Rugby Union

kiwififer

11 hours ago, ajwffc said:

GUINNESS PRO14 CONFERENCES FOR THE NEXT TWO SEASONS:

Conference A: Glasgow Warriors, Leinster, Ulster, Ospreys, Dragons, Toyota Cheetahs, Zebre.

Conference B: Munster, Connacht, Edinburgh Rugby, Cardiff Blues, Scarlets, Isuzu Southern kings, Benetton Rugby.

Conference A doesn't look like producing any surprises, B is much harder to predict though.

If it wasn't a World Cup year Ospreys might have been a threat but they have no depth when their internationals are away.

Glasgow and Leinster have depth and Ulster don't have too many in the Ireland squad so they should be ok.

Glasgow RWC XV: Kebble, Stewart, Rae, Cummings, Davidson, Ashe, Gibbons, Fagerson, Frisby, Thompson, Niko, McDowall, Steyn, L Jones, Jackson.

Should do the business in the Pro 14.

Edited by Detournement

19 hours ago, peasy23 said:

European draws tomorrow, Glasgow go into a draw with Exeter and Clermont with 2 of the 3 going into Tier 1, all the different permutations for Glasgow are here.

https://www.glasgowwarriors.org/fanzone/henieken-champions-cup-pool-draw-peview

Tough group for Glasgow: Exeter, Sale and La Rochelle.

Edinburgh slightly happier?  Wasps, Bordeaux and Agen.

Given Glasgow are in the big boys competition and Edinburgh in the diddy one it's the former who got the kinder draw.

Also, I know there are some relative experts on competition formats in here so can anyone tell me why Calvisano of Italy get the chance to qualify and not say Ayr who won our Premiership or even just letting the top Romanian team in @HibeeJibee @ajwffc or anyone else?

Edited by afca32

13 minutes ago, afca32 said:

Given Glasgow are in the big boys competition and Edinburgh in the diddy one it's the former who got the kinder draw.

Also, I know there are some relative experts on competition formats in here so can anyone tell me why Calvisano of Italy get the chance to qualify and not say Ayr who won our Premiership or even just letting the top Romanian team in @HibeeJibee @ajwffc or anyone else?

You're right.  I completely forgot that Edinburgh's improvement in form wasn't actually quite what it appeared to be.

Exeter were unlucky not to win the Premiership. La Rochelle have a huge pack and are strong at home and Sale have signed half a dozen Saffers to go with Faf De Klerk. There aren't many easy draws in this tournament though.

Edinburgh won't really be too bothered about Europe. I don't see any of the teams in that group taking it overly seriously.

1 hour ago, afca32 said:

Calvisano qualified via the third tier tournament, which consists of 4 italian clubs, and 1 each from Georgia, Romania, Belgium and Germany.

There are only 2 spots for clubs outside the big 3 leagues. Previously the 2 teams who were already in played off against 2 top teams from the 3rd tier tournament so both teams had a chance to re-qualify but was changed so 2 current teams play off and the 2 qualifying teams play off. It does make sure there is a new team each year, but not alllways the best 2 teams

The Italians are actually doing all the organising (hence there 4 teams), but I dont see there being any reason why Scottish clubs dont enter (or welsh or Irish) other than the prize money is minimal - i had thought it would be ideal for the new pro clubs. The spanish clubs have been making noises about joining again, but I dont think it fits in well with their fixture list, and i think most of the clubs are losing money by playing in it.

We've avoided Sarries which is the main thing - Exeter are tough - more so now they have Hoggy, but are beatable, Sale are probably mostly unknown with the number of signings but will be good, and La Rochelle will depend on where they can still qualify when we play them like most French teams.

Its the top 6 or 7 teams from each league so not many easy games - we should be able to qualify from that group, but will need to work for it.

5 hours ago, honestly united said:

Calvisano qualified via the third tier tournament, which consists of 4 italian clubs, and 1 each from Georgia, Romania, Belgium and Germany.

There are only 2 spots for clubs outside the big 3 leagues. Previously the 2 teams who were already in played off against 2 top teams from the 3rd tier tournament so both teams had a chance to re-qualify but was changed so 2 current teams play off and the 2 qualifying teams play off. It does make sure there is a new team each year, but not alllways the best 2 teams

The Italians are actually doing all the organising (hence there 4 teams), but I dont see there being any reason why Scottish clubs dont enter (or welsh or Irish) other than the prize money is minimal - i had thought it would be ideal for the new pro clubs. The spanish clubs have been making noises about joining again, but I dont think it fits in well with their fixture list, and i think most of the clubs are losing money by playing in it.

Interesting, thanks. Wanted Edinburgh to draw either them or the Russians to give the younger, fringe and even a few of the really talented academy guys a run out but oh well.

Definitely not an easy group for Glasgow but as a 2nd seed you'd want Exeter from the top pot as they've not translated their league form into Europe yet and La Rochelle and Sale were neither the hardest nor the easiest teams they could have drawn from their respective pots.

I would not be surprised if the SRU might try and get a couple of spots for the pro sides in the next couple of seasons(give the new pro league a chance to settle down firs.

Those awful plans for a "Nations Championship" have been abandoned (for the time being).
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/48698587
Any plan like this that needs the all the Six Nations and Rugby Championship sides(teir 1)to agree to too. Need to be well planed out and not just a way to reduce their power.

Fair pool for Edinburgh. The French don't travel well and you could say that they pay little heed to the Challenge Cup. Yes, we had an all French final this year, a French finalist in Bilbao and a French winner at Murrayfield. However they were the bigger French teams you could argue. It'll be between Edinburgh and Wasps imo.

I'm happy with Glasgow's pool. If we still want to make strides forward then these teams must (should?) be beaten at Scotstoun.

We need something away. Exeter are strong at home (but we were unlucky a couple of years ago) and the French have good home records in the Champions Cup. I know Sale Sharks have Faf de Klerk and Lood de Jager. They're babkrolled by Take That's Jason Orange's brother. However we really need to target leaving Greater Manchester with a win.

State of Origin game 2 this weekend at Optus Stadium in Perth on Sunday night. First time ever in Perth but before that there are 3 internationals on Saturday. NZ v Tonga in Auckland followed by a double header at Leichhardt Oval, Sydney, Fiji v Lebanon then Samoa v PNG. There is one Lebanese based player in their squad and doubtful any of the others were born there. . Benji Marshall back in the NZ squad after 7 years and this might be the best game of the weekend with more Tongan than Kiwi fans. Queensland should wrap up the State of Origin series but not putting any money on it.  

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/113673564/new-all-blacks-coach-will-make-debut-with-july-tests-against-wales-scotland

Scotland will play New Zealand over there next summer in what will probably be the last of our summer tests. Hopefully we're now in a position where Southern Hemisphere teams see us as worthwhile opposition to play against on a regular basis each summer.

SHC seems to have a reputation online that isn't based on anything he does on the pitch. There are some right strange people on the Scottish rugby blogs (no one on here btw) who make baseless assumptions about individuals and let it snowball. Good luck to him.

Hurricanes vs Blues has been excellent. Lots of great running rugby but marred by the ref, the TMO and the commentators completely ignoring a straight red Owen Farrell special from a Canes replacement prop to the head of a Bulls player. The World Cup is going to be an officiating shit show.