Rugby Union

kiwififer

Scotland vs the West Indies in the cricket World Cup qualifiers last year was a hard luck story of epic proportions
Tbf there is not much you can do when the umpires are at it and the ICC help them out by not having DRS in play.

Guest Moomintroll
Owen Farrell is a shit version of his father. I'm old enough to remember when his old man played for Wigan Warriors and if there was a fight happening, he'd be the first one there to defend his teammates - mainly because 10 times out of 10, he'd started it...but that's a side note. Owen's a cheap-shot merchant, Faz would take on 6 players by himself.
Don't even start me on his faces when he is about to take a penalty or conversion. His dads career in Rugby League coincided with my phase of being obsessed with it & he was some player, he seemed to be the playmaker, try scorer, kicker & score settler in one package.

At least now we have Andy Murrays grand slams to stick out like a sore thumb.  otherwise yes it looks like there's plenty of evidence that we are a nation of galant losers. 
other than yestardays game here are just a few examples of "oh well hard lines hold yer heeds high boys!"
v England at football 2017
v Italy at football 2007
v England at football 99
v Australia at rugby 2015
colin Montgomery 1994 ?
the 2014 independence vote?  need I go on? 

Only one team wins any tournament; everybody else has the story of how they lost. You think that list is bad, you should see Italy's. And for a pretty small country, we do alright.

We didn't lose yesterday, it was a brilliant comeback away from home against a top side.

We didn't lose at Hampden in 2017, with possibly the biggest gulf between the sides in the history of the fixture.

Andy Murray, Jamie Murray, Chris Hoy, Laura Muir, Kathrine Grainger - all among our recent world beaters. Our cricket team beat England last year. Our women's football team are a top seed in Europe.

We do alright. We could and should do better, especially in men's football, but we're above par.

Only one team wins any tournament; everybody else has the story of how they lost. You think that list is bad, you should see Italy's. And for a pretty small country, we do alright.

We didn't lose yesterday, it was a brilliant comeback away from home against a top side.

We didn't lose at Hampden in 2017, with possibly the biggest gulf between the sides in the history of the fixture.

Andy Murray, Jamie Murray, Chris Hoy, Laura Muir, Kathrine Grainger - all among our recent world beaters. Our cricket team beat England last year. Our women's football team are a top seed in Europe.

We do alright. We could and should do better, especially in men's football, but we're above par.
Problem is all these mentioned represented GB not Scotland... Just saying. There is certainly something in our DNA. However, Highland Magyar showed what an absolute self loathing c**t he was last night.

13 hours ago, ajwffc said:

Missed the game as I fell asleep just after it started so have not seen the game. But I now don't have to think of a new profile pic for upto another 12 months as we keep the Calcutta Cup

Swap it for the gold one in November.

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

maybe so , & in absolute sporting terms yestardays  result was very good for Scotland however you cant help but feel we are a nation of losers at heart

This was the rugby equivelant of the Scotland 2 England 2 at Hampden a couple years ago. 
We never deserved to take the lead at Hampden though, that was jammy as f**k.

Yesterday in the second half we tore those yuppy b*****ds a new arsehole, and they couldn't stop us.

This was the rugby equivelant of the Scotland 2 England 2 at Hampden a couple years ago. 

It’s an all time international record for highest scoring draw and biggest lead surrendered

It’s more like the Soviet Union coming back from 5-1 down to draw 5-5 with Yugoslavia at the Helsinki Olympics in 1952

It’s an all time international record for highest scoring draw and biggest lead surrendered

It’s more like the Soviet Union coming back from 5-1 down to draw 5-5 with Yugoslavia at the Helsinki Olympics in 1952

Yeah that's what I was thinking [emoji53]

maybe so , & in absolute sporting terms yestardays  result was very good for Scotland however you cant help but feel we are a nation of losers at heart
There's definitely a strain in the Scottish mentality that says "you'll never be good enough" and I think it cost Andy Murray a few grand slams. He didn't believe he was on the same level as the others in the big 4. He was right, but being conscious of it caused a few bottle crashes against them in the early years. Contrast that with Wawrinka who got three chances in his whole career and took them all. I think that until recently Andy didn't see himself as a peer of the second rank greats like Edberg and Becker, even though he definitely is.

So yeah, there's something in that. But we don't all have it and I'm sure Finn Russell and Ali Price don't!

It would be if it were between two huge rivals, in a competition that sport took seriously worldwide, and if the trailing team had come back to lead 6-5 before being pulled back to 6-6 in injury time.

I just watched the game back. The first half is horrible with the defensive line shooting out, biting on dummy runners and missing tackles all over the place. The second half was amazing with lots of big performances. Russell obviously but Bradbury was immense and should be our 8 going forward. Maitland was superb at 15 and Toolis had his best showing in a blue jersey. Hamish Watson was his usual self and did some amount of organising.

There will be real competition to get into the 31 man squad for the World Cup. Guys like Seymour, Kinghorn, Toolis, Richie Gray, Jamie Ritchie, Ryan Wilson, Matt Fagerson, Adam Hastings will have to step up before the end of the season. There will be good players left at home and I think that John Barclay's time has passed sadly.

