Rugby Union

kiwififer

4 hours ago, ChrisMFCfan1886 said:

Finally took the plunge after Glasgows result at the weekend and got tickets for the final at Parkhead. Anyone else bought tickets? Hopefully we make it now and avoid a repeat of last year in Dublin where I think more glasgow fans were in the stadium than scarlets fans.

Yeah, I bought some. At a tenner a ticket I figured it was worth a punt! Probably jinxed it.

Yeah, I bought some. At a tenner a ticket I figured it was worth a punt! Probably jinxed it.
I got £10 tickets for section 406 as well which they were selling as "restricted view". Fairly certain my seats are in front of the big pole in that section anyway so considering the view I'll have, £10 is quite good value. Wasn't sure how long they were selling the cheap ones for so took a risk on them and figured I could get in ahead of the mass of people who'll wait until the playoffs to buy them. (worked really well when I went to Dublin last year expecting us to take care of Scarlets in the semi!)

On 4/13/2019 at 18:33, Allan Jacobsen said:

That's a terrific pass by Price for Johnson's try.

This. It was terrific and largely missed. Price has really come back to form after his nightmare post Cardiff. Scotland's No1 9 for me but has to watch George Horne. 

Can't see Edinburgh with much left to play for given other games but pride and a whitewash of Glasgow. That said beating Glasgow's would seriously harm the chances of a Scottish home team final. 

I got £10 tickets for section 406 as well which they were selling as "restricted view". Fairly certain my seats are in front of the big pole in that section anyway so considering the view I'll have, £10 is quite good value. Wasn't sure how long they were selling the cheap ones for so took a risk on them and figured I could get in ahead of the mass of people who'll wait until the playoffs to buy them. (worked really well when I went to Dublin last year expecting us to take care of Scarlets in the semi!)

We got the £10 tickets but the seats directly in front are £50 so hopefully the view shouldn’t be too restricted. Can’t be any more restricted than the west stand at Scotstoun with its 11 pillars and no sight of the top of the posts

13 hours ago, ddfg said:

We got the £10 tickets but the seats directly in front are £50 so hopefully the view shouldn’t be too restricted. Can’t be any more restricted than the west stand at Scotstoun with its 11 pillars and no sight of the top of the posts

I'm in the west stand.  When Scotstoun became an all-seated stadium, I was at the top of the west stand.  I couldn't see the top of the posts and struggled to see the big screen at the other end of the ground when play was at the opposite end.  I asked to be moved so now I'm in the 2nd row.

The Pro14 are looking to do the same deal with ex F1 owners CVC as the English Premiership just made.  From Owen Slot in the Times.

The sale of the major competitions in world rugby to CVC Capital Partners is set to complete its second phase in the next few weeks with the Guinness Pro14 near to settlement of a deal. It will sell just under a third of its commercial shareholding to the private equity firm for about £120 million.

The Pro14 deal will follow the sale of 27 per cent of the Gallagher Premiership, last December, for about £220 million. CVC is also in negotiations to land potentially its biggest asset, which would be a shareholding in the Six Nations.

The deal with the Pro14 has reached exclusivity stage. The Pro14, which is the league structure of the professional clubs of Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Italy plus two from South Africa, has ceased any negotiations with rival firms. The price, structure and the terms of conditions of the sale have all already been agreed with CVC.

Once CVC has the Pro14 under its wing, alongside the Premiership, it will look to see if the opportunity exists to stage an annual grand final between the champions of the two competitions. This has already been discussed with both the Premiership and its Celtic cousins.

Other possibilities that are being considered include the combining of the two leagues at the end-of-season play-off stages whereby the knockout rounds would see a competition where the top four of each league are pitted against each other.

There has also been discussion about disinterring the old idea to introduce a quadrennial world club cup competition between the leading clubs in Europe and those from Super Rugby.

Though the proposals sound dangerously like an extra demand on the players and the number of games they play, The Times understands that any tinkering with competition structures will not be about a greater volume of games but around giving games greater commercial value.

The Pro14 and the Premiership are set to collaborate off the field too. Where CVC sees its greatest opportunities is with the ability to sell the TV rights of the two competitions together. However there is likely to be collaboration between the finance teams and legal teams.

Once CVC has a share of both competitions, then it is likely that it will look to take greater control of the major European competitions, the Heineken Champions Cup and the Challenge Cup too.

Europe’s leading competitions are made up of teams from the three big professional club leagues in Europe: the Premiership, the Pro14 and the Top14 in France. CVC does not need to buy a stake of the Champions Cup; its potential control over two of the three main stakeholders means that it may be able to start controlling Europe and make further income through these two properties and without having to negotiate another purchase.

Though CVC is set to have a share of both the Premiership and the Pro14, the two will remain separate commercial structures. There will be potential for collaborations and partnerships, but Darren Childs, the incoming chief of the Gallagher Premiership, will have no role with the Pro14. Martin Anayi is set to remain in his post as chief executive of the Pro14.

The deal is expected to be finalised in the next four to six weeks. Due to the fact that CVC has already been through this process, there is already a model in place. CVC will have no ownership of the sporting side of the competition. It will not, for instance, be able to influence the laws of the game. As with the Premiership, its purchase will be of a stake of the commercial revenue of the competition.

While CVC goes about completing its deal with the Pro14, it will continue the negotiations with the Six Nations.

CVC might have chosen to do this to counter the World League proposal by World Rugby.

No Pro14 this weekend but Richie Gray is starting versus Leinster and Sean Maitland is on the wing versus Munster. So it's the usual good vs evil rugby weekend.

Sam Hidalgo Clyne starts at 9 for Harlequins in the wee cup against Clermont who have wee Greig on the bench. Quins are going to get smashed.

2 hours ago, afca32 said:

Backing Toulouse to win it from here, not just as they're a brilliant team going under the radar but also as any Scottish person wanting any of the other 3 to win it is a disgrace.

I want a Saracens v Toulouse final in the Champions cup (will also give me 80min more to shout at Lacey) don't care  if the Challenge cup is 2 French sides, 2 English sides or England v France. 

45 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Unfortunately Toulouse won't win in the Aviva. It's a Leinster v Saracens final Nap

Wayne Barnes should stop Leinster using some of their normal tack ticks