Rugby Union

kiwififer

Im suprised Taylor isn't getting more game time as you would assume he's going to be in the squad. Although thats just maybe because Tom English seems to big him up all the time as he plays for Sarries.

Got to see Fagerson getting a run at 8, but the back row is so competitive, I would say only Watson is a definite at this point. Bradbury may have lost his chance being injured.

Saying that I would have the following as nailed on definites for the squad

Nel, McInally, Grey, Watson, Laidlaw / Price / Horne jr (all 3 SH's will go) Russell & Hastings, Maitland and Hogg so only 20 places and about 30 guys you could make a case for taking.

You could have the likes of Jones, Bhatti, Bergham, Toolis, Gilchrist who have pretty much been ever presents in the squad over the last few years missing out on the world cup

Gilchrist is definitely going and Toolis probably sealed a place when Skinner got injured. I don't see us going with less than 4 locks.

Huw Jones will be going. Berghan is being trained as the switching prop so he is surely going. Bhatti needs strong showings in the final two games. I'd take him over Reid. 

The team choice doesn't surprise me. It's only a WC warm-up but a win to keep confidence up after the win vs France.

It's very forward-heavy from us. Beyond the half-backs it's a bit experimental imo. However it's winning the forward battle that will win us the game. Barring their 9 who plays for Montpellier their backs are still a developing force. If we can win at the set-pieces our backs should be quite clinical anyway imo.

However the Georgians will be up for it at home.

9 hours ago, come on shire said:

The team choice doesn't surprise me. It's only a WC warm-up but a win to keep confidence up after the win vs France.

It's very forward-heavy from us. Beyond the half-backs it's a bit experimental imo. However it's winning the forward battle that will win us the game. Barring their 9 who plays for Montpellier their backs are still a developing force. If we can win at the set-pieces our backs should be quite clinical anyway imo.

However the Georgians will be up for it at home.

I dont think its experimental at all. For me Johnson is 1st choice 12, at the moment no one has 13 nailed down yet. This time last year Jones owned the shirt, but he's quite out of form at the moment, Harris is solid but unspectacular, Taylor could play there but for me is still to prove his match fitness, and Hutchinson I haven't seen enough of so will be interesting to see what he can do starting. I think its Kinghorn's last chance to impress at Full Back as I would have him as about 5th choice at the moment. To me he looks much better on the wing. Although as McGuigan hasn't been seen in a while he may be ahead of him in the pecking order. Graham is 3rd choice winger for me behind Seymour and Maitland 

9 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

My Scottish rugby knowledge is limited, what is Scotland's strongest backs lineup?

Laidlaw, Russell,  H.Jones, Johnson, Seymour, Maitland, Hogg?

If Jones and Taylor are both fit, then either/or. The rest is probably right though - Darcy Graham is great, but Hogg, Maitland and Seymour are individually class, and work brilliantly as a unit. Finn has to start in the big games, and Laidlaw is probably needed for leadership and goalkicking as much as anything else. Horne or Price coming off the bench is a better option than starting one of them with Laidlaw on the bench. And Sam Johnson has been absolutely outstanding.

9 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

If Jones and Taylor are both fit, then either/or. The rest is probably right though - Darcy Graham is great, but Hogg, Maitland and Seymour are individually class, and work brilliantly as a unit. Finn has to start in the big games, and Laidlaw is probably needed for leadership and goalkicking as much as anything else. Horne or Price coming off the bench is a better option than starting one of them with Laidlaw on the bench. And Sam Johnson has been absolutely outstanding.

He thoroughly enjoys a free 30 metre run in under the posts IMO.  

Edit, as does big Huw Jones.

Edited by TheScarf

Gilchrist is definitely going and Toolis probably sealed a place when Skinner got injured. I don't see us going with less than 4 locks.
Huw Jones will be going. Berghan is being trained as the switching prop so he is surely going. Bhatti needs strong showings in the final two games. I'd take him over Reid. 

Agree on all of that.

I’d say Kinghorn will go in the backs, pretty much assuredly.

