Rugby Union

kiwififer

Owen Farrell seems like the most uninspiring captain. You see him talking at the end in the huddle and the players look utterly bored and disinterested. Then you hear him talk and you see why. I think a lack of leadership on the park is England's real problem. When they are good they are great, when it goes against them they don't know what to do.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

6 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Owen Farrell seems like the most uninspiring captain. You see him talking at the end in the huddle and the players look utterly bored and disinterested. Then you hear him talk and you see why. I think a lack of leadership on the park is England's real problem. When they are good they are great, when it goes against them they don't know what to do.

They probably know he's a massive fud. 

7 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:
9 minutes ago, TheScarf said:
They probably know he's a massive fud. 

He's too northern and normal for the inbred SE private school scene.

Yep he stands out a mile.  Doesn't sound like he's on that Made in Chelsea so is probably ostracised in the camp. 

17 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Owen Farrell is a shit version of his father. I'm old enough to remember when his old man played for Wigan Warriors and if there was a fight happening, he'd be the first one there to defend his teammates - mainly because 10 times out of 10, he'd started it...but that's a side note. Owen's a cheap-shot merchant, Faz would take on 6 players by himself.

One of the many fantastic aspects of this, and winning last year, is we now live rent free in England's head.

Imagine what the talk will be ahead of them coming to Murrayfield next year. And there's no lead they can build up, no dominance they can have, that won't set off a wee voice in their head saying "we've been here before."

The last 3 mins had exactly the same feel as Australia in the 2015 World Cup - you knew what was coming and I wonder how we fix that? But f**k it, after 31 mins and 31 points down you’ll take it.

Overall,  Bradbury was very effective at 8. With Mata signing on it would be good for Scotland to get him over to Glasgow for game time but not sure how likely that would be.

Johnson should  start at 12 every day of the week. I like Horne but SJ is a class above. If Hew Jones gets fit it’d be good to see them together. Or Taylor outside SJ. 

Price really has to start from now on, he was excellent.

Lads, I was there. I can't decide if I'm happy or sad but I'm absolutely proud as f**k. I also represented the P&B boys when I shouted " FUCKING SHITEBAG VUNIPOLA" and he clearly heard me, then an English guy tried to give me a right good talking to about my obnoxious behaviour at the end. What a fucking game.

2 hours ago, eez-eh said:

I don’t know an awful lot about rugby rules so can someone explain the advantage rule for me? Seems a bit ridiculous how long it carries on for sometimes - you’d almost be as well just giving the attacking team a try as you basically hamper the defensive team from making any attempt to win the ball.

I agree the advantage rule lasts way too long sometimes. It does provide some great tries though, through crossfield kicks.

Even though it felt inevitable, can anyone explain what England’s late penalty was for?

For such a pivotal moment in the outcome. with about 2 seconds of normal time left, everyone seemed very matter of fact about it.

Also given the Australia QF and the Harry Kane Hampden goal after the Griffiths free kicks, is this just our national psyche......?

49 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Even though it felt inevitable, can anyone explain what England’s late penalty was for?

For such a pivotal moment in the outcome. with about 2 seconds of normal time left, everyone seemed very matter of fact about it.

Also given the Australia QF and the Harry Kane Hampden goal after the Griffiths free kicks, is this just our national psyche......?

Yep. It seems to be our fate.

Given England were guaranteed another go at us from a penalty advantage the smart thing would have been to let them score in the corner and hope that they missed the conversion.  Of course they might have messed up the penalty they were due to get but it was probably less likely they would do that than miss a conversion from the touchline. Of course in the heat of the battle it would have been incredibly difficult if not nigh on impossible to make that decision

Bipolar thread fitting for a bipolar game.  I met my son (and his dug, born in Aberdeenshire) at the station and, as we walked back to the house, the chat was about how much we'd get pumped by.  We both went for 30ish to England and 10ish to Scotland.  About 12 mins or so in I calculated that England were scoring at a rate of 1.5 points a minute and we speculated it could get in to treble figures.

The turning point of the match was when he went for a shite and missed McInally's try.  I said it could keep the score respectable and he reckoned we should just play cribbage rather than torture ourselves.  Both of us were wrong.

Astonishing 2nd half.  I don't know if I should be happy or sad.  Maybe happy since England celebrated with glee over scraping a draw vs Scotland at Twickenham?

Anyway, special mention to @Highlandmagyar 2nd TierThanks for today's revelation.  I now know what a complete arsehole I must come across as on the Indyref threads.  At least I try to be sincere.  You, though, are a fucking disgrace so GIRFUY.