Rugby Union

kiwififer

14 hours ago, ajwffc said:

They are missing some players on the list and some of the non Scots came through the Scottish Rugby Academy 

Lewis Carmichael - born in Edinburgh went to North Berwick high school 

Peter Horne - born in Aberdeen went to Bell Baxter High School in Cupar(as did Chris Fusaro)

Duncan Weir - born in Rutherglen went to Cathkin High School in Cambuslang 

Jonny Gray -  born in Rutherglen went to Calderglen High School in East Kilbride

Ali Price - English born with a Scottish mother developed by the Scottish Rugby Academy

Also some of the players that went to private schools started of at state run high schools but were offered scholarships due to their rugby ability. 

Jamie Ritchie, George Horne, the Fagersons and Murray McCallum all offered rugby scholarships at Strathallan and McDowall and Hidalgo-Clyne at Merchiston. All been in and around the Scotland squad/team recently. Plus young pros like Cammy Fenton and Bruce Flockhart at Strathallan and Paddy Kelly at Merchiston.

Kevin Ferrie is a fuckwit. Surprised he didn't manage to shoehorn a mention of his stellar 3rd XI cricket career in there like he normally does.
To be fair I never read the herald just saw the link on the BBC website down below the Steyn call up. Good to see our rugby journalist are as good as our football ones

36 minutes ago, afca32 said:

Jamie Ritchie, George Horne, the Fagersons and Murray McCallum all offered rugby scholarships at Strathallan and McDowall and Hidalgo-Clyne at Merchiston. All been in and around the Scotland squad/team recently. Plus young pros like Cammy Fenton and Bruce Flockhart at Strathallan and Paddy Kelly at Merchiston.

Bradbury went to Oban High then got a scholarship to a private school. Richie Gray was at state schools as well before private schools.

15 hours ago, Detournement said:

Bradbury went to Oban High then got a scholarship to a private school. Richie Gray was at state schools as well before private schools.

Yeah dunno how I missed Bradbury. Another at Merchiston.

16 hours ago, Detournement said:

Aye Murray McCallum was in the same school as me, to avoid any doubt, it wasn't a private school. 

He did though play rugby for other schools because our school didn't have a rugby team. 

8 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Aye Murray McCallum was in the same school as me, to avoid any doubt, it wasn't a private school. 

He did though play rugby for other schools because our school didn't have a rugby team. 

Did he not get a scholarship later on? I know a guy who played front row with him at school and got that impression.

9 hours ago, afca32 said:

Did he not get a scholarship later on? I know a guy who played front row with him at school and got that impression.

Aye pretty sure he did, I didn't think to ask him whenever I seen him after I'd left tbf. 

The starting line up doesn't look too bad considering the number of injuries we have. Relieved to see that Maitland is back and playing at fullback, and that Sam Johnson is back in ahead of Horne.

Jonny Gray can have no complaints about being dropped to the bench but Toolis offers nothing. Skinner & Watson starting is great but I can't understand why we've dropped Strauss (who's been decent) for Bradbury (who's been largely annoymous).

We're going to get hammered anyway...

45645.jpeg

Edited by Jaggy Snake

Would probably have preferred Strauss at 8, shift Bradbury to blind side and Skinner to 2nd row dropping Toolis, but much of a muchness.

Ideally Ireland beat wales denying them a grandslam, then we beat england denying them the title. But unlikely to happy - and on 2nd thoughts that would give Ireland the title so that wouldn't do.

If wales win though the pressure is off England and they may run riot 

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

What’s happened to Richie Gray?

He was injured, but came back a few weeks ago for Toulouse, probably letting him concentrate on getting back in with his club after a lengthy absence, and having not been in the squad for about 2 years probably would struggle with calls, moves, game plan etc in a short space of time. But I would have had him called up.

Tuning in to see the Scotland under 20s. It's slightly unusual seeing a Redpath playing against Scotland as she I grew up I was so used to seeing his dad play for us. But I understand his choice growing up down south, probably never a doubt for him.