I’d guess Taylor might be struggling, judging by his relative lack of playing time, and I’d say it’s either him or Hutchinson as the wild card centre. Harris looks like he’s played himself in. That Jones can play 12 or 13 is in his favour. He’s a certainty.

It’s really the front and back row that’s the most open at this point.

The only player in that squad I’d definitely rule out is McGuigan, as well as probably Bradbury, purely on the lack of playing time.

God knows about Strauss. I guess it’s him or Thompson.

2 hours ago, honestly united said:

I dont think its experimental at all. For me Johnson is 1st choice 12, at the moment no one has 13 nailed down yet. This time last year Jones owned the shirt, but he's quite out of form at the moment, Harris is solid but unspectacular, Taylor could play there but for me is still to prove his match fitness, and Hutchinson I haven't seen enough of so will be interesting to see what he can do starting. I think its Kinghorn's last chance to impress at Full Back as I would have him as about 5th choice at the moment. To me he looks much better on the wing. Although as McGuigan hasn't been seen in a while he may be ahead of him in the pecking order. Graham is 3rd choice winger for me behind Seymour and Maitland 

I think in hindsight "experimental" was the wrong word.  I think though Toony can afford to rest the likes of Jones and Hogg without worrying about Seymour's injury as our backs should still have too much (hopefully) for the Georgian backs IF we perform.  Johnson's still relatively new to the Scotland set-up (due to injury in the past) as is Hutchinson.  Kinghorn and D'Arcy Graham are starting to be established but still second to Seymour and Hogg just now imo.

After all it's the Georgian forwards who'll provide the force of the opposition. 

Realistically the remaining choices are Bhatti Vs Reid. Turner Vs Stewart. Thompson Vs Fagerson Vs Bradbury for one place. Harris Vs Horne Vs Hutchinson for two places.

I thought Kinghorn might struggle to get in but every other country is taking five or six back three players.

I think most folk would have liked to see Nel wrapped in cotton wool until the Ireland game, but we need him to make sure the scrum is solid. 
The Georgians have taken over from the Argentineans as the country who see scrummaging as a national sport.

I seem to recall that England flew the Georgian team in to practice against before a Calcutta Cup game. We kicked their sorry arses all over the pitch.

To wit: Georgia - a great bunch of lads.

I think the 4 at 2nd row are all now gauranteed to be in the squad now that Skinner is injured. Hooker is McInally, then Brown if fit, its between either Turner or Stewart for last spot, if not both go.

Prop Dell and Nel I would have as starters, as said above Bergham seems to have had time at both sides so will go. Reid vs Bhatti is interesting, Reid is much better at set piece but Bhatti gives you more about the park and probably fits our style of play better but if you had Reid & Nel proping, as against France your going to get good front foot ball at the scrums, and as we wont be going backwards wont be giving away scrum penalties. Zander gets in as the other tighthead tighthead.

You would expect the squad split to be 17 / 14 forwards and backs so that leaves 5 in the backrow. Watson is a certainty as the only out and out openside, so its 4 from Strauss, Barclay, Ritchie, Bradbury, Wilson, Thompson, Fagerson. I would think one of the backrows will be picked to also cover 2nd row which is one of Fagerson & Wilson. I think Barclay goes as can play all 3 was also captain. I think one of Strauss  ot Thompson as an old fashioned 8. I would take them all if we could, and wouldn't want to be picking, and could come down to GT picking certain players for certain games. At the moment I think the ones missing out will be Ritchie, Bradbury and 1 of Fagerson / Strauss / Thompson only on we haven't seen Bradbury yet so may not be fit and Ritchie has been out the picture since the 1st French game.

the 3 9's and 2 10's both go so your left with 9 players over centre and back 3. Maitland, Hogg and Johnson I would say are definites, as are Seymor and Taylor depending on fitness. so that leaves 4 spots between Jones, Graham (most likely probables) then 2 of Kinghorn, McGuigan, Harris, Horne Sr and Hutchinson