Rugby Union

kiwififer

6 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

I just looked up the prices for the Scotland Women's game against Wales at Scotstoun tonight. Adult tickets are £20! Who the hell is going to pay that? Surely they should be dirt cheap to try and encourage people to go.

Yeah, if I didn't get it free with the season pass I don't think I'd have spent £60 going to the three matches.

I thought they played well tonight, they made yards with the ball in hand, recycled pretty well and scored a really good try to go 15-10 up. Wales were clearly the better team, had scrum dominance and by far the better line-out and kicking, so for Scotland to given themselves a chance of winning it was impressive, and their best performance at home this season. Just a pity they couldn't see it out. Had it not been so windy and the kicking been better, they'd have slotted the two conversions and won the game. Alas, another whitewash awaits and not much in the way of signs of progress yet. 

On 07/03/2019 at 13:53, GAD said:

I reckon there will be a lot of box kicks to Graham. The Welsh wingers are big so it'll be a real test for him. To be honest, I don't really see any area where we have the edge over Wales, apart from at no 10. Previously I'd have taken Seymour over any Welsh winger as well, but not anymore, and the forwards, especially the back row, look outgunned. It's going to need a huge effort and we can't afford to give away any cheap points. I'm hoping for the best, but I think it could be a long afternoon.

Well I generally agree with you and the other pessimistic predictions, one place I think we have an advantage is pace in the back three. Graham and Kinghorn are going to be class players and if Wales kick to them, rather than kick to compete, they'll get the ball run back at them in scary ways.

This isn't really a 6 Nations campaign, the injuries have been bloody ridiculous, so I'm not too bothered about the result tomorrow or at Twickenham. We're forced into making this about the future, and giving that talent serious game time and responsibility at the highest level. Maybe it'll be the making of some and pay off in the long run, who knows. 

Have no problem with them kicking to Graham. He might be wee but he's class under the high ball.

Also great to see the 20s get the win. If not for the late tries it would've looked resounding. Lots of talented players in that team.

Edited by afca32

27 minutes ago, GordonS said:

This isn't really a 6 Nations campaign, the injuries have been bloody ridiculous, so I'm not too bothered about the result tomorrow or at Twickenham. 

I completely agree with the rest of your post but this bit sticks in my craw.

Yes, our injury list has been massive but we shouldn't be writing off tournaments or games due to injury as we "should" be producing strength in depth to cover injuries, but that's difficult with our limited opportunities at the pro teams(hopefully we'll have a third sometime, arguably we should've always had one had we not made a mess of it all the first time round ). 

Also, I hate fans saying they aren't too bothered about the result beforehand. They're usually the first later to scream from the rafters about how fantastic a victory it is for the team or to rip into the coach or players for letting us down. That's all fine, and indeed expected from fans, but not after you claim total apathy about said event before it happens!

10 hours ago, same_ol_g35 said:

I completely agree with the rest of your post but this bit sticks in my craw.

Yes, our injury list has been massive but we shouldn't be writing off tournaments or games due to injury as we "should" be producing strength in depth to cover injuries, but that's difficult with our limited opportunities at the pro teams(hopefully we'll have a third sometime, arguably we should've always had one had we not made a mess of it all the first time round ). 

Also, I hate fans saying they aren't too bothered about the result beforehand. They're usually the first later to scream from the rafters about how fantastic a victory it is for the team or to rip into the coach or players for letting us down. That's all fine, and indeed expected from fans, but not after you claim total apathy about said event before it happens!

I think Scotland do have decent depth, especially for a country with such a small base. But you can't lose 6 centres and at least 6 back row forwards and your world class full back and your work class stand off and your two good tight heads, plus many others, and it not significantly lower the quality. And it's not just the quality, it's the lack of fluency caused by having combinations all over the park that have never played together, and on top of that the lack of experience of how to win 6 Nations games. Scotland aim to play the quickest rugby in the northern hemisphere and for that you need to have had game time together against tier 1 opposition. Before this campaign many of them didn't even have international squad time together and as games have gone on and we've brought on subs who, let's face it, have no place in a Scotland squad, we just weren't Scotland.

I'll be very happy if we win because it would require a lot of players to give huge performances and exceed expectations. I'm definitely not apathetic, if I were I wouldn't be going. But unless we get a doing I can't be too upset at a defeat, because even if we're good we should still lose. Guys like Horne and Grigg will need to play like we've never seen them play at international level just for us to be competitive.

I was disappointed in some after the Ireland game, but I defended them after the France game. What I'm hoping for today is more composure, those coming back from injury to gain sharpness, the leaders to give more leadership in the hard moments and the less experienced players to play their game and trust their skills. A win would be a very welcome bonus. Every time I think of Gatland's face I want to put on a big pair of headphones and go full Kevin Keegan.

Don't think we will score a try today, maybe a consolation

Wales will blow this open 2nd half.

It’s the promise that hurts the most. I almost preferred it when Frank Hadden was doing well if we beat Italy at home and made a line break in any of the other games.