it was a bizarre decision to have it on a Friday, rather than the Saturday especially as it will be what 9.30 or 10.30 pm kick off in Georgia for the TV. You would have though early saturday would have been better

What I want to know is, where was Tweedledum during all this? Really let his partner down there.
And they've even got good taste, Barbecue King's does the best pizza in the area. 

My favourite part is the last line which implies that the minion and the red crayon were not in fancy dress, but the others were. One of the best written news reports you’re likely to read.

8 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

My favourite part is the last line which implies that the minion and the red crayon were not in fancy dress, but the others were. One of the best written news reports you’re likely to read.

Sadly there's no byline, whoever wrote that clearly enjoyed it immensely.

I like Richie Vernon as a shark, too.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/drug-dealer-caught-dressed-as-scooby-959811

Not at all rugby related but a fancy dress crime belter nonetheless.

The true spirit of T in the Park was a guy getting busted for supplying eccies dressed as Scooby Do on the Saturday then wearing the same costume the next day and getting caught for possession.

And George Donnelly, defending, told Perth Sheriff Court that a real drug dealer would not have chosen to dress as a giant cartoon dog. He added: "There was certainly no attempt not to draw attention to himself."