My team for Ireland Dell, McInally, Fagerson, R Gray, J Gray, Skinner, Watson, Bradbury, Price, Russell, Maitland, Johnson, Jones, Graham, Hogg. Subs Reid, Brown, Berghan, Gilchrist, Wilson, Laidlaw, Hastings, Harris

There's definitely a strain in the Scottish mentality that says "you'll never be good enough" and I think it cost Andy Murray a few grand slams. He didn't believe he was on the same level as the others in the big 4. He was right, but being conscious of it caused a few bottle crashes against them in the early years. Contrast that with Wawrinka who got three chances in his whole career and took them all. I think that until recently Andy didn't see himself as a peer of the second rank greats like Edberg and Becker, even though he definitely is.

So yeah, there's something in that. But we don't all have it and I'm sure Finn Russell and Ali Price don't!

Aye the bit about murray v wawrinka was where im coming from, we are a small country but a first world one so we accept that we will go through spells of sporting mediocrity due to the numbers. That bit is understood.
What we are howling at is being able to make the most of when we do have a few decent players ( rugby and fitbaw) and abit of momentum. After all there are many other nations our size who are able to take chances when they come along but we seem to be serial bottle merchants

It would be if it were between two huge rivals, in a competition that sport took seriously worldwide, and if the trailing team had come back to lead 6-5 before being pulled back to 6-6 in injury time.

It was the closest thing i could find in international football and the Yugoslavs did win the replay so the comeback had an even nastier sting

we could go with Hungary 5-5 Austria 1928. That, like the Calcutta cup, is the most played football rivalry in Europe and second in the world (Argentina vs Uruguay and the Bledisloe cup being the most played) but Hungary never got more than two goals ahead so it doesn’t have the big comeback.

There are a couple of other 5-5 draws

Netherlands 5-5 Germany in 1912 although that was only the 3rd meeting I cant find the scorers and the game was very much in its infancy there. Germany had recently lost 9-0 to England’s amateurs.

And Netherlands 5-5 Belgium 1999 a friendly where both teams led twice

In truth it’s going to be very difficult to find anything genuinely like that game in any international sport anywhere at any point in history.

And the fact that it was such an unusual and unprecedented event means we should probably not try to read to much into it never mind make pronouncements on the character of entire nations.

What we have learned though is

1: That when Townsend’s Scotland are flowing well they‘re a match for anybody

2: when things don’t work out for Scotland it can get very messy very quickly .

3: We broke England at Murrayfield a year ago and they’re still broken.

We pretty much knew all these things already but it’s good to be reminded of the first and last.

It was the closest thing i could find in international football and the Yugoslavs did win the replay so the comeback had an even nastier sting

we could go with Hungary 5-5 Austria 1928. That, like the Calcutta cup, is the most played football rivalry in Europe and second in the world (Argentina vs Uruguay and the Bledisloe cup being the most played) but Hungary never got more than two goals ahead so it doesn’t have the big comeback.

There are a couple of other 5-5 draws

Netherlands 5-5 Germany in 1912 although that was only the 3rd meeting I cant find the scorers and the game was very much in its infancy there. Germany had recently lost 9-0 to England’s amateurs.

And Netherlands 5-5 Belgium 1999 a friendly where both teams led twice

In truth it’s going to be very difficult to find anything genuinely like that game in any international sport anywhere at any point in history.

And the fact that it was such an unusual and unprecedented event means we should probably not try to read to much into it never mind make pronouncements on the character of entire nations.

What we have learned though is

1: That when Townsend’s Scotland are flowing well they‘re a match for anybody

2: when things don’t work out for Scotland it can get very messy very quickly .

3: We broke England at Murrayfield a year ago and they’re still broken.

We pretty much knew all these things already but it’s good to be reminded of the first and last.

Point 2 of the 3 is the scariest one with the world cup looming large. I think Scotland's defence bought every dummy run in the first half yesterday and got torn apart as a result. Finn's comments were also a bit worrying about the chat with Toony at half time, sounded to me that the players weren't completely sold on the tactics they were asked to use in the first half.

Point 2 of the 3 is the scariest one with the world cup looming large. I think Scotland's defence bought every dummy run in the first half yesterday and got torn apart as a result. Finn's comments were also a bit worrying about the chat with Toony at half time, sounded to me that the players weren't completely sold on the tactics they were asked to use in the first half.

Townsend as a player was like that. He was head and shoulders above any other Western Hemisphere 10 at his best, but on his off days, he would look an utter diddy. He always tried too much, but when it worked, it worked. One day, Scotland will hammer somebody very decent. But they’ll more often look like they’ve never played before.

None of that has much to do with the porous defence though. That’s just incompetent coaching.

Guest Bob Mahelp

The stupidity of giving away a midfield penalty with seconds left on the clock and England going nowhere will long be burned into the recesses of my mind.

I might need professional help to stop myself waking up in the morning and my very first thought being ' all you had to do was not give away a penalty. All you had to do. All you had to do...'

:(