Rugby Union

kiwififer

7 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

A bit upset at a game played by upper class fuckwits? Aye OK.

It's quite reassuring to know that you are a Grade A wahoo across multiple forums.

Meanwhile, total respect to the Scottish squad for their contribution to one of the most remarkable rugby internationals I've ever watched.

The English pundits are squirming beautifully at the fact that Wales and Ireland are a level above them these days.

It absolutely kills them. 

I don’t know an awful lot about rugby rules so can someone explain the advantage rule for me? Seems a bit ridiculous how long it carries on for sometimes - you’d almost be as well just giving the attacking team a try as you basically hamper the defensive team from making any attempt to win the ball.

Just now, eez-eh said:

I don’t know an awful lot about rugby rules so can someone explain the advantage rule for me? Seems a bit ridiculous how long it carries on for sometimes - you’d almost be as well just giving the attacking team a try as you basically hamper the defensive team from making any attempt to win the ball.

It's supposed to be a tactical or territorial advantage.

If it's a knock-on, kicking it away will generally end the advantage, since most teams would prefer territory over a scrum further back.

If it's a penalty, it's a bit more difficult, since you would almost always get more of an advantage going back for the penalty, especially within 10m of the opposition line.

Would an advantage time limit make an improvement to the game? Say a 1 minute advantage then its gone? 

The dynamic of having advantage then it coming back for the penalty could go on forever. 

If it's a penalty advantage then the attacking team needs to make a significant yardage gain before the ref would call advantage over. The only way those last few weren't coming back for a penalty to England was if they scored a try, if they had knocked it on it Scotland had turned it over it would have been a penalty to England.

Wee bit different from a scrum advantage. If the attacking team decide to kick it away they almost always give up their scrum, if they make maybe 10-15 metres then the advantage is probably over too.

Nice to finish a tough tourney on a bit of a high, but that first half defensive performance was awful.

Dismissing Scotland for bottlers after failing to hold on for 8 minutes in a game that had already seen 10 tries is not only daft it presents a lexical problem

Because setting the bar that low would force us to dismiss England as megahyperturbosuperuberbottlers

Which is a bit of a mouthful

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

Would an advantage time limit make an improvement to the game? Say a 1 minute advantage then its gone? 

The dynamic of having advantage then it coming back for the penalty could go on forever. 

Not sure that's workable tbh. It would also be a fairly arbitrary selection of the time, unless you had people going back to calculate the average penalty advantage time over the last however many years of games.

Also, what happens if you have a penalty under the posts, but the time expires in the corner trying to score? That's not exactly an advantage.

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

:lol: aye England will be shiting it now we`ve scored.

Thing is, that's *exactly* what the English players thought. At half time their heads were back at their clubs.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Would be as well taking Finn off at HT, his decision making has been dreadful, and his kicking has been worse.

1 hour ago, skiblue said:

Agreed...total pish 2day

Nobody ever gets to question The Finn. Ever. 

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

There's also now a part of me that's disappointed Wales had already won and we didn't f**k up England's day even more.

its-shite-being-scottish.jpg

Would England have been so off the pace in the second half if there had been a championship on the line?

But yes, that would have been the best thing ever.