Rugby Union

kiwififer

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

Even though it felt inevitable, can anyone explain what England’s late penalty was for?

For such a pivotal moment in the outcome. with about 2 seconds of normal time left, everyone seemed very matter of fact about it.

Also given the Australia QF and the Harry Kane Hampden goal after the Griffiths free kicks, is this just our national psyche......?

The penalty that gave them the kick to the corner on 80:00 was for hands on the ground by Fraser Brown. It looks fair enough. The ref yells "no!" then after the whistle says "at first you were ok, but then you played it on the ground."

On 81:20 there's a penalty for what the ref calls "stopping the maul." I think he means pulling it down. I can't see the offence but there's a Scotland player right in the middle with his backside sticking out.

On 81:51 there's another penalty, a new advantage right in front of the posts, against 16 blue (Brown again) for not rolling away. You can't see what happened on the broadcast but the ref is right on top of it.

There's evidence in here of why McInally is the starting hooker over Brown...

As for the Aussie QF, it was a wrong decision and a cruel blow, but I've made my peace with the ref. In real time it did look like it had gone forward off a Scottish hand and neither of the commentators said anything about it until the replay. The ref didn't have the option of the TMO for it.

Missed the game as I fell asleep just after it started so have not seen the game. But I now don't have to think of a new profile pic for upto another 12 months as we keep the Calcutta Cup

This was the rugby equivelant of the Scotland 2 England 2 at Hampden a couple years ago. 
Given the demented scoring, it was like that game if England had led 5-0 and it had been 5-1 at half time, with it finishing 6-6. It was the biggest margin ever recovered in the history of international rugby, and ended in the highest scoring draw ever. It's the most points and tries we've ever scored against England, home or away. England held their biggest ever half time lead over us. It was Scotland-England multiplied by Motherwell-Hibs.

2 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Bipolar thread fitting for a bipolar game.  I met my son (and his dug, born in Aberdeenshire) at the station and, as we walked back to the house, the chat was about how much we'd get pumped by.  We both went for 30ish to England and 10ish to Scotland.  About 12 mins or so in I calculated that England were scoring at a rate of 1.5 points a minute and we speculated it could get in to treble figures.

The turning point of the match was when he went for a shite and missed McInally's try.  I said it could keep the score respectable and he reckoned we should just play cribbage rather than torture ourselves.  Both of us were wrong.

Astonishing 2nd half.  I don't know if I should be happy or sad.  Maybe happy since England celebrated with glee over scraping a draw vs Scotland at Twickenham?

Anyway, special mention to @Highlandmagyar 2nd TierThanks for today's revelation.  I now know what a complete arsehole I must come across as on the Indyref threads.  At least I try to be sincere.  You, though, are a fucking disgrace so GIRFUY.

Aww! You took time out to mention me through your gin filled haze. I didn't know you cared. Love you too.

8 hours ago, tarapoa said:

]

Also given the Australia QF and the Harry Kane Hampden goal after the Griffiths free kicks, is this just our national psyche......?

At least now we have Andy Murrays grand slams to stick out like a sore thumb.  otherwise yes it looks like there's plenty of evidence that we are a nation of galant losers. 

other than yestardays game here are just a few examples of "oh well hard lines hold yer heeds high boys!"

v England at football 2017

v Italy at football 2007

v England at football 99

v Australia at rugby 2015

colin Montgomery 1994 ?

the 2014 independence vote?  need I go on? 

Just now, effeffsee_the2nd said:

At least now we have Andy Murrays grand slams to stick out like a sore thumb.  otherwise yes it looks like there's plenty of evidence that we are a nation of galant losers. 

other than yestardays game here are just a few examples of "oh well hard lines hold yer heeds high boys!"

v Italy at football 2007

v England at football 99

colin Montgomery 1994 ?

Absolutely this.

3 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

It's nice that you still acknowledge me. Touching.

It was hard to miss your embarrassing performance on this otherwise highly enjoyable thread last night. I'd assumed you were probably pished, but you're still at it :lol:

I think i actually pity you.

Just now, jupe1407 said:

It was hard to miss your embarrassing performance on this otherwise highly enjoyable thread last night. I'd assumed you were probably pished, but you're still at it :lol:

I think i actually pity you.

No need for pity. I rarely drink, but I am very comfortable within my own skin thank you. Have a nice day.

Get this piece of shit on ignore and stop his desperate attention seeking from derailing this thread (and all others he tries his act on).

Edited by DA Baracus

9 hours ago, GordonS said:
10 hours ago, Acastus said:
This was the rugby equivelant of the Scotland 2 England 2 at Hampden a couple years ago. 

Given the demented scoring, it was like that game if England had led 5-0 and it had been 5-1 at half time, with it finishing 6-6. It was the biggest margin ever recovered in the history of international rugby, and ended in the highest scoring draw ever. It's the most points and tries we've ever scored against England, home or away. England held their biggest ever half time lead over us. It was Scotland-England multiplied by Motherwell-Hibs.

True, yesterday was a far greater comeback.  I just meant their late try was like the Harry Kane equaliser but I am so proud of that team yesterday. 

v Italy at football 2007
v England at football 99
colin Montgomery 1994 ?

Scotland vs the West Indies in the cricket World Cup qualifiers last year was a hard luck story of epic proportions